Anyone else get insomnia and fix it using weighted blanket?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

raw83472
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2018, 7:57 am

I'm 35 y/o and have aspergers... I started having severe sleep issues (non-restorative sleep) about three years ago (for no apparent reason, I wasn't depressed or having any obvious anxiety), and after trying lots of medicines (and losing two jobs because of non-restorative sleep) I finally tried a weighted blanket, and now sleep pretty much perfect every night...

So has anyone else developed (or always had) severe sleep issues (enough to affect your job performance) and been able to fix it using a weighted blanket?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 9:02 am

I find it very comforting, but I don't know if it improves my sleep.

I haven't actually used it in a while, I might have to go grab it now that the weather is cooling down a bit. I'm always kind of afraid to use it, because my cat sleeps with me now, and I don't want her putting her claws in it =/ So it has to be cold enough that I can sandwich it between other covers.

Ohnos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2018, 9:42 am

I've never heard of that before, but I do know I sleep worse when it's hot and I can't use my quilt...
How does it work?

raw83472
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 10:58 am

OP, how much weight does your blanket apply? Is it warm enough by itself, or do you use other blankets with it? Are you able to move around, or does it hold you in one position while you sleep?

I don't think I've ever heard of them before, but maybe I should try one.

Last edited by ezbzbfcg2 on 23 Sep 2018, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

raw83472
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2018, 11:39 am

It is 15lbs (80" x 60") and I got it from Amazon for about $80. I weight 140 lbs, but they say it should weigh about 10% of your body weight... It actually doesn't feel that heavy, just like a gentle "hug" (like it's wrapping around me and pressing down to some extent). I have another blanket I put on top of it since I'm worried it may not be hot enough, and I have no clue if I'm moving around much at night... but I'm not waking up in the middle of the night either...

Here's the blanket I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075L7TNBV/?coliid=I35AYKDC6HCQKQ&colid=3LHQNITBFEOGD

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 12:14 pm

Thank you for your prompt response, OP. As for your original question, although I sleep, I don't feel the sleep is restorative. It's almost like I'm missing a sleep cycle or something. Thank you for bringing attention to these blankets. For less than $100, I think I'll get one and share my experiences too.

I'm also curious if anyone here has had success with weighted blankets.

OP, gotta say, I probably weigh about 175. I don't know if that means I should jump to a 20-pounder. I do fear it being too restrictive. Plus, I see you're in Fla. (lucky). I'm about a thousand miles north of you in Jersey, not sure if a weighted blanket would be enough in the wintertime. Do you find them to be too warm or not warm enough?

Also, gotta ask, how did you find out about weighted blankets, and how long did it take for them to be effective in correcting your sleep?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 1:51 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
OP, gotta say, I probably weigh about 175. I don't know if that means I should jump to a 20-pounder. I do fear it being too restrictive.

I thought the rule of thumb, when I read it, was 10% of your body weight, plus 10 lbs. I want to say my blanket is 25 lbs, but I'm not sure.

It's not restrictive at all, the weight is evenly distributed throughout the blanket, so a good portion of it isn't even on your body, but on the mattress. The only real problem with these blankets is that if too much goes over the side of the bed, gravity tends to want to bring the rest of the blanket with it.

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
I'm about a thousand miles north of you in Jersey, not sure if a weighted blanket would be enough in the wintertime. Do you find them to be too warm or not warm enough?

If you get a proper one with poly fill (or whatever it's called), it's not much warmer than any other blanket. You still need to layer them in the Winter. I find mine to be too warm to use in the Summer, but it's made out of a thicker material.

We keep our heating down pretty low (especially at night), so what I would usually do is a sheet first, then the weighted blanket, then a regular blanket, and the comforter on top. For added bonus, ~20 minutes before bed, throw a hot water bottle between the sheet and the weighted blanket, down by where your feet go.

I'm going to have to figure out how to reconfigure my setup, since I sleep on a futon now, and just the kakebuton by itself is super comfortable. But sleeping on the floor means I won't have to worry about the weighted blanket falling off the bed now =)

Ohnos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2018, 4:44 pm

They look good but the price hurts my brain. Do you think it would be possible to make one?

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2018, 10:19 pm

Ohnos wrote:
They look good but the price hurts my brain. Do you think it would be possible to make one?

Hurts my brain too. I'd be interested in this same question, at least to know if it has any positive benefits for me.

I may just look into whether I can borrow one from the hospital, they have various things available for loan.

I have untreated sleep apnea, so I know that's where much of my sleep problem, uh, lies, but something else that can help would be, uh, helpful.

I've never been able to get used to the facemasks and, in particular, the straps that go around the back. It makes it feel as though I'm trying to sleep on a rock despite the fact that I'm clearly not.

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2018, 12:36 am

Fun fact.
If you're getting any sleep at all at night, it's actually called hyposomnia. It's only insomnia if you're getting absolutely zero sleep.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 5:21 am

Ohnos wrote:
Do you think it would be possible to make one?

Mine was hand-made, but she said it was still pretty expensive.

Ohnos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2018, 8:10 am

I looked it up online and it's pretty straightforward to make, for about 1/3 of the price to buy. The second problem is staying interested long enough to make it...

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 12:08 pm

I sleep with 10 blankets at night. I havent got around to buying a weighted blanket. I find I need weight on my body to sleep but I also get really cold during my sleep and cant seem to regulate my body temperature so using lots of blankets solves both issues.

Magpie_01
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2018, 1:53 pm

I love my weighted blanket. Yes, the price is outrageous but I wouldn't miss it for the world, there's nothing like curling up underneath it. I really like the sensation of it, too - the weight shifts when I shift because it's filled with beans (?). My blanket is 15 lbs which fits my weight (110lbs). I've been recommended that it shouldn't be heavier than 10% of your body weight.