Page 5 of 8 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,499
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

23 Sep 2018, 9:38 pm

I'm fat and old and I have a very strange walk that's almost like a march. I couldn't keep up with the rest of the kids in my PE classes in high school. If that wasn't the case, I'd be fighting in the Middle East right now.


_________________
Schultz

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,499
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

23 Sep 2018, 9:49 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
I agree that humanity's chances are slim - and getting slimmer, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort.

I don't know if we're as bad off as we would be if massive social media censorship were enacted, ie. to ensure tripe and discourage/remove uncomfortable but necessary conversation.

Where I think we are is a place where we need to really get good at sorting out who uses information to get at and best approximate truth, who uses it only instrumentally to serve personal goals, and tell that last group from people who might be struggling to find truth but doing so poorly or while still holding onto one form of cherished dogma or another.


Yes, I think materially we're better off now than at any time in the past, but spiritually and morally the opposite is true.

Quote:


Your opinion is not my reality. I'd give my two eye teeth to serve on the front lines and I'm no weakling either.

I don't see the point you're trying to make here.


卐 That's because you don't know what I look like at 5-7 and 270 lbs with upper arms that would put a lot of men to shame. Add a German helmet to that and looking at me would be a real treat because I wear those. Mmmmm lovely. I'm also trans, not that it makes a difference to you. 卐


_________________
Schultz

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,429
Location: The Oort Cloud

24 Sep 2018, 7:53 am

NobodyKnows wrote:
Are you arguing that it's fair for people who hold half of the democratic votes and a significant number of the congressional votes to bear no direct liability for the consequences of those votes?

(Edit: I'm not entirely sure whether you're responding respectively or just numbering your points for convenience; in the latter case, see below.)

In any case, there isn't an equivalent seat. The presidency is more military-centric than the prime ministerial positions in the UK or India. Why should a women who never registered for the draft be allowed to control the fates of the people who did? That sounds more like retaliatory discrimination than equality.


Women shouldn't be allowed to be president because they're not subject to the draft? Last time I checked, male politicians aren't shy about wanted to pass laws concerning women's bodies, specifically pregnancy and childbirth.

And women being exempt from the draft wasn't a law passed by feminists, it was passed by men. Besides women, such as myself, can and have served in the military. During my time in the USAF I had the honor of serving with a former EOD technician who was a veteran of the Khobar tower incident. I'd say she would have more of a right to run for office than some guy who has never even set foot on a military base despite having to register for selective service.


_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (moderator)


XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,429
Location: The Oort Cloud

24 Sep 2018, 7:58 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
I agree that humanity's chances are slim - and getting slimmer, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort.

I don't know if we're as bad off as we would be if massive social media censorship were enacted, ie. to ensure tripe and discourage/remove uncomfortable but necessary conversation.

Where I think we are is a place where we need to really get good at sorting out who uses information to get at and best approximate truth, who uses it only instrumentally to serve personal goals, and tell that last group from people who might be struggling to find truth but doing so poorly or while still holding onto one form of cherished dogma or another.


Yes, I think materially we're better off now than at any time in the past, but spiritually and morally the opposite is true.

Quote:


Your opinion is not my reality. I'd give my two eye teeth to serve on the front lines and I'm no weakling either.

I don't see the point you're trying to make here.


卐 That's because you don't know what I look like at 5-7 and 270 lbs with upper arms that would put a lot of men to shame. Add a German helmet to that and looking at me would be a real treat because I wear those. Mmmmm lovely. I'm also trans, not that it makes a difference to you. 卐


Don't post Nazi symbols, please.

Thanks.


_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (moderator)


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,693
Location: Stendec

24 Sep 2018, 8:09 am

Why does every discussion of "Men's Issues" eventually lead to posts filled with lies, half-truths, distortions, and general misogyny?

And I'm calling "Godwin" on this thread.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,515

24 Sep 2018, 10:43 am

Per the Last Piece of Advice by Phillip Zimbardo, American Psychologist and Professor Emeritus from Stanford
University Provided on how to Solve the Growing Issue of Failing Men, in Overall Western Societies; long Before
American Psychologist And Idol Father Figure Jordan Peterson did the same for a Growing Demographic of 'Incel'
Oriented Young Males, putting his 'Top Hat' in the Ring and all over YouTube, Freely and Generously, without Regard
to Copyright; Yes, Phil Zombardo's Concluding Piece of Advice, well Before, to Males, was/is DO LEARN TO DANCE
AND DO
DANCE.

