Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 8:41 pm

How is ADHD lumped in with AS? As a comorbidity I guess. I firmly believe that ADHD is mild sociopathy just as aspergers is mild autism. I don't think there should be any confusion between the two.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 6:49 am

So those of us with ADHD are sociopaths?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 6:53 am

I believe the OP is using old terms. She doesn’t believe people with ADHD are sociopaths in the modern sense.

Asperger’s was once known as “autistic psychopathy.” This did not mean that Aspergians were seen as being psychopaths in the modern sense.

Both psychopath and sociopath just meant that they had something which deviated from the “norm.” They didn’t have the more specific meaning of modern days.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 12:01 pm

^^ Yes, shifting boundaries. I seem to recall that, at one time, you couldn't be diagnosed with AD(H)D and Autism because the AD(H)D traits were thought to be a sub-set of autism. Now, the dual diagnosis seems to be accepted. I see a lot of commonality in what I describe as executive function impairments between my experience and how people describe aspects of their AD(H)D, particularly the pure inattentive kind. It is possible I have both, as they my autism assessor referred me to the OP to have it looked into, but the referral didn't happen for lack of staff and waiting lists that took priority.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 1:37 pm

i don't know how ADD would be compatible with the hyperattentive focusing on one thing, that's so common with autism.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 12:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe the OP is using old terms. She doesn’t believe people with ADHD are sociopaths in the modern sense.

Asperger’s was once known as “autistic psychopathy.” This did not mean that Aspergians were seen as being psychopaths in the modern sense.

Both psychopath and sociopath just meant that they had something which deviated from the “norm.” They didn’t have the more specific meaning of modern days.

Thanks for your understanding but I really do mean that. "Mild" sociopathic traits is what I should have used. It's not an evil person as much as its rather naughty behaviors. Remember, even in sociopathy, not every sociopath is a killer. There's different types of antisocial behavior - some behavior hurts another person's body or it will hurt their emotions or their road in life. Like with with Autism, you have a person who is an everyday kind of guy, has a wife, kids and has an uncanny ability to memorize things whereas you have a person who is severly autistic to where they need care everyday but have an uncanny memory - but that's all that they have going on for them. Can you see what I mean? I really don't mean to offend. I'm just making an observation. Like theft: one can steal a pack of gum, one can rob a liquor store, or one can rob another's identity. It's all theft just the same. How does it impact the victim? Isn't that the measure of how bad a behavior is. The difference between being slapped or stabbed. In court assault is assault just the same. Is groping the same as rape? It gets interesting. Sueing for pain and suffering is relatively new. I never heard of it before the 1970's. I'm standing my ground: ADHD has nothing to do with Asperger's. One could have a co-morbidity but even with ADD, it's the H that should be specifically noted for future problems with the law and authority. I think that ADD is simply that and had nothing to do with ADHD. If you know anything about sociopathy, you probably know that they are always bored and their drives are way too jacked up. That's what the H is in ADHD. I don't know much about chemistry but it's strange how CNS stimulating drugs help hyperactive kids concentrate. This blows my mind. It's all about the DNA. I won't go into detail for fear but I grew up with a psychopath neighborhood boy and heard and followed all the gossip about his life. He's dead now - maybe not. His first wife was the "goofy" girl of the neighborhood. I know that sounds mean but their children ranged from psychopathic to sociopathic to narcissistic to ADHD. They had around 7 kids - all more or less mean. The six male children are dead, the one female is alive and on her third marriage with the first two yielding very big settlements. He has fathered children with about 20 women besides his wife. This scares me because men like this drop their seed all over the place - probably why the world is becoming such a nasty place. The whole problem with psychiatry is that they're always looking at behaviors. Behaviors can be modified by the subject being observed. If we could look at the DNA, then and only then can we see this clearly but that's left for the very far future.
Like a cat acting like a dog. If you never saw a dog but knew what a dog does, then you'd think this creature was a dog. It's not. When in an uncontrolled situation, it will revert right back to its original instincts. Every kid that I grew up with that would have gotten the diagnosis of ADHD had a bad ending. Back then, they were the bad kid in class, the class clown, the kid desperate for attention. The teachers would bend over backwards as well as the other kids to fill the voids these kids seemed to have. They had no voids. They'd take advantage and still remained just as they were. All the girls wanted to go out with them because they were such characters. They were so entertaining for the kids who didn't want to do school work. People like this are NOT a gift in a classroom or work environment. Adults who are like them recognize them right away. I told my son if he ever should meet such a person, stay away. They love aspies because we are fodder for them. ADHD is low functioning sociopathy. I don't care what anybody thinks. That's my opinion. If a person with ADHD fearlessly rescues another individual from a catastrophe even if it's for their own recognition, what does it matter if that person has ADHD. They saved somebody just the same. The question is did the person with ADHD create the catastrophe in order to be recognized for the rescue? That makes a big difference. That means that they gambled with a life. Thus the ADHD is horribly upgraded to sociopath. Think it through everybody. Motives behind behaviors carry a lot of weight. Some people marry for money yet show love. Some marry for money yet sicken or kill their spouses. It's all a spectrum of behaviors and it has a hereditary factor to it.