Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 6:25 am

I need not “believe” that I’m alive to live; I need not have “faith” in life to live. I can just live. Evidence, logic and a little love for Lady Luck [if I'm feeling delusional] will suffice for this life. Yeah, I'm uncertain if I'm alive or not because I haven't seen both sides of existence (if existence is existence); there's no faith there, just uncertainty because I’m lacking the evidence that'll satisfy my mind.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 4:16 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I need not “believe” that I’m alive to live; I need not have “faith” in life to live. I can just live. Evidence, logic and a little love for Lady Luck [if I'm feeling delusional] will suffice for this life. Yeah, I'm uncertain if I'm alive or not because I haven't seen both sides of existence (if existence is existence); there's no faith there, just uncertainty because I’m lacking the evidence that'll satisfy my mind.

Awesome. 8)

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 6:24 am

Danielismyname wrote:

Presuming that there exists an objective reality.
Something which you believe in, but don't know.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 6:54 am

calandale wrote:
Presuming that there exists an objective reality.
Something which you believe in, but don't know.

It needn't be objective to me. I just need to see "it" to know that it "is"; if I cannot see it, I have no knowledge of it...so I give it no thought -- there's no faith or belief here (I can always ask someone...). If I see it I see it and I can then visualize it, pull it apart and put it back together to understand the workings of it; if it is beyond my level of understanding it's exactly that -- confusion and beyond me.

If I'm living now, I'm living; I need no faith or belief to scratch my neck (it's itchy), it's always worked that way. If it doesn't work, well...there must be something wrong with...something, so I'll have a look and see if I can deduce the problem from what I see. I either know I have a problem or I don't know in the end (if I don't know I can ask someone who has experience with such problems). That person may or may not help me; if she does something to my arm and it works in the way that she specified it would, she knows more than me -- I placed no faith in her because I truly didn't know what my problem was (I accept whatever she does may worsen the situation just as it may help).

"Faith" would be assuming that it will always work that way, and when it doesn't work you...do nothing. Someone or something will come along and lay its healing hand on you because you have faith in your belief. Jesus may come along and save you...that's cool if he does; I'd bet (Lady Luck) that another human may help or worsen your problem, but you won't ask for help so nothing will happen until someone or something forces help/hindrance on you -- it might be Jesus or it might not be, I don't know because I have no faith or belief. If no one forces it on you you can say that “faith” made it that way, that’s cool; I’ll say that it was always going to be that way because it did indeed happen that way if I was there with you and viewed it, and “faith” had nothing to do with it; it was time.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 7:09 am

Danielismyname wrote:

It needn't be objective to me. .

Sure it would. If you DON'T exist,
then how does that change by your
admission of non-existence?

See, the problem is one of language.
We don't have a way to talk about one's
own lack of existence, within our current
logic. BUT, there is no real reason to be
assured that our natural logic is correct.
IT is founded on beliefs. So, without some
truth, in which you either exist or not, discussing
your existence doesn't even really make sense.

AND, what else could possibly make sense, once
we strip even Descartes fundamental truth away?
One for which there is no proof.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 7:34 am

I haven't existed for a long time; 22 years since my first lucid and linguistic image, before then I never existed as I never saw anything; if life is viewing images [to me] and death equates to nothing within my mind, I've been there.... There's no faith here. It was kind of like sleep (as I rarely dream...), there’s my subjective proof; life and death (existence and non-) is subjective until everyone you see is questioned along with you, but then objectivity can easily sway to "group logic" rather than the "right" logic depending on who and what you are.

I don't deal in intangibilities.

That's why I've got no faith or belief; seeing it is enough proof for my mind as that's the first thing I saw.

Nonexistence after I die, awaken, become unplugged or whatever is an intangibility as I haven't seen it.

(I'm not certain of anything, even if I do see it; there's doubt.... But this is useless thought as there's no complete answer as you said. Do you have faith in faith?)

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 8:09 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Do you have faith in faith?)

Beautiful!

Of course, as I discuss it.
Definitions are a matter of faith.

Even using the word I, is.

rideforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2007, 3:49 pm

I'm not sure those surreal discussions go anywhere guys. If you don't want to have a conversation then don't but to turn up and say nothing exists etc... welll it doesn't go anywhere.

Anyway I have been feeling recently that maybe having beliefs is part of the human experience so it might be OK to believe in something. However irrational etc...

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 5:59 pm

rideforever wrote:
I'm not sure those surreal discussions go anywhere guys. If you don't want to have a conversation then don't but to turn up and say nothing exists etc... welll it doesn't go anywhere.

No. That would be a matter of EXTREME faith.

Quote:
Anyway I have been feeling recently that maybe having beliefs is part of the human experience so it might be OK to believe in something. However irrational etc...

Yup. Otherwise, why bother eating?

That's exactly what I'm getting at.
There is no one without faith.
Faith that the laws of nature
will operate as we believe.
Faith in one's own existence.

Faith in a lack of God.

Whatever you 'know' or
believe is fundamentally
based on faith.

I think. :P