Oh Lord, The Scientific Literature on the Benefits of a Free Flowing (no; don't take my advice only for it as is
only anecdotal and case study alone this way in Close to 10K Miles in my Public Dance Journey with over 2K
Photo Selfies With Lovely Women I Bring the Joy of Free Dance to, in my Metro Area too); Yes, A Free Flowing
Meditative Dance that Regulates Emotions and Integrates Senses Freeing one in Bio-Feedback from the Physiological
Affects and Effects of Anxiety and General Fear Related Experiences of Life that yes, of course, are Physiologically Based
as Fear reduces the Potential For Success in most all Areas of Life; Particularly, in wooing the Opposite so-called Gender
if that is what may be one of your Major Interests of Life as by God of Nature if you are a Healthy Young Hetero-Male and this isn't one of your Major Interests of Life, chances are some NDD Nature Deficit Disorder may be at Hand and with some Technological Pursuits may be Restricted to just Hands; and not Hands on in mutual and consensual ways of
Reciprocal Social Communication if that makes the Courting Experience Sound Scientific Enough to Folks
who Love to Look at Life through Textbooks/Screen Experience more than Touch and Feel and Such as that
with actual other Living Flesh and Blood Human Beings in Flesh and Blood Life now.

Move Your Body Free in Dance and Stimulate Potential Epigenetic Effects and Affects from Head to Toe in
Re-wiring Your Humanity More to Touch and Feel the Real Flesh and Blood that Perhaps you didn't realize
was Possible Before. Yes, considering that Emotions are Bio-Feedback from the Sensory Connections of
our Body From Head to toe, Dance can and will be the Navigator in Bio-Feedback to Mind that stretches
out Human Potential in Flesh and Blood More than one has ever experienced before for those non-Dancing
Folks among us now. And on top of that for folks with a Diagnosis on the Autism Spectrum, Science assesses
Movement Therapy now as an effective Therapy to Regulate Emotions and Integrate Senses among Folks on the
Autism Spectrum. And it's Worth Noting that Autism Spectrum Researcher Super-Star Tony Atwood as that relates
Specific to Asperger's Syndrome, readily in the past, admits the only therapy he could offer that works on the Autism
Spectrum was Cognitive Behavioral therapy for Emotional Regulation. Sadly, Mr. Atwood did not approach it more then
Directly with a Therapy of Moving also known, sensed, and felt now in Terms of Moving Meditation as also a Free Dance
that Works. And once one gets Proficient at it; it's better than being 'Batman' at Age 58; and Yes, now I will offer Personal
Evidence to that Affect and Effect too, as a Participant Anthropologist Observer in action as such and yes of course too
a Triple Degree Holder to that effect of Anthropology and Social Sciences Interdisciplinary and Health Science too butt true one will Learn a Hell and Heaven lots more about Human Behavior in the Field than you will ever do in the Class
Room as that is the overall Beauty of Being a Participant Anthropologist Observer in Action with Evidence to
Bring Back to the Class; So what if I do it for a Hobby; there should be no doubt that it is overall worth it.

I was the last Person in School as the last Kid Picked in Sports and yes the Boy Confused as 'Miss' by the
Cashier at McDonald's in Middle School; yes, the Last Kid ever expected to Retire as an Athletic Director
at a Military Installation and the Last Kid expected to be identified by the General Audience in his Metro
Area about a year into Dance Legend Status by the Crowd at Hand. The Dance Legend thingy didn't
come until spending 66 Months as a shut-in in my Bedroom from ages 47 thru 53 with a Synergy
of 19 Life Threatening Illnesses that no Doctor could Cure but me through enough months of
Looking within all Naturally Instinctually and Intuitively Real; Meanwhile, Science continues
to Accumulate Empirical Assessments of Fact in the Amazing Fountain of Youth that Moving
Mediation of Dance Brings to the Human Species still. And Yes, Sadly, MeaNwhile, the View is the
Same from the Back Pews of Catholic Church every Sunday where Parents Slap Around Feet and Hands in ways of 'Quiet
Hands' and Feet of Small Children who Just wanna Dance and live no matter what the Priest tells them to do. I SWear to God as Nature if the Priest/Parents would Just let the Kids Dance those kids would meet God Face to Face as Nature Real Within set Free.

