GOP tried to rush Kavanaugh because of new, 2nd accuser

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 9:46 pm

Senate Democrats Investigate a New Allegation of Sexual Misconduct, from Brett Kavanaugh’s College Years

Quote:
Senior Republican staffers also learned of the allegation last week and, in conversations with The New Yorker, expressed concern about its potential impact on Kavanaugh’s nomination. Soon after, Senate Republicans issued renewed calls to accelerate the timing of a committee vote...

[Deborah Ramirez] remembers Kavanaugh had exposed himself at a drunken dormitory party, thrust his penis in her face, and caused her to touch it without her consent as she pushed him away. Ramirez is now calling for the F.B.I. to investigate Kavanaugh’s role in the incident. “I would think an F.B.I. investigation would be warranted,” she said...

Ramirez said that, when both she and Kavanaugh were freshmen at Yale, she was invited by a friend on the women’s soccer team to a dorm-room party. She recalled that the party took place in a suite at Lawrance Hall, in the part of Yale known as Old Campus, and that a small group of students decided to play a drinking game together. “We were sitting in a circle,” she said. “People would pick who drank.” Ramirez was chosen repeatedly, she said, and quickly became inebriated. At one point, she said, a male student pointed a gag plastic penis in her direction. Later, she said, she was on the floor, foggy and slurring her words, as that male student and another stood nearby. (Ramirez identified the two male onlookers, but, at her request, The New Yorker is not naming them.)

A third male student then exposed himself to her. “I remember a penis being in front of my face,” she said. “I knew that’s not what I wanted, even in that state of mind.” She recalled remarking, “That’s not a real penis,” and the other students laughing at her confusion and taunting her, one encouraging her to “kiss it.” She said that she pushed the person away, touching it in the process. Ramirez, who was raised a devout Catholic, in Connecticut, said that she was shaken. “I wasn’t going to touch a penis until I was married,” she said. “I was embarrassed and ashamed and humiliated.” She remembers Kavanaugh standing to her right and laughing, pulling up his pants. “Brett was laughing,” she said. “I can still see his face, and his hips coming forward, like when you pull up your pants.” She recalled another male student shouting about the incident. “Somebody yelled down the hall, ‘Brett Kavanaugh just put his penis in Debbie’s face,’ ” she said. “It was his full name. I don’t think it was just ‘Brett.’ And I remember hearing and being mortified that this was out there.”...

By his freshman year, Kavanaugh was eighteen, and legally an adult. During his confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Kavanaugh swore under oath that as a legal adult he had never “committed any verbal or physical harassment or assault of a sexual nature.”...

A classmate of Ramirez’s, who declined to be identified because of the partisan battle over Kavanaugh’s nomination, said that another student told him about the incident either on the night of the party or in the next day or two. The classmate said that he is “one-hundred-per-cent sure” that he was told at the time that Kavanaugh was the student who exposed himself to Ramirez. He independently recalled many of the same details offered by Ramirez, including that a male student had encouraged Kavanaugh as he exposed himself. The classmate, like Ramirez, recalled that the party took place in a common room on the first floor in Entryway B of Lawrance Hall, during their freshman year. “I’ve known this all along,” he said. “It’s been on my mind all these years when his name came up. It was a big deal.” The story stayed with him, he said, because it was disturbing and seemed outside the bounds of typically acceptable behavior, even during heavy drinking at parties on campus. The classmate said that he had been shocked, but not necessarily surprised, because the social group to which Kavanaugh belonged often drank to excess. He recalled Kavanaugh as “relatively shy” until he drank, at which point he said that Kavanaugh could become “aggressive and even belligerent.”

Another classmate, Richard Oh, an emergency-room doctor in California, recalled overhearing, soon after the party, a female student tearfully recounting to another student an incident at a party involving a gag with a fake penis, followed by a male student exposing himself. Oh is not certain of the identity of the female student. Ramirez told her mother and sister about an upsetting incident at the time, but did not describe the details to either due to her embarrassment...

While at Yale, Kavanaugh became a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, or “DKE,” which several students said was known for its wild and, in the view of some critics, misogynistic parties. Kavanaugh was also a member of an all-male secret society, Truth and Courage, which was popularly known by the nickname “Tit and Clit.”...

Last week, Vanity Fair reported that White House officials were concerned about additional allegations against Kavanaugh emerging, and cited a source who claimed that Ivanka Trump, the President’s daughter and adviser, had urged him to withdraw Kavanaugh’s nomination...

Deborah Ramirez, a Yale classmate of Brett Kavanaugh’s, has described a dormitory party gone awry and a drunken incident that she wants the F.B.I. to investigate.
Photograph by Benjamin Rasmussen for The New Yorker

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 3:13 am

This has nothing to do whether Kavanaugh was or is a sexual predator and EVERYTHING to do with the ideology of the next SCOTUS judge. I am not talking about what should be important but what is important. Both sides are expecting a “blue wave”. If the nominee gets confirmed fast that seat is likely conservative for the next few decades. If the nomination can be stalled and the blue wave happens this gets prevented and possibly the seat is not filled and maybe eventually goes progressive.

