Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 2:05 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:
It has no friends at all.

Not even you? I really hope your Teddy Bear at least has you for a friend.

I can't really be its "friend". (I am myself not a teddy bear and we are not the same generation)
I wish it was hanging out with other teddy bears of its age.

Perhaps, in a strange way, your teddy bear somehow makes you more neurotypical. This sounds like something an NT might say.

:)
Something like that indeed, maybe I diagnose my teddy bear as autistic, so that I can play NT with it, what I am doing (half unconsciously) in my sentence you highlight above.

The thing is, I don't "want" to be autistic, maybe this is an attempt to transfer the autism to … my teddy bear.

thanks for highlighting this

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 2:15 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:
well, AspieUtah,
...you say Autists would typically have no imagination
… and you say they would typically ascribe personalities to inanimate objects

both do not go together, it doesn't make sense. There must be something wrong in the researches you read (that happens)
(also lots of NT children give a name to their teddy bear... "typically autistic"? not sure.)

You have to be careful with the definition of "imagination." If we're talking fantasy world and play time, I think many Aspies bury themselves in imagination, especially as children.

But I believe AspieUtah is talking about social imagination, i.e. theorizing and predicting how other people will presumably most likely behave with a high degree of accuracy. NTs naturally have this form of (social) imagination. Aspies, by definition, do not.

Yes, but there is I think another dimension than the "theory of mind" in this social imagination which autists do not have:

e.g. like most (if not all) autistic girls I could not really play dolls, cause you need some kind of imagination I do not have which precisely consist in ascribing personalities to "inanimate objects"...

This is what I was trying to develop when personalizing my teddy bear and trying to diagnose it.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 5:23 pm

My puppy and snake and lizards and red panda and lemur and ewok and dragonfly all seem extremely autistic if not catatonic.
But I suspect it's all an act and one night I might catch them having a secret party and eating all my biscuits.
Just see the false innocence in their eyes: 8O

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 5:35 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
Does your teddy bear also have autism?

He’s undiagnosed. Just like me. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 6:01 pm

We get to see examples of the very old and the very modern in the same thread. I think this is groovy.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 9:40 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
collectoritis wrote:
There's a funny commercial on norwegian TV about a teddy bear and a boy , the bear comes alive and they go to a fair.....the bear loses his temper when the boy wins another teddy bear though , thinking he's gonna be replaced and he throws it over the counter in anger :lol:

Hehe! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2qRWPOaGWM

Found it :wink:

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 6:58 am

My teddy bear's name is Bruno O'Bear and he also has High Functioning Autism -Asperger's Syndrome, just like me. He's a ferocious grizzly bear from the Canadian Rockies and I can't even sleep without him, he's just that important to me!

:D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 8:42 am

xatrix26 wrote:
My teddy bear's name is Bruno O'Bear and he also has High Functioning Autism -Asperger's Syndrome, just like me. He's a ferocious grizzly bear from the Canadian Rockies and I can't even sleep without him, he's just that important to me!

I imagine he wears a Mountie hat, outdoors of course.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 10:14 am

xatrix26 wrote:

omg, are you Charlie Vandergaw?

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 4:16 am

AspieUtah wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:

Nope, he sleeps too much to wear a hat!

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 4:19 am

LaetiBlabla wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:

omg, are you Charlie Vandergaw?

LOL. Rather, I've always fancied myself to be Grizzly Adams instead. I used to watch that show growing up in the 70s and 80s!

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 8:02 am

LaetiBlabla wrote:
I suspect my teddy bear may have autism.

It has few facial expressions.
It is often staring at people.
It has no friends at all.
It has a lot of difficulties in mimicking other's emotions (still smiling when told a sad event).
It has a restrained interest in the moon (looking at it for hours).

Does your teddy bear also have autism?
Do you know any efficient psychotherapy designed to help teddy bears with autism?

Wrong question.

First you should ask: Do you HAVE a Teddy Bear (assuming most of us are above 14)

Then the followup should be: Whoever answered yes, did you have it diagnosed and got out without being hospitalized yourself

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 9:11 am

xatrix26 wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:

Nope, he sleeps too much to wear a hat!

Of course! Hibernation season would require any hats be left on the pegs near the cave entrance. :wink:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 8:36 am

SaveFerris wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
I don't think I ever had a teddy bear. I lived before they became very popular. This is what I had.

Is that photo close to 70 years old ?

I was about 1 year old at that time, so yes.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 8:05 am

AspieUtah wrote:
green0star wrote:
Umm ... an inanimate object having autism??? How does that happen???

Research shows that autists often ascribe personalities to their inanimate objects. If a simulacrum is seen to be autistic, the autists enjoy their company.

Improving autistic imagination is a good thing.

Well I haven't had a teddy bear in a really long time. I got one years ago when I was in the hospital for surgery but that was when I was 7 years old

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 10:43 am

I am still wrestling with the question someone on WP asked years ago:"is your car aloof?".

The OP of that thread was struck by how his boss projected the boss's own gregarious NT personality onto his car, and apparently that OP assumed that the OP's own car had the OP's own loner (even thought the car was not a loaner) aspie personality.

Someone on that thread replied that "I never anthropomorphize cars because they hate it!".

That answer works for me. And I would apply it to teddy bears as well as to cars. :lol: