I like Playstation better 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't play video games 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Oh man, I thought this was about the other thing 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 13

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 3:36 pm

I like Breath of The Wild and Kirby and Donkey Kong Country Freeze and looking forward to the new Mario Party and Super Smash Bros.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 3:44 pm

i do not switch

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 3:55 pm

I don't have one yet. I will probably get one when they announce the next big Zelda game: that's the reason I bought a WiiU.

I saw a news article, though, that said the next Zelda "might" be on the Switch... :?

On a side note, there's rumors of another Zelda coming to the 3DS.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 9:15 pm

Thought of a different kind of switch.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 9:45 pm

[moved to games and video games from adult]

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 10:42 pm

I don't understand the appeal. It's apparently a portable system but it's huge. I'm annoyed that Nintendo's strategy seems to be to support it alone rather than continuing their several decades history of supporting a home console and a portable one. I have not got one and continue to use my Nintendo 3DS, which is far better designed as a portable system.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 2:18 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:

I guess this was a bad joke then. :?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 2:21 am

the joke

my head

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 4:49 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

Have to be a part of certain circles to get the joke.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 4:52 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I don't understand the appeal. It's apparently a portable system but it's huge. I'm annoyed that Nintendo's strategy seems to be to support it alone rather than continuing their several decades history of supporting a home console and a portable one. I have not got one and continue to use my Nintendo 3DS, which is far better designed as a portable system.

It's not surprising though.

The Wii U didnt sell very well at all. The various handhelds though... not just the DS/3DS... have always sold VERY well. The way Nintendo looks at it, why not just combine the two? When docked, the thing performs *exactly* like a normal console... there's no weirdness to it or anything. You can use a perfectly normal controller. When in handheld mode, it's, well... the usual sort of handheld. This double functionality gives them something that the competition utterly lacks. Of the three consoles, they are the only one that genuinely stands out. The other two are pretty much identical to each other. This absolutely has a major effect on sales. A major effect that Nintendo *needed*. The Wii U was doing THAT badly. Nintendo, even as traditional as they are, knew that couldnt continue... they had to make a change.

Not to mention that the device has WAY more power than the 3DS, AND a bigger screen. This means that anything that can be played in console mode can also be played in portable mode. The ability to take things like Zelda or Skyrim and get the EXACT same experience when in handheld mode is a HUGE advantage. With the 3DS, they'd have needed to make bizarre dumbed-down versions of games like those. Spin-offs instead of the "real thing" (and that is indeed what they usually do in cases like that). Now though? No need. Wanna play Skyrim on the go, you get the ENTIRE experience, even the full graphics. Even a laptop cant truly say that (even a small laptop is a huge bulky mass that requires space on a flat surface to even use, making it non-viable in many situations. Also laptops are screwy).

But then there's the third bit: Support for the 3DS is likely to end relatively soon. Series such as Pokemon, normally on the DS line, will end up being Switch exclusives probably sooner rather than later (in fact, looking it up just now, that is indeed happening. Pokemon: Let's Go was recently announced, but Nintendo has also said that the next "core" game will be in 2019, and will be on the Switch. That's yet another thing that'll pull players away from the 3DS). More power, more memory, more content, bigger screen.... better experience and quality. Not to mention that the console has been extremely popular, and is something recent/modern/new, which cant be said about the 3DS anymore.

Also to be honest the thing's overall design is MUCH better. It's way more comfortable to hold even despite it being larger (it's not like you're trying to grip the entire bloody thing). And the analog sticks... I'll just say this: The analog stick on the 3DS is the single worst controller part I've ever had the extreme displeasure of using. It is TERRIBLE. To the point where I quickly started refusing to play any game that required it. It's THAT bad. It's uncomfortable, flat and weird, in a bad position, and inaccurate when compared to a proper analog stick. The sticks on the Switch are fine, though I do prefer using an actual controller in docked mode.

Now that all being said, to answer the OP, I have a Switch, but it gets almost no use. Not for technical reasons: it's because there just isnt much on it that I actually care about. Particularly compared to my PC (same reason why I have a PS4 but almost never use that either). If it had Mario Maker on it, I'd use it frequently. But it doesnt. Doesnt help that I didnt like Zelda one bit (I call it Zelda: Ubisoft Edition, as that's basically what it is. It even has the freaking towers. I've never liked Ubisoft's crap, so I naturally dont like the new Zelda either).

I will however start using it a heck of alot once Smash comes out. That game is the true reason I bought one. I would also play Mario Party, but those usually arent very good at singleplayer.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 5:25 am

thewrll wrote:
Have to be a part of certain circles to get the joke.

I don't get it, either... :oops:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 12:00 pm

Switch is also what people use when they paddle your behind.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 4:44 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with a system that can be used as a console or handheld. That's pretty much what I've wanted for a long time. I just think the Switch is a pretty subpar version of what could be. I think things like the the ASUS ROG phone and the GPD Win/Pocket do what the Switch does but better, and the failed Ubuntu phone would've also been great had it come to fruition. But none have really perfected the implementation. A lot of this is because they all want to have their own little walled garden, and none moreso than Nintendo.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 6:44 am

I don't own a Switch yet, but I want one because I wanna play Dragon Quest XI, Pokemon Let's go and gen 8, Animal Crossing, and several other titles as well.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 7:46 am

I love my Switch. I got it at the end of June and I've been playing it as much as my PC that I bought in September last year. That's pretty good considering I have an Xbox One that I haven't used since I bought the PC.
Here are some things I like about the Switch.

1. The portability thing didn't impress me that much in the lead up to buying one. But that first night of playing Breath of the Wild and being torn between playing and going to bed. Then it hit me, I can do bed. That was amazing, playing such a great game comfy in bed :)

2. The library. I spend more time on /v/ on 4chan than I really should and one of the anti Nintendo memes spouted there constantly is that the Switch has no games. This is ridiculous. I actually counted every console exclusive on the Switch and the PS4 and the Switch has actually had more games per day since the console was released than the PS4. And while I don't like them all, some of them are amazing. Then there's all the ports from older consoles that I missed coz the last Nintendo console I owned was an N64.

3. Leading on from the last point, Nintendo IPs. Yes I wish the Switch and Nintendo in general had a lot more mature content and I'm not exactly psyched for the latest Kirby game but for the most part, Nintendo has the most comfy, cheerful, life affirming content.

4. Again, to be more specific about games, indies and multiplats. These aren't the biggest draw for me but if I'm going to enjoy them, especially retro looking indies, I'd rather play them on the less powerful Switch. It feels like overkill to use my powerful PC.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2018, 12:02 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

Just to point out that I liked it. The fact that it was moved innocently is quite amusing to me.