From being around at the time her claim is more then credible. Just look at the movies from that time that reflected and encouraged the attitudes of that time ”Animal House”, “Porky’s”, “Revenge of the Nerds” etc, the same with the music.

That all said Pelosi had the information and waited for the opportune time to disclose it. And Ford is a registered democrat who contributed to the DNC and the Sanders campaign. These are reasons for those that want to see Ford as a crises actress to believe that. Ford’s progressive activism could be used to bolster the validity of her claim. The contribution was only $80.50 and so far I have see no evidence of progressive activism until Trump ran. It is believable that a sexual assault victim would be woke by the Trump phenomenon.

No matter how convincing the case for or against because the stakes are so high I am never going to be even remotely sure what did or did not happen.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 8:12 am

thoughtbeast wrote:
GOP tried to rush Kavanaugh because of new, 2nd accuser.
The fun is only just beginning. Wait and see...

:twisted:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 9:25 am

Fnord wrote:
thoughtbeast wrote:

Quote:
The GOP will wait to see the reaction of Sens. Jeff Flake of Arizona, Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Bob Corker of Tennessee to assess whether they can proceed, according to a person familiar with caucus politics.

Kavanaugh confirmation in renewed peril after second assault claim
Brett Kavanaugh does not yet have the votes to be confirmed and several GOP senators are watching his reaction to sexual misconduct allegations closely. | Jacquelyn Martin/AP Photo

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 9:35 am

Fnord wrote:
thoughtbeast wrote:

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if additional cases came out of the woodwork.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 10:18 am

They should jettison Kavanaugh, select Jeanine Pirro or some other conservative woman and be done with it.

This vacancy isn't about one candidate over another. If you boil it down it's obvious to me it's about one thing: Abortion.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 10:41 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Fnord wrote:
thoughtbeast wrote:
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if additional cases came out of the woodwork.
This is what I'm referring to:

Third Kavanaugh Accuser

Quote:
A Yale classmate of Brett Kavanaugh, Deborah Ramirez, has come forward with allegations of assault their freshmen year of college. She describes to journalists Ronan Farrow and Jane Mayer a dorm party in which the two with several others were playing a drinking game.

Fourth Kavanaugh Accuser

Quote:
On Monday, the Montgomery County Sentinel reported that authorities in Montgomery County, Maryland are looking into a fourth potential allegation of assault at the hands of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. "While investigators weren’t specific and spoke on background, they said they are looking at allegations against Kavanaugh during his senior year in high school after an anonymous witness came forward this weekend," says the Sentinel.

The floodgates are opening... :twisted:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 11:04 am

Magna wrote:
They should jettison Kavanaugh, select Jeanine Pirro or some other conservative woman and be done with it.

This vacancy isn't about one candidate over another. If you boil it down it's obvious to me it's about one thing: Abortion.

While abortion is important it is about the conservative agenda, ruling regulation on big business unconstitutional, reverting, the gay marriage ruling, expanding free speech/destroying hate speech and hate crime laws, expanding presidential power, ruling indicting Trump is unconstitutional, making labor unions unconstitutional. Not every conservative is on board with every piece of the agenda, and most realize what I wrote above is a wish list and won't be fully implemented but it will be implemented to a degree with a conservative court.

Because of the above, everything you read and hear about must be viewed as not legitimate but as part of a "by any means necessary" strategy to either ram through or stall the nomination.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 12:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Magna wrote:

While abortion is important it is about the conservative agenda, ruling regulation on big business unconstitutional, reverting, the gay marriage ruling, expanding free speech/destroying hate speech and hate crime laws, expanding presidential power, ruling indicting Trump is unconstitutional, making labor unions unconstitutional. Not every conservative is on board with every piece of the agenda, and most realize what I wrote above is a wish list and won't be fully implemented but it will be implemented to a degree with a conservative court.

Because of the above, everything you read and hear about must be viewed as not legitimate but as part of a "by any means necessary" strategy to either ram through or stall the nomination.

I should probably revise what I said to say that it's obviously primarily about abortion. I agree with you that there are many other ancillary concerns the left have in their perceived ramifications of what the appointment of a conservative supreme court pick might have.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 12:58 pm

Quote:
“Somebody yelled down the hall, ‘Brett Kavanaugh just put his penis in Debbie’s face,’ ” she said. “It was his full name. I don’t think it was just ‘Brett.’ And I remember hearing and being mortified that this was out there.”...

That appears to be fake.

They wouldn't use his full name.

They would just say "Brett", like they did with "Debbie".

The weird thing is that she doesn't identify this Brett Kavanugh.

The guy in her room could be Brett Canvanoff , a student from a different school.

Then she want a "FBI investigation" into something that happened 30+ years ago, and is a state matter. Which indicates she has an ulterior motive. If she wants an investigation then go to the campus, file a report. Go to the police, file a report.

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 24 Sep 2018, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 1:14 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
That appears to be fake...
Maybe to you, but men have been convicted of sex crimes on just that much testimony.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 1:25 am

Magna wrote:

Jeanine Pirro. That would be interesting.