What is the highest level of education you have achieved?

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What is the highest level of education you have achieved?
Didn't graduate high school 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
GED 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
High school graduate 21%  21%  [ 15 ]
Trade school 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Associate 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Bachelor's 27%  27%  [ 19 ]
Master's 27%  27%  [ 19 ]
Doctoral 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 71

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 12:06 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I am also a high school dropout, but went on (and on) and ended up with doctorate in microbiology.

Awesome!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 3:51 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
I am also a high school dropout, but went on (and on) and ended up with doctorate in microbiology.

Awesome!

Thanks. :oops:

It really doesn't feel like that big a deal to me, but I always appreciate a positive response.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 2:43 am

When I was 20, student loans were all co-signed by the government, but you could work part time and not use one. I had started gr. 9 at age 12, but lost interest when I got no points for having the only correct answer on the Christmas science test where I spotted a typo. I repeated gr. 11 to get back with my age group, but didn't return after failing gr. 12 the 1st time. Dad wanted me out, and my general knowledge level was over US College grad scores.
I taught myself art metalwork and earned a very thin living for a few years. I got further educated by working in house renovations, TV special effects, and factory set-up, etc. Then I went to the library for some specific engineering, instead of paying for courses that were half obsolete and mostly irrelevant. I took my notes in BASIC, and built a prize-winning velomobile. I was invited to lecture to graduating engineers, and got applause. A bit later, an employer was worried about my lack of papers, and sent me for a week-long course in aerospace composites. I had to pay attention for one afternoon, about paperwork. Now, I'm pretty sure I have some extremely rare wisdom, but don't know how to share it.
So, I don't know how to answer your question.

I had a friend who had a job as a psychologist in a very good hospital. He had interviewed well, having read plenty and pronouncing the buzzwords right. When he was leaving, with the understanding that he was the top candidate, he advised the recruiter to not check his credentials. It worked out fine, until he moved on for other reasons in six months. I also know a guy who spent his whole career as a civil engineer on a fake diploma. The county needed a certified engineer just to approve road cuts, and all the real ones were doing WW II, so he applied, and read what he needed.

The only counsellor who has really helped me is barely qualified. Because she is still allowed to say "I don't know" we are able to work together.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 9:06 am

Dear_one wrote:

The only counsellor who has really helped me is barely qualified. Because she is still allowed to say "I don't know" we are able to work together.

My own counselor is a social worker, though very experienced. She is also very good.

I need the doctorate because I have a specific goal in mind, and to be most effective for it, I want to be able to both work with clients and diagnose people.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Sep 2018, 9:32 am

I have a high-skewl diploma. I struggled in skewl majorly due to dyslexia & other related learning disabilities so i had NO desire at all to go to college & I never regretted it. I only graduated high-skewl cuz some of my teachers curved my grades. I would of dropped out but my parents refused to let me. They insisted I needed a high-skewl diploma to have a better shot in the job market. I never been asked about high-skewl or seen it listed as a requirement for a job. I've seen spots for college thou. I'm in the same position for employment as something who doesn't even have a GED who is in similar life circumstances, issues, disabilities, & job experience.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2018, 9:42 am

blazingstar wrote:

I flunked out of my first masters. I then applied to another uni and got accepted there. I completed my masters there. And then got into another masters right after that and applied to be accepted to the doctoral program instead. I started the program and 3 years later dropped out with a masters.

Since then I have been working but also pursuing some courses at school to complete a MPH degree. I also am doing a diploma in something that’s a spl interest on the side.

I keep enrolling in course work not to get a degree but just because I like learning.

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 10:59 am

Arganger wrote:
What is the furthest level of education you have gotten to, and how did you get to that point?

I completed high school & 1 year of college. I got to that point like I got everywhere: white-knuckling.

In the past several years I used online tools to brush up on my math to get a job. Math is fun. I like numbers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 1:34 pm

Associates.

Because my household can't afford 2 college students at the same time, and there's no such thing as 'students loan'.
And I wouldn't want scholarships -- I'd grew up hating school subjects and learning if it's just all about maintaining grades and scores. :x I'd rather study for learning's sake than study for grades, even if it meant grades means free schooling.

Though I did also finished a vocational course, with scholarship. Otherwise my household couldn't afford it, and this one doesn't have any conditions regarding to my performance.

If I ever had the choice and means, I'd either take a masters for a career to entirely focus with, or several vocational courses of my choice for a hobby and become a freelancer. Or maybe both, spend most times at the former and the latter to fall back to.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 11:04 pm

LookWhoItIs wrote:
I have a master's, but the job market treats me like a high school dropout.
I'm finding out the same thing.

I have a Bachelor's in Psychology but it's one of those degrees where you have to work under supervision while you do your Master's. I don't think I could handle all the people and social interaction so I'm kind of like a drop-out.

I've also done some TAFE (Technical And Further Education) courses, which is like college to you Americans. I managed Certificate III in IT but bombed out doing Certificate IV in Programming as it was just too hard for me.

I also have a Foundation Level in Software Testing done through ISTQB, which is an international qualification.

Now I'm looking for a job. I may end up working at McDonald's!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 3:24 am

Bachelors.

Looking back I am very proud I was able to accomplish this with without knowing and thus with no accomadations or supports.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BookwormSophie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2018, 5:30 am

I have a Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics with a Minor in German. I’ll eventually get my BEd (Bachelor of Education) which will be a 1-2 year program depending on where in Canada I choose to start my career as a teacher (probably Alberta, 2 years.) I don’t see myself getting a Master’s. Maybe an online one.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 6:30 am

blazingstar wrote:

Well, it goes to prove that often taking an unorthodox approach can get you where your going?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 6:30 am

BA—Music
MS—Library Science

I’ve never been able to get an adequate ROI on this education, other than to be told I was a jackass for even making the attempt to better myself.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2018, 3:35 pm

I recently gained a Masters in Archives which I've been doing part-time for the past four years. My Bachelors degree is in History.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 7:19 pm

Ph.D., 35 years ago. Took me 6 years. Much of what I worked with had to be kept under nitrogen or argon and COLD, and it was slow going.

Which reminds me: how many anthropology grad students does it take to change a lightbulb? Only one, but it takes the poor b@$+@rd ten years.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 7:28 pm

I should have took anthropology.....and double-majored with meteorology.