Page 5 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like we're coming to a "new world order" now......where all the crap that's happened in the past....will not happen again.

The "me-too" movement had to happen; otherwise, the sort of abuse many people experienced at the hands of people who thought they had a "free hand" would continue.

I've been the recipient, though to not so great a degree as many, of this sort of abuse. So I know what it feels like.

I'm sorry to hear this, Korts.
People need to acknowledge that victims and the so-called 'me-too' people aren't always female, the accused aren't always male, and gender isn't a key factor in psychosexual abuse. It's about power.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:31 pm

EzraS wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The thing about Kavanaugh....is that he's talking about some "Democratic conspiracy" or something like that. Something along the lines of what Trump might say.

He's not fit to be a Justice----because he can't get out of his own political way.

and because there is reasonable proof that he participated in attempted gang rape, forcible confinement and suffocation.

Case closed.

There isn't reasonable proof though that he did or did not do that. There's just Ford's accusation and testimony which I find questionable. I didn't find the testimony against Cosby and Weinstein et al questionable, but this I do.

I didn't care for Kavanaugh's demeanor, but at least it was raw and consistent. Ford's wasn't. It seemed more like she had rehearsed the whole thing.

I'm perfectly fine with Kavanaugh getting passed over. But I find the whole thing brought against him and how it was handled to be suspicious.

This isn't a criminal investigation and doesn't require the same standards of proof. It's essentially a job interview. There are better candidates, clearly.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:32 pm

EzraS wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The thing about Kavanaugh....is that he's talking about some "Democratic conspiracy" or something like that. Something along the lines of what Trump might say.

He's not fit to be a Justice----because he can't get out of his own political way.

and because there is reasonable proof that he participated in attempted gang rape, forcible confinement and suffocation.

Case closed.

There isn't reasonable proof though that he did or did not do that. There's just Ford's accusation and testimony which I find questionable. I didn't find the testimony against Cosby and Weinstein et al questionable, but this I do.

I didn't care for Kavanaugh's demeanor, but at least it was raw and consistent. Ford's wasn't. It seemed more like she had rehearsed the whole thing.

I'm perfectly fine with Kavanaugh getting passed over. But I find the whole thing brought against him and how it was handled to be suspicious.

Why? Because she was composed and acted like an adult while Kavanaugh acted like a child that has always gotten his way and is finally being held accountable?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:33 pm

Nobody who is any credible candidate for the Supreme Court would have spewed the stuff that Kavanaugh spewed.

Do you feel, 10 years ago, that if somebody lost control like Kavanaugh did, that that person would have withdrew his nomination immediately?

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:35 pm

EzraS wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Case closed.

Just going to chime in here. I do not think Ford's testimony can be judged - as the way it was conducted was not how testimony would be given if Kavanaugh was on trial. He wasn't, it was a job interview. The questions ping ponged between dems, sympathetic and supportive, and the repubs prosecutor who was trying to drill into minute details, with the intention of throwing her testimony into question - all in 5 minute chunks with no chance of supporting evidence given or time for cross questioning. She was not on trial, but everyone is now deciding on her credibility and in a way it is her who is now on trial. The fact that she told other people about this years ago shows this is not some political hack. The prosecutor even said at the end of Ford's time that there is no way this process (5 minute questions) would be used in an actual court of law. And now the poor woman is being mocked by the President with his audience laughing. Vileness, utter vileness. :x

AQ 40
ASD-1

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:36 pm

EzraS wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Case closed.

What's a lot more suspicious is how the GOP has rigged the entire process from the start. You know, like this:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:37 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
EzraS wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Case closed.

Why? Because she was composed and acted like an adult while Kavanaugh acted like a child that has always gotten his way and is finally being held accountable?

Thank you again, blackicmenace, for your support. :heart:

@thoughtbeast: LMAO :P

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:53 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
EzraS wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Case closed.

Yeah that's it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:03 pm

feeli0 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Case closed.

Just going to chime in here. I do not think Ford's testimony can be judged - as the way it was conducted was not how testimony would be given if Kavanaugh was on trial. He wasn't, it was a job interview. The questions ping ponged between dems, sympathetic and supportive, and the repubs prosecutor who was trying to drill into minute details, with the intention of throwing her testimony into question - all in 5 minute chunks with no chance of supporting evidence given or time for cross questioning. She was not on trial, but everyone is now deciding on her credibility and in a way it is her who is now on trial. The fact that she told other people about this years ago shows this is not some political hack. The prosecutor even said at the end of Ford's time that there is no way this process (5 minute questions) would be used in an actual court of law. And now the poor woman is being mocked by the President with his audience laughing. Vileness, utter vileness. :x

*(writes lengthy and supportive PM to feeli0 in her mind)* Thank you.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Brett Kavanaugh's Body Language Says It All, According To An Expert

Body language expert Patti Wood, author of Snap: Making the Most of First Impressions, Body Language, and Charisma, says that his conduct in the interview said volumes about his past. "What happened was very complex," she tells Refinery29. "It was not a real interview. He controlled what was happening. He was not surprised by any questions. He spent the majority of the time, according to my transcript analysis, talking about what a good guy he was."

So, what exactly is Brett Kavanaugh trying to tell us with his perpetual smug grin? Ahead, read Wood's further analysis of the Fox News interview, as well as key moments in Kavanaugh's hearings, for insight into what the Supreme Court nominee is truly thinking.

When analyzing the transcript of the Fox News interview, Wood highlighted two types of statements: Kavanaugh's denials ("I’ve never sexually assaulted anyone in high school or otherwise") and his statements about how wholesome he is ("I was focused on trying to be number-one in my class and being captain of the varsity basketball team and doing my service projects, going to church").