Anyways; I'm not really Fred Bond; or Batman; i'M JusT a Detective to DO Live. I Believe in Do it Your Self and by Your Self With Others just for Fun; And Hell no; unlike Trump at my Age on a Tour Bus; or 'Mounting' Accusations Against A Supreme Court Nominee, i don't Have to Force myself on any Woman;

For I Give Good Dance;
Getting All Tax Free Returns In Smiles;
The Barter Of Love.

ANoTHeR 'Peace' of Super-Male Advice;
Look For Humor In Everything Life;
A Smile Won't Hurt If Real.

https://katiemiafrederick.files.wordpre ... g_8199.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgAu1i6aChs


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,698

24 Sep 2018, 11:35 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
I agree that humanity's chances are slim - and getting slimmer, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort.

I don't know if we're as bad off as we would be if massive social media censorship were enacted, ie. to ensure tripe and discourage/remove uncomfortable but necessary conversation.

Where I think we are is a place where we need to really get good at sorting out who uses information to get at and best approximate truth, who uses it only instrumentally to serve personal goals, and tell that last group from people who might be struggling to find truth but doing so poorly or while still holding onto one form of cherished dogma or another.


Yes, I think materially we're better off now than at any time in the past, but spiritually and morally the opposite is true.

Quote:


Your opinion is not my reality. I'd give my two eye teeth to serve on the front lines and I'm no weakling either.

I don't see the point you're trying to make here.


卐 That's because you don't know what I look like at 5-7 and 270 lbs with upper arms that would put a lot of men to shame. Add a German helmet to that and looking at me would be a real treat because I wear those. Mmmmm lovely. I'm also trans, not that it makes a difference to you. 卐


Off topic but I think it should be said on behalf of all Germans, and as a jew who also has some gentile German heritage. The nazi era represents a small, dark blip in the history of Germany and the region of Germany has a rich, long history outside of that, which far better represents it.



NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 567

24 Sep 2018, 12:56 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Women shouldn't be allowed to be president because they're not subject to the draft? Last time I checked, male politicians aren't shy about wanted to pass laws concerning women's bodies, specifically pregnancy and childbirth.


That's exactly the analogy I was about to draw, and you should remember that a male-majority court struck those laws down. Also remember that a lot of women continue to support abortion bans. So regarding this:

Quote:
And women being exempt from the draft wasn't a law passed by feminists, it was passed by men.


And abortion laws continue to be supported by a large share of women.

I would also dispute the suggestion that a large share of feminists seriously support a gender equal draft. I'm untactful enough to have asked that question of quite a few women (including some who were pretty politically active and assertive), and it seemed to make most of them uncomfortable.

Quote:
Besides women, such as myself, can and have served in the military. During my time in the USAF I had the honor of serving with a former EOD technician who was a veteran of the Khobar tower incident. I'd say she would have more of a right to run for office than some guy who has never even set foot on a military base despite having to register for selective service.


When is she going to run?

I made that argument in response to Spooky_Mulder's litmus test by which women as a group couldn't be considered equal until all 'high' positions have been held by a woman. My response to that is that the presidency is different.

If it bugs you because the president also has a lot of domestic power, then I'd freely concede your point. In fact I'd be happy to see the president stripped of most domestic powers because my time as a Democratic organizer left me with the impression that it's almost impossible for voters to make an informed decision about an office that's so convoluted.



Last edited by NobodyKnows on 24 Sep 2018, 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,429
Location: The Oort Cloud

24 Sep 2018, 1:08 pm

NobodyKnows wrote:

That's exactly the analogy I was about to draw, and you should remember that a male-majority court struck those laws down. Also remember that a lot of women continue to support abortion bans. So regarding this:


I know. I'm confused by the notion that a politician shouldn't be allowed to vote on, or dictate, issues that don't directly affect them. Most politicians are old, rich, white men who will never have to concern themselves with healthcare costs, welfare, WIC, ect. yet they still get to make decisions regarding these issues.


_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (moderator)


NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 567

24 Sep 2018, 1:18 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:

That's exactly the analogy I was about to draw, and you should remember that a male-majority court struck those laws down. Also remember that a lot of women continue to support abortion bans. So regarding this:


I know. I'm confused by the notion that a politician shouldn't be allowed to vote on, or dictate, issues that don't directly affect them. Most politicians are old, rich, white men who will never have to concern themselves with healthcare costs, welfare, WIC, ect. yet they still get to make decisions regarding these issues.


