Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 9:17 pm

Magna wrote:
Just a few quick Google searches:

In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States. Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.

and

On average, roughly 40 percent of inmates who are incarcerated for violent offenses were under the influence of alcohol during the time of their crime.Feb 7, 2018

and

Alcohol and drugs are implicated in an estimated 80% of offenses leading to incarceration in the United States such as domestic violence, driving while intoxicated, property offenses, drug offenses, and public-order offenses.

and

Alcohol is a factor in 40% of all violent crimes today, and according to the Department of Justice, 37% of almost 2 million convicted offenders currently in jail, report that they were drinking at the time of their arrest. Alcohol, more than any illegal drug, was found to be closely associated with violent crimes, including murder, rape, assault, child and spousal abuse. "

Violent crime and murder with the use of firearms, no question is a terrible thing. I can't comprehend ANY person saying otherwise.

Look at the statistics I quoted above. Tens if not hundreds of thousands of violent acts/killings happen because of alcohol each year. There is no question the numbers in that regard are staggering in relation to shootings.

From a purely logical and sheer numbers perspective I think it's very wrong for us as a society to focus on trying to eliminate gun crime when first, victims of alcohol related violence and death is larger by magnitudes. That's sad to me. Sometimes being a black and white thinker is NOT a bad thing. I'm a black and white thinker on this issue in that someone can't give me a convincing, logical or reasonable argument why gun crime should be the focus over alcohol induced crime.

I wasn't being facetious with my post above. Funny how I hear crickets. I get it though, banning alcohol before banning guns even though alcohol kills a staggering number each year compared to guns doesn't fit anyone's "narrative" (I can't stand that word BTW). Plus then we'd all have to give something up rather than just "those people"....

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 10:15 pm

It’s easier for people to demand banning something or making something illegal when it doesn’t effect them.

Like limiting car speeds to 40mph which would effect most people but save thousands a year and everyone’s against it except maybe those who use public transportation.

Anti gun people don’t own guns or care about that right so they like sure take our rights away I don’t care.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 10:23 pm

sly279 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
no signs that this will do anything but gradually get even worse. unless we radically change as a culture, it will not get better.

But no one wants to change the culture. The left would rather ignore the problem and attack guns. But as other states shown gun control doesn’t do anything as it doesn’t address the culture problem, so what do they do, pass more gun control, it’s all about getting votes and nit doing anything to solve the issue. Mean when they say their laws won’t stop a single mass shooting, then you should ask why pass them. We live in a world where some people think so little of life they rape their friend and dump her body in their trash can and go to work like Normal. That’s the problem here.

as I was saying, if you don't wanna change the culture, you're gonna get more of the same. a working definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly yet expecting a different result.