Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 12:22 am

no signs that this will do anything but gradually get even worse. unless we radically change as a culture, it will not get better.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 12:54 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
i really hope none of them have autism.
I hope that all of the victims survive and recover.

that too, certainly. i was referring to the perpetrators.

I also hope that none of the perpetrators are autistic.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 1:53 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Actually, the first two, were yesterday. The third one was today.

In the third one, it was unusual in that it was a woman----and, going-by her name, SNOW-shuh (spelled phonetically), was black (though, no picture has been shown on our local news, as-of-yet).

From our local news: She shot 13 times, shot 7 people (each once, somewhere from the chest, up), 2 dead at the scene, 4 taken to one hospital (Johns Hopkins Trauma), 1 taken to another one (since Harford Co. is so far north, the person was taken to a Delaware hospital), handgun (9mil glock / 3 magazines), no shots were fired by police; shooting started outside, then continued inside the building; when police entered the building, she shot herself in the head, was taken to the hospital, and then died; 4 dead (including the shooter; another one died at the hospital, a couple of hours ago).

No one knows why she did this----she did, however, write on Social Media "An eye for an eye...". People said what a nice person she was----"so sweet". She was a temp at the place of business she shot-up; lived in Baltimore.

FBI says she was not on their Watch List; not a suspected terrorist; didn't have any record other than a traffic ticket; gun was bought by and registered to her.

The three shootings happened roughly within a 24 hour period. Thanks for the further details.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 3:47 am

Syracuse Police say girl, 8, among 5 shot during memorial

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2018, 3:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
Number of deaths for leading causes of death in 2016
(Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

• Heart disease: 635,260
• Cancer: 598,038
• Accidents (unintentional injuries): 161,374
• Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 154,596
• Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 142,142
• Alzheimer’s disease: 116,103
• Diabetes: 80,058
• Influenza and pneumonia: 51,537
• Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,046
• Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,965
We need more money in medicine. Probably substantially more, actually. I'd like to see a cure for cancer but it seems unlikely, at least for the near future. I don't actually know if more money poured into research would change that.

Out of curiousity, do accidents in these statistics also count manslaughter / unintentional homocide?

RESleight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2018, 5:31 pm

Mythos wrote:
Fnord wrote:

We need more money in medicine. Probably substantially more, actually. I'd like to see a cure for cancer but it seems unlikely, at least for the near future. I don't actually know if more money poured into research would change that.

Out of curiousity, do accidents in these statistics also count manslaughter / unintentional homocide?

I agree with those statistics. Firearm related deaths just can't compare.

I would also like to see more medical breakthroughs that would alleviate suffering and allow for extended life. Wouldn't be surprising in the least if these companies have the cures already and have locked them away. To turn greater profit while more people suffer and die. How long have people been donating to the cause anyway? Research would seem to be a black hole, as far as financing is concerned. It's a constant stream of money as long as cancer is around.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2018, 12:22 am

RESleight wrote:
Mythos wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I would also like to see more medical breakthroughs that would alleviate suffering and allow for extended life. Wouldn't be surprising in the least if these companies have the cures already and have locked them away. To turn greater profit while more people suffer and die. How long have people been donating to the cause anyway? Research would seem to be a black hole, as far as financing is concerned. It's a constant stream of money as long as cancer is around.
It's strange that "big pharma", something I originally thought was just a baseless conspiracy theory, is at least partially true with the US having such a large private medical sector. It's disturbing to say the least.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 8:29 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
So it's a normal day in America

Same pretty much, what else is new??? <,< >,>

RESleight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2018, 9:22 am

Mythos wrote:
RESleight wrote:
Mythos wrote:
Fnord wrote:

It's strange that "big pharma", something I originally thought was just a baseless conspiracy theory, is at least partially true with the US having such a large private medical sector. It's disturbing to say the least.

Exactly. What adds to the overall complexity is that pharmaceuticals have their place in medicine, they do still manage to alleviate symptoms, and even save lives. The question that will remain in the background is just how far has medicine actually progressed? Who knows? It's definitely disturbing.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 9:25 am

green0star wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
So it's a normal day in America

Same pretty much, what else is new??? <,< >,>

This is.