(I edited my post around the time you made yours.)



sly279
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,952
Location: US

24 Sep 2018, 1:19 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
I'd say make it so only the people who can post historical/statistical evidence to back up their claims rather than subjective opinion can participate. Whole lot of subjective from many, not many here actually posting evidence to back that up with.

That would be the point of invites - call up someone you know would be good for it.

So make a echo chamber, sounds great and I’m sure it’ll make all those who agree with each other feel good but it won’t be reality



Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,041
Location: NY

24 Sep 2018, 1:39 pm

Not a litmus test an observation- other countries in this regard are more advanced than the US. I know saying America is anything but great is controversial to both parties but America was never great.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,693
Location: Stendec

24 Sep 2018, 1:50 pm

sly279 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
I'd say make it so only the people who can post historical/statistical evidence to back up their claims rather than subjective opinion can participate. Whole lot of subjective from many, not many here actually posting evidence to back that up with.
That would be the point of invites - call up someone you know would be good for it.
So make a echo chamber, sounds great and I’m sure it’ll make all those who agree with each other feel good but it won’t be reality
There's a fine line between an "Echo Chamber" and a "Safe Space".

In the former, everyone repeats what everyone else is saying. In the latter, certain rules apply for all discussions. Here are 6 simple ones:

1) All participants reserve the right to be wrong. Some people are mistaken or misinformed, while others are simply ignorant -- this does not mean that they are bad people, only that there is an existential need to be corrected.

2) All participants reserve the right to change their minds, and all other participants should respect that right. This is not hypocrisy; nor is it "flip-flopping". When someone is convinced that their conclusions are invalid, then they should feel safe in admitting it -- they should have no reason to fear a "loss of face".

3) Personal attacks are prohibited. The stated topic of discussion is not the person presenting an opinion.

4) Profanity is prohibited. At the very least, it's a distraction; at the most, it is provocative.

5) Stay on topic. For example, if the topic is "The Imbalance of Child Custody Rights", then don't derail the topic to how your step-parent made you feel bad for being someone else's child.

6) Citation is encouraged. Evidence, please? While not mandatory, don't expect your claim to be blindly accepted by anyone. If someone asks for proof to back up your claim, provide it; and remember, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,421
Location: Adelaide, Australia

24 Sep 2018, 5:45 pm

Of course democracy manages to thrive in countries that don’t have the draft at all.

I get the impression that MRAs hate the draft but rather than calling for its complete abolition they want women subject to it as well.

It's a bit like the communist revolutionaries who wanted to make the rich live in poverty rather than eliminate poverty. In both cases they prefer revenge over actually fixing the problem.


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


sly279
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,952
Location: US

24 Sep 2018, 6:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
sly279 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
I'd say make it so only the people who can post historical/statistical evidence to back up their claims rather than subjective opinion can participate. Whole lot of subjective from many, not many here actually posting evidence to back that up with.
That would be the point of invites - call up someone you know would be good for it.
So make a echo chamber, sounds great and I’m sure it’ll make all those who agree with each other feel good but it won’t be reality
There's a fine line between an "Echo Chamber" and a "Safe Space".

In the former, everyone repeats what everyone else is saying. In the latter, certain rules apply for all discussions. Here are 6 simple ones:

1) All participants reserve the right to be wrong. Some people are mistaken or misinformed, while others are simply ignorant -- this does not mean that they are bad people, only that there is an existential need to be corrected.

2) All participants reserve the right to change their minds, and all other participants should respect that right. This is not hypocrisy; nor is it "flip-flopping". When someone is convinced that their conclusions are invalid, then they should feel safe in admitting it -- they should have no reason to fear a "loss of face".

3) Personal attacks are prohibited. The stated topic of discussion is not the person presenting an opinion.

4) Profanity is prohibited. At the very least, it's a distraction; at the most, it is provocative.

5) Stay on topic. For example, if the topic is "The Imbalance of Child Custody Rights", then don't derail the topic to how your step-parent made you feel bad for being someone else's child.

6) Citation is encouraged. Evidence, please? While not mandatory, don't expect your claim to be blindly accepted by anyone. If someone asks for proof to back up your claim, provide it; and remember, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

He said only people with stats and historical facts should be able to post and he and others form left consider any differering facts or stats fake and so itd be limited to only people who share facts and stats that they agree with and thus a eco chamber.