Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BookwormSophie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Sep 2018, 3:42 pm

For as long as I can remember, I have rejected monotony. Even as a young child I didn’t like going to the same restaurant more than twice a week, or eating the same meal more than two days in a row, or doing the same things day in and day out. I hated constant routines. I found them to be unbearably dull. Maybe that’s my ADD. Even now as an adult, an overload of routines will zap me of my energy. I can appreciate the comfort of small routines like tea before bed, but then it has to be different teas. I’ve always craved new experiences. I know that autism in the media can never represent everyone, but I just feel like every single representation I have ever seen or read involves the fear of change, the utter rejection of change, or an abnormal discomfort of change. It seems to be one of those symptoms that’s a constant in everyone with autism. Or maybe that’s just the impression that the media has given me. Is there anyone else who seeks out change and new experiences?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 3:59 pm

I’m not all that much into change.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 4:58 pm

I like change: quarters, nickels, dimes......

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 5:00 pm

Count me out.

I do like to try new restaurants and new dishes if I've researched the restaurant beforehand.

Otherwise....nope.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 5:47 pm

I would get tired of the same routes sometimes and I loved surprises like going to the playground or going on field trips because all that was fun and I always needed stimulation. I can't sit for hour and listen to the teacher talk or doing school work for long hours. I also was diagnosed with ADD. I also loved it if we had classroom parties because we would just play and watch movies and we would get gifts. I also like to explore new things and discover things even as an adult and try new foods and ice cream flavors. I will also seek out videos to watch and movies I have never seen. When I was a kid, I was more into sameness like with foods and movies I watched and TV shows. I didn't try to seek out new things unless I saw ads for it and they looked interesting and I wanted to see it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 5:49 pm

Also i think you might be getting confused here, autistic people only like change if they impose that change on themselves and planned it. It's just that people with autism don't normally like change they were not planning and it gets imposed on them without their consent. After all you don't need to have all the symptoms to have autism and you could lack this symptom unless you mean you like change because you plan it and impose it on yourself.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 5:50 pm

BookwormSophie wrote:
Is there anyone else who seeks out change and new experiences?

Me. I like to get around. And I like to improve things - and even me. :mrgreen:

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 5:52 pm

Exactly. I like change as long as it's pre-planned and I'm in control of it.
For instance, I enjoy travelling to different places for my work, seeing new things and trying new food.
But I get freaked out by sudden changes in plan, especially if it's out of my control.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 7:51 pm

Depends on my mood. Mostly, I don't like monotony. I don't even like routines!.
Routines and sameness to me is falls with 'needs' than 'wants'. And I don't like needs.

When it comes to changes, if I'm only involved I'd get one myself.
If it involves someone else, I'd likely wait for one.
If I'm my shameless self, I'd put it in a suggestion. The more shameless and bored I'm, the more likely I'd cause them. The most shameless self would do so spontaneously. :lol:

If I plan any change, I want as little preparation and less effort needed as possible.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 8:34 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Also i think you might be getting confused here, autistic people only like change if they impose that change on themselves and planned it. It's just that people with autism don't normally like change they were not planning and it gets imposed on them without their consent. After all you don't need to have all the symptoms to have autism and you could lack this symptom unless you mean you like change because you plan it and impose it on yourself.

Excellent point!

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 3:53 am

League_Girl wrote:

That's really the thing. And I'm not sure it's truly hating change. For me, when there's a change I don't impose or expect, what I hate is the feeling that I don't understand what's going on. I don't think, "I hate change." That's just how it would look to someone observing me.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 6:52 am

Change terrifies the heck out of me, especially if it's not my doing. If I do decide to change my routine in any way it is thoroughly researched and I have to mentally prepare for it in advance.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 6:53 am

I like new experiences. I was sick of being indoors all the time, doing nothing.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 2:54 pm

monotony and lack of change are not necessarily exclusive. I totally enjoy listening to the same songs and doing my routines - exercises, eating etc etc - ( right now, my routines are all over the place because I moved house and am no longer a student :|)

Too much changes destabilises your mind and body. I don't like it at all. That being said, I have been through a lot of changes in my life (often had to adapt) and some (some!) of them have turned out pretty good.

The concept/ phenomenon of change still terrifies me. I can't get my head around it.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 3:13 pm

When I travel on vacation I'll eat out at new restaurants, but I'll also go back to the old ones that I remember as being great places to eat.

CannibalCorpse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2018, 3:08 pm

I constantly seek new experiences, try new things, travel a lot, I keep changing jobs as I get bored easily.
For me I think it's more like sensory underload. I can't eat the same thing every day, I can't do the same thing every day.
But as others pointed out it's okay when I change things. When somebody else forces me, I get upset, anxious, frustrated, I think that's the end of the world and I hate the person making me feel that way.