25 Sep 2018, 4:40 am

Did it help ?

What are the pros & cons in your opinion

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 8:52 am

I was given Ritalin not for ASD, but supposedly for hyperactivity. It didn't help me at all, and made me into a zombie. I think it was prescribed wrongly, in my opinion.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 9:00 am

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-adhd- ... ys-breasts
At least it isn't as nasty as Risperdal. It was pushed as an ADHD treatment by Johnson & Johnson. But for years it came without a warning that it could develop breasts in prepubescent boys.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 4:32 pm

Maybe it's not a common med for ASD then.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 4:36 pm

BTDT wrote:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-adhd-drug-that-gives-boys-breasts
At least it isn't as nasty as Risperdal. It was pushed as an ADHD treatment by Johnson & Johnson. But for years it came without a warning that it could develop breasts in prepubescent boys.

I was given Risperdal a long time ago , no breasts though thankfully - as most drugs I have been given it didn't do anything except give me side effects.

JSBACH
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2018, 4:12 am

My only diagnosis is asperger. I have used it prescribed as a stimulant. Yes. It did help me to focus and not be easily distracted. However as it is a stimulant, you don't feel your fysical limit very clearly. What previously brought me to sensory overload and shutdown didn't bother me anymore. Long story short, I used it and went over my limits for so long that I had a burnout which took me almost a year to recover from.
Side effects include bad sleep, but that lack of sleep is compensated for by another tablet of ritalin in the morning (stimulant). This is a dangerous trap to fall into. Need to stim decreases. Social gatherings and social talk is way more easy, I didn't need my alone time to recover anymore. This lack of alone time made it impossible for me to recover fully, which can again be compensated for by another tablet the next morning. On the surface, ASD symptoms may seem to improve, but in reality it just gives you more energy to cope with ASD symptoms.
Just compare your body to an engine. You can remove the rev limiter, but you risk blowing up the engine. Make sure that the doctor that gives the prescription knows autism very well. Mine didn't and the results were not pleasant. Use it wisely and listen to your body. At the end of the day, you have to pay the price (figuratively speaking)!

Your mileage may vary,

Ogimachi

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 5:09 am

^ Thanks Ogimachi , sounds like it might be useful for me although the downsides you listed easily outweigh the upsides