Multiple shootings: not just for Americans anymore:

SIU investigating Burlington shooting that leaves 2 cops injured

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 1:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
no signs that this will do anything but gradually get even worse. unless we radically change as a culture, it will not get better.

But no one wants to change the culture. The left would rather ignore the problem and attack guns. But as other states shown gun control doesn’t do anything as it doesn’t address the culture problem, so what do they do, pass more gun control, it’s all about getting votes and nit doing anything to solve the issue. Mean when they say their laws won’t stop a single mass shooting, then you should ask why pass them.

We live in a world where some people think so little of life they rape their friend and dump her body in their trash can and go to work like Normal. That’s the problem here.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 1:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Actually, the first two, were yesterday. The third one was today.

In the third one, it was unusual in that it was a woman----and, going-by her name, SNOW-shuh (spelled phonetically), was black (though, no picture has been shown on our local news, as-of-yet).

From our local news: She shot 13 times, shot 7 people (each once, somewhere from the chest, up), 2 dead at the scene, 4 taken to one hospital (Johns Hopkins Trauma), 1 taken to another one (since Harford Co. is so far north, the person was taken to a Delaware hospital), handgun (9mil glock / 3 magazines), no shots were fired by police; shooting started outside, then continued inside the building; when police entered the building, she shot herself in the head, was taken to the hospital, and then died; 4 dead (including the shooter; another one died at the hospital, a couple of hours ago).

No one knows why she did this----she did, however, write on Social Media "An eye for an eye...". People said what a nice person she was----"so sweet". She was a temp at the place of business she shot-up; lived in Baltimore.

FBI says she was not on their Watch List; not a suspected terrorist; didn't have any record other than a traffic ticket; gun was bought by and registered to her.

The three shootings happened roughly within a 24 hour period. Thanks for the further details.

How many were shot in Chicago during that same time period?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 2:03 pm

Mythos wrote:
Fnord wrote:

There’s no profit in curing cancer unless they charge millions for each cure, which will make it inaccessible to most people. They make millions if not billions from cancer treatments. Unfortunately for a lot of people money is more important then lives.
Hence why hospitals treat to stabilize and throw people out to die.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 5:15 pm

I guess Americans will just have to wear bullet-proof vests whenever they go out in public.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 9:03 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I guess Americans will just have to wear bullet-proof vests whenever they go out in public.

There’s less shootings now then in the 90s so no most of us will never see a gun pointed at us non less shot

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 9:17 pm

Magna wrote:
Just a few quick Google searches:

In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States. Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.

and

On average, roughly 40 percent of inmates who are incarcerated for violent offenses were under the influence of alcohol during the time of their crime.Feb 7, 2018

and

Alcohol and drugs are implicated in an estimated 80% of offenses leading to incarceration in the United States such as domestic violence, driving while intoxicated, property offenses, drug offenses, and public-order offenses.

and

Alcohol is a factor in 40% of all violent crimes today, and according to the Department of Justice, 37% of almost 2 million convicted offenders currently in jail, report that they were drinking at the time of their arrest. Alcohol, more than any illegal drug, was found to be closely associated with violent crimes, including murder, rape, assault, child and spousal abuse. "

Violent crime and murder with the use of firearms, no question is a terrible thing. I can't comprehend ANY person saying otherwise.

Look at the statistics I quoted above. Tens if not hundreds of thousands of violent acts/killings happen because of alcohol each year. There is no question the numbers in that regard are staggering in relation to shootings.

From a purely logical and sheer numbers perspective I think it's very wrong for us as a society to focus on trying to eliminate gun crime when first, victims of alcohol related violence and death is larger by magnitudes. That's sad to me. Sometimes being a black and white thinker is NOT a bad thing. I'm a black and white thinker on this issue in that someone can't give me a convincing, logical or reasonable argument why gun crime should be the focus over alcohol induced crime.

I wasn't being facetious with my post above. Funny how I hear crickets. I get it though, banning alcohol before banning guns even though alcohol kills a staggering number each year compared to guns doesn't fit anyone's "narrative" (I can't stand that word BTW). Plus then we'd all have to give something up rather than just "those people"....