Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 11:39 am

Kraftie described as "arrogant"... I nearly spat out my coffee. He is one of nature's gentlemen, albeit capable of telling it like it is.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

pete413
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2018, 12:02 pm

Trueno wrote:
Kraftie described as "arrogant"... I nearly spat out my coffee. He is one of nature's gentlemen, albeit capable of telling it like it is.

"get a life" is an arrogant, condescending statement. Typical of people who have things going well for them and are happy, they snobbishly look down their noses and dismiss those not up to their social standards.

"humanists" only care about humans, they de-humanize those they don't like, call us "trolls".

I never liked this site, autistics are lame. Yes, I have "no life", but I don't know how to "get one" either.
I'm so bored, I can't even stop posting here, you folks will have to ban me.

This place helps nobody, it's just a huge waste of time. I urinate on WP.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2018, 1:52 pm

pete413 wrote:
Do you warm fuzzy "humanists" only associate with other people capable of putting on a "happy happy" mask? While looking down your noses and out-casting and isolating the miserable trolls, assuming they will learn social skills spontaneously in a social vacuum? (those unhappy people don't count, huh?)

how do you convince yourselves people don't suck, when they really do. Just look at me, the "troll". I don't count, everyone HATES me.
No, I don't. I've posted before about how I will always have compassion for everyone even in spite of what they happen to do or how they behave. In the original context, it was criminal convicts. In general, it's everybody.

Note that a troll will often not reveal their identity. In a sense, distaste of trolls is of the anonymous profile and not of the person behind it, as though the account is its own life and autonomy. In reality, most trolls are probably normal enough. A troll isn't even technically real, as most of their beliefs are of the goal of provocation. So it's hard to dislike the actual person, more the rhetoric.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 1:55 pm

pete413 wrote:
... I never liked this site, autistics are lame. Yes, I have "no life", but I don't know how to "get one" either. I'm so bored, I can't even stop posting here, you folks will have to ban me. This place helps nobody, it's just a huge waste of time. I urinate on WP.
I have filed a report with the mods to the effect that you seem to be requesting banishment, and included a suggestion that they honor your apparent request. I also reported the PM you sent me earlier.

Have a nice day.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2018, 1:58 pm

pete413 wrote:
Trueno wrote:

"get a life" is an arrogant, condescending statement. Typical of people who have things going well for them and are happy, they snobbishly look down their noses and dismiss those not up to their social standards.

"humanists" only care about humans, they de-humanize those they don't like, call us "trolls".

I never liked this site, autistics are lame. Yes, I have "no life", but I don't know how to "get one" either.
I'm so bored, I can't even stop posting here, you folks will have to ban me.

This place helps nobody, it's just a huge waste of time. I urinate on WP.
This is what we call a plea for attention. I don't really care that you use blanket statements like, "autistics are lame". I'm not sure such language will get you banned (it's very mild in comparison to some of the things I've read). It doesn't hurt me. It might others, but not me.

I personally think you have the right to vent. Also note I'm not at all leading a rosy life, but it helps to help others, don't you think?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 6:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
pete413 wrote:
... I never liked this site, autistics are lame. Yes, I have "no life", but I don't know how to "get one" either. I'm so bored, I can't even stop posting here, you folks will have to ban me. This place helps nobody, it's just a huge waste of time. I urinate on WP.
I have filed a report with the mods to the effect that you seem to be requesting banishment, and included a suggestion that they honor your apparent request. I also reported the PM you sent me earlier.

Have a nice day.

Ditto.

I’d tell him to do a craino-rectal inversion, but I doubt he would be able to accomplish this task.

And yes, i’m In a foul mood. It wouldn’t take much for me to start singing the 4-letter word aria.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 9:07 pm

I think, much like liberal democracy and capitalism, secular human is the best temporary plug we can find until we find something a bit more deeply nested and less prone to the temporal whims of the public. That might possibly be one of the biggest problems of the 21st century that we're forced to solve - ie. the expiration of the conditions that made humanism, representative democracy, and capitalism feasible and not having our next step be into something worse.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 7:24 am

Pete's been banned.

Carry on.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 7:43 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think, much like liberal democracy and capitalism, secular human is the best temporary plug we can find until we find something a bit more deeply nested and less prone to the temporal whims of the public. That might possibly be one of the biggest problems of the 21st century that we're forced to solve - ie. the expiration of the conditions that made humanism, representative democracy, and capitalism feasible and not having our next step be into something worse.

^^^^ Good point.

I like Fnord's outline, but do have a deep spiritual underpinning to what I do. However, I am not suggesting that anyone else should have a spiritual underpinning. Just that I do.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 9:34 am

blazingstar wrote:
I like Fnord's outline, but do have a deep spiritual underpinning to what I do. However, I am not suggesting that anyone else should have a spiritual underpinning. Just that I do.

Your screen name does give that away, ie. in that as far as I understand it it's a name for that sort of central sun that Dion Fortune wrote about in Cosmic Doctrine and it's the really big star out of the 8 in the tarot key by that name. I spent about three years deep-diving through books and I'm just short of five years into BOTA and AMORC.

