Magna
Veteran
Veteran

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 11:05 am

The writing is so poor.

We don't know if they're confessing individually and have different stories.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 11:29 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
The writing is so poor.

Who knows. Believe them? Disbelieve them?

It's interesting though. Normally, would there be a person on the planet that would willingly come forward and admit to being a scumbag if they really weren't? Who would voluntarily do that?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 11:33 am

I hope this teaches prep school students that they can't do the crap they do.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 11:55 am

Magna wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
The writing is so poor.

It's interesting though. Normally, would there be a person on the planet that would willingly come forward and admit to being a scumbag if they really weren't? Who would voluntarily do that?

...Cops and courts always deal with false confessions!

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 12:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope this teaches prep school students that they can't do the crap they do.

...Does this connect reflect some unpleasant personal experience you had in the past?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 12:06 pm

Magna wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
The writing is so poor.

People with power always have others to fall on the sword for them. They could also be off their rocker, some mentally ill people have made false confessions in the past. One or both of them could also be telling the truth. At this point there's not much to go on by that story.

I do believe Blasey was assaulted though, she has absolutely nothing to gain by coming forward right now. I'm also a sexual assault survivor (albeit male), and I can relate to her partial memory of the event: when you have absolutely no control, and people are doing heinous things to your body, your mind goes into shock. What entails is that you remember small details most people will find insignificant to the event, your mind will subconsciously block out major parts of the event (lost forever like blacking out drinking), and all that's really left for a memory is a painful emotion that all too easily turns into resentment, anger, distrust, etc. It's called PTSD, the exact same issue soldiers coming back from war have.

As for those that say: why didn't you come forward then? In my case I did, I was 8 years old at the time and understood nothing about how power works, but I knew what happened was wrong so I told my teacher. That was a life altering mistake at 8 years old. My next 10 years in that school system were a living hell, I'd been branded a liar who creates problems by the administration, and virtually any problem in a classroom regardless of which student created it was blamed on me. I was a pariah. There are absolutely titanic costs speaking truth to power, regardless of age, or institution (also the reason sexual predators seek out positions of power). There are many times, even today, I wish I hadn't just kept my mouth shut. It's one thing to have a traumatic event happen to you, but it's completely sick and twisted for society to punish you for something well outside your control, and that's precisely how I've looked at society ever since: a sick and twisted creature I want as little to do with as possible. That's why people don't come forward, and to be honest, I don't blame them, not with the way society treats survivors.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 12:29 pm

The people who commit these crimes rarely if ever "confess" because they don't really believe they did anything wrong; their sense of entitlement is that obscene.

This is mere closing of ranks, a couple of guys in the red uniforms (old Star Trek slang for disposable) who are doing their best to muddy the waters, probably with a nice payoff waiting for them. Nobody is going to press charges, and I suspect that wherever they work, they will be mysteriously unscathed despite their "confessions".

The best response to this nonsense is to ask them how many others they assaulted, when and where they assaulted each one, and why they are coming forward now. And oh yeah, start looking for the payola.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 12:44 am

Aristophanes wrote:
Magna wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
The writing is so poor.

People with power always have others to fall on the sword for them. They could also be off their rocker, some mentally ill people have made false confessions in the past. One or both of them could also be telling the truth. At this point there's not much to go on by that story.

I do believe Blasey was assaulted though, she has absolutely nothing to gain by coming forward right now. I'm also a sexual assault survivor (albeit male), and I can relate to her partial memory of the event: when you have absolutely no control, and people are doing heinous things to your body, your mind goes into shock. What entails is that you remember small details most people will find insignificant to the event, your mind will subconsciously block out major parts of the event (lost forever like blacking out drinking), and all that's really left for a memory is a painful emotion that all too easily turns into resentment, anger, distrust, etc. It's called PTSD, the exact same issue soldiers coming back from war have.

As for those that say: why didn't you come forward then? In my case I did, I was 8 years old at the time and understood nothing about how power works, but I knew what happened was wrong so I told my teacher. That was a life altering mistake at 8 years old. My next 10 years in that school system were a living hell, I'd been branded a liar who creates problems by the administration, and virtually any problem in a classroom regardless of which student created it was blamed on me. I was a pariah. There are absolutely titanic costs speaking truth to power, regardless of age, or institution (also the reason sexual predators seek out positions of power). There are many times, even today, I wish I hadn't just kept my mouth shut. It's one thing to have a traumatic event happen to you, but it's completely sick and twisted for society to punish you for something well outside your control, and that's precisely how I've looked at society ever since: a sick and twisted creature I want as little to do with as possible. That's why people don't come forward, and to be honest, I don't blame them, not with the way society treats survivors.

The way you were treated is inexcusable. I don't know if things have gotten a lot better.