Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Merboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2018, 3:55 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this message board, I've been reading a few of the threads, and even though I tend to find interacting online a bit overwhelming, I thought this site would be more understanding so thought that I'd give it a go.

I'm from the UK, and I've recently been diagnosed with autism, early last month in fact. And honestly it's all been a bit of a whirlwind, I turned 43 a few months ago, and I knew very little about autism, Aspergers etc, it came on my radar when a friend mentioned that there may be a link between autism and addiction. I've been in recovery for over 3 years, but before that I've struggled with alcohol, and other mental health issues.

To cut a long story short I read a book on autism and Aspergers in adults by Dr Luke Beardon, that resinated more deeply with me than I could ever have expected, it explained me on almost every level, from early childhood and teens years, and including the years of masking behaviour, and sensory issues. In my opinion it's a really well written and accessible book that neither pathologises or patronises autistic people.

The deep emotional impact of the book and the following self recognition compelled me to seek a diagnosis.
I was incredibly lucky to be taken seriously by my local neurobehavioural unit. I think this was because of my ongoing mental health issues, and the fact that they thought having to wait up to a year or more for an assessment would add to my distress.
While I waited for my assessment I researched more about ASC (it became a bit of special interest :) .) And I became fairly certain that I was on the spectrum.
I was still really anxious while I waited, couldn't think of anything else. I went to the assessment and afterwards I got told the result that I was without doubt autistic.

Here I am now, relieved, but still trying to make sense of all this. Ever since I began to suspect that I might be autistic I've been having what I can only describe as vivid flashbacks to my early childhood as I try to rediscover, and hopefully recover some of the person that I was before the masking told hold. I've got a lot to learn, but I'm excited about this!
For me I feel it's been a bit of a gift to have had a chance to make this discovery about myself. Glad to meet you all!

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 9:43 pm

Welcome Merboy!

I'm your friendly neighborhood (tad bit silly) guardian gatekeeper :mrgreen:

Hope you will enjoy the forum, find useful information and find recognition here.

(And give me a cookie biscuit on your way in :wink: )

SunshineEmma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2018, 2:52 am

Hi Merboy and welcome to the forum :)

I'm glad you got your diagnosis and that you're excited about learning more about yourself and the Autism! I hope you'll get on ok with everything :)

Merboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2018, 6:59 am

Thanks for the warm welcome LoneLoyalWolf and SunshineEmma! :D :heart:

*Throws Wolf a cookie, or biscuit as we say here in the UK* :wink:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 3:24 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2018, 5:53 pm

Hi there, Im in the uk and I totally get what you are saying. I was diagnosed at 37 but it has taken me 3yrs really to be able to say Im done processing and going over all the crap Ive carried and gathered along the road of undiagnosed life.

Its important to let yourself do this, be kind to yourself too as you go through all the stuff you need to think about. I even went back and messaged ppl from 20 yrs ago to put to rest things that have bugged me ever since, now able to see what the asd had caused etc. Ppl have been kind and I feel rested now. It just takes time but you will find a way to make life so much better now you know.

Merboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2018, 7:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome Anonymous!

And thank you Babi dwr, and it's great to meet about person from the UK. And I very much appreciate you sharing your experience. I've been feeling that maybe I've gone a little bit over the top, I seem to be processing and trying to, make sense of my whole life in light of this diagnosis.
I feel like I've gone from be relativity oblivious, (I've never found self reflection easy) to becoming acutely aware of the way that autism impacts every aspect of my life, all the struggles that I have had, and continue to have, particularly when it comes to forming deeper relationships, and intimacy.

Also there have been good things, passionate interests, and a being able to perceive things in a different and intense way.

I am glad that you have managed to lay some of your ghosts to rest and to find some peace.

I shall try to your advice to be gentle and patient with myself through this process.

Homo Sapien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2018, 8:30 pm

Hello everybody! I wanted to try out this website. I’ve been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome when I was around 8 years old. I felt like a social outcast in high school. I couldn’t be characterized in a group or clique. Now that I’m out of high school and into college, I don’t feel like an outcast anymore. In fact, I’m okay being a creative and unique individual. Well, now you know a little bit about me! Thank you for listening to my experience with AS. :heart:

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 7:22 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet and all of it's forums etc including coming across other people in the autistic spectrum.