Bill Cosby Sentenced to 3-10 years in prison

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2018, 7:30 pm

Bill Cosby was sentenced to prison yesterday for drugging and raping women. This is a shock to many people around the world who grew up watching the Cosby Show and referring to Cosby as "America's Dad." Cosby is 81 years old. He is the first celebrity to be charged for sexual assault in the MeToo movement. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Cosby deserves prison time and do you think other male celebrities accused of sexual misconduct need to be charged as well?

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 11:01 pm

Yes, he deserved prison time. The impact of his actions on the women he assaulted? Was its own form of imprisonment. (And yes, I was heartbroken when I began seeing news stories about this. I'm old enough to remember his first series, "I Spy".) None of the women he harmed deserved that, none of them deserved to have to live with the memories and the self doubt.

Of course I think other celebrities, if charged, should face trial. And I do think that anyone who does such things should be charged. But we live in a culture that punishes women, unfairly and disproportionately. I'd like to believe that will change, but I'm not really optimistic.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 11:31 pm

I'm glad he's going to prison. I suspect he'll get a fairly early parole because he's probably too old to get in much trouble in prison, and prisons like to dump elderly and dying patients/inmates because they're a PITA to care for. And that would not bother me. But if he got no real prison time, that would be a miscarriage of justice.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 2:29 am

He deserves to be raped himself repeatedly. I know vigilantism is problematic in a number of ways as is an eye for an eye. These are different issues from what he deserves.

As far as the other celebreties if the did the crime they need to do the time. This very much includes Trump and Clinton.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 7:50 pm

He is a serial rapist, absolutely deserves to rot in prison.