I had an extra paragraph in that last post you quoted that I deleted before posting. Below are a handful of approaches I see in progress and I'm sure this list is far from being all-inclusive, there are probably several dozen worth noting just that these are the ones I've been paying attention to:

1) Sam Harris trying to establish a moral philosophy in the objective by way of his Moral Landscape. I think Jordan Peterson is supportive of his endeavor and has been trying to help him comb through it for oversights to see where it can be strengthened.

2) Bret and Eric Weinstein have been pushing the idea of looking to game theory for understanding the situations we find ourselves in politically and economically (Bret has often suggested that most of the really big abstract problems we have break down into a handful of relatively canonical game-theoretical problems) and they'd both like to see our culture take a stab at retraining capitalism, retraining liberal democracy, etc. to have more thorough mechanisms for rewarding real work and progress while even better prosecuting and punishing fraudulent activity.

3) The University of Virginia doctors, in association with IANDS, Institute of Noetic Sciences, and all of the people in the particular network of medical researchers who are trying to establish the solidity of the NDE, past-life memories in children, and you also have Dean Radin writing somewhat prolifically about what he sees as the actual metaphysic behind a lot of things that have classically been in this domain of - what I could loosely call - conscious universe, panpsychism, and trying to see if useful teleology can be pulled in from that.

I think all three are necessary, just that I really have strong doubts that the third approach will give us society-wide solutions with respect to laws or ways to rebind culture. It will give us a green-light perhaps to get even more into meditation, probably more people will consider the value of magical practices (right now most people who enter that still come at it from the 'its all psychological' approach and only slowly realize there's something more), and I think what that will be good for is giving our culture at the individual human level higher resilience. Right now our culture looks like one big raw nerve, that's probably an artifact of social media but nonetheless it's propagating and empowering cultural neurosis in a massive scale - we need tools to inoculate ourselves against that and tools of private cultivation are every bit as good as any other. As for the first two approaches I think they could be incredibly useful just that they need to be put to use and to some extent, for as brilliant as I think Bret and Eric are, they do need to bring a lot of what seems like high philosophy down to concrete action and examples - the sorts of things that get people really thinking that what they're talking about is possible.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 11:36 am

^^^^oh, please! I am a Quaker. And blazing star is the name of the flower in my avatar! I find your ideas interesting, but they are beyond the level of knowledge to be able to discuss intelligently..

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 3:20 pm

blazingstar wrote:
^^^^oh, please! I am a Quaker. And blazing star is the name of the flower in my avatar! I find your ideas interesting, but they are beyond the level of knowledge to be able to discuss intelligently..

Lol, I suppose you now know more than you ever wanted to about the concept. :)

But yeah, it's another name for that vast light which is known to often love-tackle people when they die.

Grischa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2018, 3:52 pm

In a scientifical paper, Oesterdiekhoff “The arena games in the Roman Empire: a contribution to the explanation of the history of morals and humanity”

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/39bb/3 ... 74b8cc.pdf

they divided cultures in three groups, dependant to their level of cognitive/ethical thinking:

- the pre-conventional phase (stages 1, 2)
- the conventional phase (3, 4)
- the post-conventional phase (5, 6):

Stage 1, 2= naïve egoism which can only be limited by strong counter-actors.
Stage 3= moral behaviour stemming from the concern to please familiar persons (“house-wife morals”).
Stage 4= moral understanding that identifies moral behaviour with the obeying of laws and rules, norms and conventions.
Stage 5, 6= general and abstract moral principles that are more important and dominating than public conventions (phase 2) or egoistic interests (phase 1)

This article is really an eye opener, I think.
Islam (not all muslims, but only those extremists) is about stage 1 or 2. Killing people for your own good and not feeling a bit sorry is like naive egoism.
Christianity stage 3 or 4, no more. They are still sending people to hell, unthinkable for level 5 or 6 thinkers
Liberal humanism stage 5 or 6.

Christians: be warned, don't read the Oesterdiekhoff article, or you'll be no Christian any more

For further reference:

https://medium.com/@gerbentue/more-sad- ... 00b34de219

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 7:04 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Pete's been banned. Carry on.
Indeed. Thank you.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Myrtonos
Raven
Raven

22 Sep 2018, 10:02 pm

Would anyone here go back to the first post in this thread and read if carefully before responding?

Democracy with elections is the best system for ruling a jurisdiction, such as a nation, state or municipality. Strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree.

It is the duty of successful manufacturers to produce whatever goods enough people want to buy. Strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree.

Whether art or music is good or not, what makes it good, and even whether may be considered art, or what might be considered creative is subjective. Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree, Strongly Disagree.

There are outside reasons why one shouldn't do something that feels good. Agree, Strongly Agree, Disagree, Strongly Disagree.

The main thing education should do is teach students to think for themselves. Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree, Strongly Disagree.

A liberal humanist is someone who agrees with this package.