She found that the amount of time he spends on his good-behavior statements — when he talks about church, friends, and school — far outweighs how long he dedicates to denials. "Normally an innocent person wants to spend a lot of time denying what happened," she says. "They want to make sure you know they didn’t do it. They don’t change the subject to another part of their life and talk about going to church."

In the opening statement of his confirmation hearing, Kavanaugh expresses a platitude about friendship, something he also said in his commencement speech at Catholic University Law School: "Cherish your friends. Look out for your friends. Lift up your friends. Love your friends. … I thank all my friends." Then he pauses to take a long drink of water.

"It was at the time interesting to me, as he was very emotional in the delivery of that message and then he rather nervously took that sip of water, leaning out over the glass instead of bringing the glass back to him in a more confident manner, sure of the statement he just made," Wood says. "It was very important for him to say this. He's nervous about that statement. I can't tell you why, but that's interesting. It's not the delivery you'd expect."

Wood says she can't speculate on why Kavanaugh would be feeling particularly nervous when talking about friendship, but knowing what we know about the allegations — specifically his high schoolbest friend Mark Judge'switnessing of the alleged assault — it becomes a bit clearer.

In this particularly tense exchange, Kavanaugh deviates from what Wood calls his "baseline" behavior. Every time Sen. Harris asks him the question, there is at least 10 seconds of silence before he starts talking, while normally his responses would be quicker. He evades the question, asks Harris questions in response, and touches his face "in self-comfort."

"It's as though there's a game taking place," Wood says, recalling White House press secretarySarah Huckabee Sanders' common expression of "duping delight,"or smiling out of context because your subconscious mind is taking pleasure in having fooled somebody. "The self-satisfied smile — that smug grin — is on the very edge of 'duping delight,' something Sarah Huckabee Sanders does full-on. He's in game mode there, and she, well, she's always in game mode. He's thinking,I'm winning in this game, I'm getting away with not giving you the answer."

At one point, a protestor bursts into the hearing, yelling, "Be a hero and vote no!" After that, Wood notes (around 4:12), Kavanaugh takes a sip of water and sticks his tongue out in what she calls a "tongue thrust."

"Think someone who got away with something on the playground, like got something over on a bully, and they stick their tongue out rather than punch the bully," she says. Taking a sip of water, she adds, is a way of covering his true emotions. "That is a coached move and he is using it to cover his anxiety and the tongue thrust shows his suppressed anger."

When Harris questions him again, he again doesn't answer the question, and he holds his body away from her. "It's interesting that he is 'acting' like he does not understand what she is asking," says Wood. "I know he is acting as I have analyzed his baseline and compared his responses to more difficult and complex questions, and more specifically how his cues are timed. He hesitates, then he gives a perplexed look. He is not looking perplexed as he is asked, or even a moment later."

In this exchange, just as Kavanaugh gets up for a recess, Fred Guttenberg, the father of Parkland victim Jaime Guttenberg, approaches him and tries to shake his hand. Kavanaugh briefly looks at him with bewilderment, then doesn't shake his hand, and quickly walks in the other direction. Later, he would say he didn't recognize Guttenberg. "It had been a chaotic morning,"Kavanaugh wrote. "I unfortunately did not realize that the man was the father of a shooting victim from Parkland, Florida. Mr. Guttenberg has suffered an incalculable loss. If I had known who he was, I would have shaken his hand, talked to him, and expressed my sympathy. And I would have listened to him."

To put this in context, Kavanaugh has been skeptical about any type of gun reform. "He is clearly on the record expressing the view that it is illegal to restrict access to assault weapons like the one used in Parkland," Adam Skaggs, chief counsel at the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, toldVice. "He has made fairly clear that he believes regulating who can carry concealed weapons in public is constitutionally suspect. And he has outlined a view of how courts should approach Second Amendment questions that would call into question a host of the types of laws legislatures in many states have passed after Parkland."

"The handshake is not a simple read," says Wood. "He would not normally shake hands in these circumstances; it's important to point out that that would be bizarre. And it's important to note that he has been under scrutiny and questioning for hours. He thinks he is done and can turn off. That time when someone thinks they can turn off is one of the most honest and revealing times. Having said that, you can see Kavanaugh's face go from bewilderment to anger to sadness as he turns away."

The sadness is particularly telling, Wood says. "Sadness in that context wouldn't make sense to me with a stranger. What would make sense to me is that he did recognize who this was."

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/brett-k ... 00859.html

Kavanaugh Or Ford? Why It's So Hard To Read The Body Language Of A Liar

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolkinse ... of-a-liar/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:23 pm

So there's a body language expert speaking out against Ford and another speaking out against Kavanaugh. It would be preferable to have an expert give an unbiased analysis of both.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:25 pm

Not sure if I will ever figure you out EzraS, but I like you nonetheless.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:30 pm

EzraS wrote:
So there's a body language expert speaking out against Ford and another speaking out against Kavanaugh. It would be preferable to have an expert give an unbiased analysis of both.

Are the body language experts specialists in trauma? I'm sure my body language as a person with PTSD is different from other victims', even excluding the attributes from my ASD. I don't know the answer to this because I can't watch any more. It's physically painful to me.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:45 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Are the body language experts specialists in trauma? I'm sure my body language as a person with PTSD is different from other victims', even excluding the attributes from my ASD. I don't know the answer to this because I can't watch any more. It's physically painful to me.

I would imagine they are trained on how to assess such things. They wouldn't be of much use if they are unable to.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:54 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
Not sure if I will ever figure you out EzraS, but I like you nonetheless.

Think of me as atypical and enigmatic. Thanks.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 10:02 pm

EzraS wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I would imagine they are trained on how to assess such things. They wouldn't be of much use if they are unable to.

I should hope so too, but I haven't heard it mentioned as a variable. Thanks Ezra.