Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 7:44 pm

I really hate this word.
It is a slur, and yet people use it so casually, even, I've noticed, to complain about another slur.
I don't get why out of all the slurs that could be used, that one is somehow seen as less bad.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 7:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
Boomers grew up in a time when being PC was reserved for preachers and maiden aunts.

I was not aware there was any "PC" growing up in the 60's and 70's

Fnord wrote:
"ret*d" was synonymous with "ignorant", "clueless", "misinformed", and "mistaken".

True. "ret*d" came into common use later

Fnord wrote:
"Spaz" was synonymous with "clumsy", "uncoordinated", and a general lack of physical grace.

The word was short for "spastic"

Fnord wrote:
"Queer" was synonymous with "weak", "skinny", "smart", "bookish" and a general lack of interest in sports.

It was synonymous with a homosexual. Guys that were "weak", "skinny", "smart", "bookish" and guys that were not into sports were considered unmanly ie homosexual.

Fnord wrote:
Back then, these words were in common usage by just about everyone, and were little more than just labels.

They were in common usage but were more than just labels. They were insults, fighting words, especially "queer" and "ret*d"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 7:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the 1960s, a gay person wasn't "gay" yet. Gay still meant "happy." He was either a "homo" or a "queer."

I started hearing "gay" in the 1970s.

"Lesbian" was sort of an exotic word that I heard occasionally, but didn't know its meaning. I didn't have a concept of a homosexual woman when I was a little kid.

The saying in my dad's 1946 high school yearbook was "Our hearts are young and gay". When the meaning changed we joked about it.

I knew damm well what lesbien meant. It was one of the biggest turn-ons/fantasies. That actual lesbian girls would want nothing to do with us seemed never to be mentioned.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 20 Sep 2018, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 11:59 pm

It's supposed to have become as taboo to use as the N word. But that didn't catch on and people still use it. Personally I'm not bothered by it, even though I suppose I'm supposed to be.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 12:03 am

I remember in elementary school, there were two LD classes. The ignorant kids who went to my school called those two classes "The ret*d Classes". That was back in the 1980s and it really hurt. I thought that I was actually the R-Word until my mum told me about my autism.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 9:03 am

I have a Master's in English, and am definitely not mentally ret*d but, in terms of life experience, I would consider myself ret*d. I may never catch up socially and in terms of relationships.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 11:38 am

If one is a person in her 50's, and has the "maturity" of a person in her 30's, that's not "ret*d" at all.

That's "young."

I am of that type---except maybe I have the social maturity of someone in his 20's. I've been called "socially ret*d" before. I don't believe in the concept.

Space50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2018, 1:17 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Boomers grew up in a time when being PC was reserved for preachers and maiden aunts.

I was not aware there was any "PC" growing up in the 60's and 70's

That's right. There were no PCs back then. Computers were the size of a room. :lol:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 1:41 pm

EzraS wrote:
It's supposed to have become as taboo to use as the N word. But that didn't catch on and people still use it. Personally I'm not bothered by it, even though I suppose I'm supposed to be.

i'm not bothered by it either, and i don't buy the idea that you're "supposed" to feel a certain way towards a specific word just because you are a member of one group or another.

if you're not offended by it, that's okay, and that's all there is to it. personally i've probably been called "ret*d" more times in the last month and a half, than the preceding three years put together.

as for "ret*d" becoming as taboo as the n-word, i don't think it's going to happen for the sole reason for the sole reason that intellectually disabled are a smaller group.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Sep 2018, 4:56 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
[as for "ret*d" becoming as taboo as the n-word, i don't think it's going to happen for the sole reason for the sole reason that intellectually disabled are a smaller group.
I think the N word is taboo because African Americans took the word & made it their own. The intellectually disabled would have to start calling themselves & their group members as ret*d in order for the word to become super taboo.

I was called ret*d alot as a kid but i had no clue what it meant at the time. The word was also sometimes abbreviated as Tardy & I was called Tardy Boy. I'm OK with others using the word as long as the people the word is being used on don't get very offended. I call myself ret*d sometimes because I am mentally slow compared to my peers.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Space50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2018, 5:08 pm

nick007 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
[as for "ret*d" becoming as taboo as the n-word, i don't think it's going to happen for the sole reason for the sole reason that intellectually disabled are a smaller group.
I think the N word is taboo because African Americans took the word & made it their own. The intellectually disabled would have to start calling themselves & their group members as ret*d in order for the word to become super taboo.

I was called ret*d alot as a kid but i had no clue what it meant at the time. The word was also sometimes abbreviated as Tardy & I was called Tardy Boy. I'm OK with others using the word as long as the people the word is being used on don't get very offended. I call myself ret*d sometimes because I am mentally slow compared to my peers.

A tardy boy is a boy who has showed up to class late.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 7:02 pm

nick007 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The term for somebody who was considered smart and clumsy was "egghead.
EggHead was a villain on the old BatMan series with Adam West. He didn't seem clumsy to me.

He was Olgas b*tch in season 3 though....sadly

("Let gayfellow take you to the cleaners" , slogan painted on a blue van on Batman...hilarious when you consider Cesar was gay :lol:

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 7:39 pm

collectoritis wrote:
nick007 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The term for somebody who was considered smart and clumsy was "egghead.
EggHead was a villain on the old BatMan series with Adam West. He didn't seem clumsy to me.

He was Olgas b*tch in season 3 though....sadly

("Let gayfellow take you to the cleaners" , slogan painted on a blue van on Batman...hilarious when you consider Cesar was gay :lol:

Uh, Vincent Price was Egghead in the old Batman Series. Cesar Romero was the Joker. Besides, the Dynamic Duo of that era has some hints of homoerotic activity. How that got past Standards and Practices at ABC in the 1960’s is beyond me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Sep 2018, 1:32 am

Space50 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

A tardy boy is a boy who has showed up to class late.
I was very seldom late for class so that's not it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

PurplePlumz
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2018, 6:11 pm

About the subject of how often other terms were used in older years, my parents and other older relatives of mine would used to say "colored" (or at least words similar to that) when referring to minorities. I don't think it was seen as offensive back then as it is today.

Also, being a German of German and Russian descent, the usage of words with racist and anti-Semitic connotations associated with it were common during WW1 and WW2 and even encouraged.