Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 10:58 am

Four injured in shooting at Middleton, Wisconsin, business; gunman dead Police said that the gunman at WTS Paradigm, a software company, was heavily armed and that officers prevented significant further bloodshed.

Man Shoots 4 People Near Pennsylvania Court, Then Is Killed by Police

Three killed in shooting at Rite Aid distribution center in Harford County, AP says

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 11:26 am

i really hope none of them have autism.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 12:18 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
I hope that all of the victims survive and recover.

Meanwhile, there have been over 2700 freeway deaths so far this year...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 12:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

Meanwhile, there have been over 2700 freeway deaths so far this year...

It's all sad and all unfortunate including the freeway deaths. A big issue to me are the 30,000-70,000+ deaths each year that are alcohol related. I had a coworker/friend that was nearly killed by a drunk driver. It's hard to believe she wasn't based on the fact her vehicle was nearly obliterated.

I'm very much for preserving as many innocent lives in our world as possible. I believe the solutions need to be logical rather than driven by charged emotions. I mean let's first start with the things that cause the most deaths per year and work our way down the list. The reverse is not right. The reverse is knee jerk emotional reaction.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 12:31 pm

As horrible as these mass shootings are, it's worth mentioning that we live in the safest time in history.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 12:39 pm

Number of deaths for leading causes of death in 2016
(Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

• Heart disease: 635,260
• Cancer: 598,038
• Accidents (unintentional injuries): 161,374
• Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 154,596
• Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 142,142
• Alzheimer’s disease: 116,103
• Diabetes: 80,058
• Influenza and pneumonia: 51,537
• Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,046
• Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,965

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 1:21 pm

Just a few quick Google searches:

In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States. Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.

and

On average, roughly 40 percent of inmates who are incarcerated for violent offenses were under the influence of alcohol during the time of their crime.Feb 7, 2018

and

Alcohol and drugs are implicated in an estimated 80% of offenses leading to incarceration in the United States such as domestic violence, driving while intoxicated, property offenses, drug offenses, and public-order offenses.

and

Alcohol is a factor in 40% of all violent crimes today, and according to the Department of Justice, 37% of almost 2 million convicted offenders currently in jail, report that they were drinking at the time of their arrest. Alcohol, more than any illegal drug, was found to be closely associated with violent crimes, including murder, rape, assault, child and spousal abuse. "

Violent crime and murder with the use of firearms, no question is a terrible thing. I can't comprehend ANY person saying otherwise.

Look at the statistics I quoted above. Tens if not hundreds of thousands of violent acts/killings happen because of alcohol each year. There is no question the numbers in that regard are staggering in relation to shootings.

From a purely logical and sheer numbers perspective I think it's very wrong for us as a society to focus on trying to eliminate gun crime when first, victims of alcohol related violence and death is larger by magnitudes. That's sad to me. Sometimes being a black and white thinker is NOT a bad thing. I'm a black and white thinker on this issue in that someone can't give me a convincing, logical or reasonable argument why gun crime should be the focus over alcohol induced crime.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 1:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

that too, certainly. i was referring to the perpetrators.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 2:10 pm

Aberdeen, Maryland, shooting: Three dead after woman opens fire at Rite Aid facility

Quote:
The unidentified suspect was detained and is in critical condition at a local hospital, Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey R. Gahler said at a news conference.

No shots were fired by officers at the scene, Gahler said, suggesting that the suspect might have shot herself. The suspect used a handgun in the incident, he said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 6:31 pm

Actually, the first two, were yesterday. The third one was today.

In the third one, it was unusual in that it was a woman----and, going-by her name, SNOW-shuh (spelled phonetically), was black (though, no picture has been shown on our local news, as-of-yet).

From our local news: She shot 13 times, shot 7 people (each once, somewhere from the chest, up), 2 dead at the scene, 4 taken to one hospital (Johns Hopkins Trauma), 1 taken to another one (since Harford Co. is so far north, the person was taken to a Delaware hospital), handgun (9mil glock / 3 magazines), no shots were fired by police; shooting started outside, then continued inside the building; when police entered the building, she shot herself in the head, was taken to the hospital, and then died; 4 dead (including the shooter; another one died at the hospital, a couple of hours ago).

No one knows why she did this----she did, however, write on Social Media "An eye for an eye...". People said what a nice person she was----"so sweet". She was a temp at the place of business she shot-up; lived in Baltimore.

FBI says she was not on their Watch List; not a suspected terrorist; didn't have any record other than a traffic ticket; gun was bought by and registered to her.

Last edited by Campin_Cat on 20 Sep 2018, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 6:42 pm

If only the system would remember the victims by their names and not their numbers. If only the shooters' identity wouldn't be acknowledged, we could deny them the fame they wanted.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 6:56 pm

"People said what a nice person she was----so sweet"

They say that about a lot of people who do bad things : "I never would've guessed he she could do it , bla bla" , humans will always be violent

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 8:19 pm

I am grateful that I don't live in the USA, and worry about my grandson who does, where he is so much more likely to be shot than his home country that isn't so imperilled by a reckless gun culture that racks up the deaths of innocent victims in such measure.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 9:00 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Actually, the first two, were yesterday. The third one was today.

In the third one, it was unusual in that it was a woman----and, going-by her name, SNOW-shuh (spelled phonetically), was black (though, no picture has been shown on our local news, as-of-yet).

From our local news: She shot 13 times, shot 7 people (each once, somewhere from the chest, up), 2 dead at the scene, 4 taken to one hospital (Johns Hopkins Trauma), 1 taken to another one (since Harford Co. is so far north, the person was taken to a Delaware hospital), handgun (9mil glock / 3 magazines), no shots were fired by police; shooting started outside, then continued inside the building; when police entered the building, she shot herself in the head, was taken to the hospital, and then died; 4 dead (including the shooter; another one died at the hospital, a couple of hours ago).

No one knows why she did this----she did, however, write on Social Media "An eye for an eye...". People said what a nice person she was----"so sweet". She was a temp at the place of business she shot-up; lived in Baltimore.

FBI says she was not on their Watch List; not a suspected terrorist; didn't have any record other than a traffic ticket; gun was bought by and registered to her.

Quote:
and, going-by her name, SNOW-shuh (spelled phonetically), was black (though, no picture has been shown on our local news, as-of-yet).

Not sure how Snochia being black is relevant to anything. Also why there is a need to spell Snochia phonetically.

Nor is this relevant, from a related news article:

Quote:
Authorities and court records identified Moseley as female, as did a Facebook profile in her name. But in Facebook messages Coley shared with The Baltimore Sun, Moseley described herself as transgender, although it was not clear whether Moseley preferred to be addressed using masculine or feminine pronouns.

In messages that the friend said were sent in December 2016, Moseley discussed beginning hormone treatment soon.

“I just started talking about [being transgender],” Moseley wrote in another message. “My sister is totally supportive, my brothers already had an idea, my mom I haven’t gotten around to admitting it to yet. but she’s heard about it somehow.”

source: What we know about Snochia Moseley, alleged shooter at Rite Aid warehouse
I wish people would stop introducing irrelevancies into violent fatalities unless there is clearly some relevant connection (e.g., perp was using a prescription drug that has been associated with violent episodes).

The acceptance of such irrelevancies is conducive to the inclusion of other irrelevancies, such as a perp being connected to the spectrum.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 12:14 am

So it's a normal day in America

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 12:22 am

no signs that this will do anything but gradually get even worse. unless we radically change as a culture, it will not get better.