I sometimes think about something a teacher said to me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 8:28 pm

"You're either good at art or science, never both unless you're a mad scientist".

Yet I find myself looking towards science now and then when attempting to improve my art. Especially anatomy for drawing character designs. When writing I often have to look up small technical details to make sure that a scene actually works.

Also, my family seems to consist of individuals that excel in both art and science. I know a good portion of friends that do as well.

To a certain extent, I understand where that teacher was coming from. When dealing with realistic styles, sometimes it can be tempting to include too much detail (often in an unflattering way) which can ruin the piece. However, having a technical knowledge of certain things can come in handy when creating art.

If my friend didn't know so much about the inner workings of old planes, he wouldn't be able to draw them so accurately and picturesque.

Not too long ago I saw a film where two parents raised this kid who was destined to be a scientist, and pressured him to become an artist instead in order to see how much influence nature has over nurture. The problem with this premise is that it works under the assumption that the two are automatically incompatible. That a proper scientist is therefore incapable of being creative. However, this is simply not the case. Some scientists struggle with this, others don't.

Is it more common/ likely for scientific types to have difficulty with comprehending impractical thinking, unorthodox solutions, and art? Where did this stereotype/cliché come from? Am I surrounded by genius mad scientists? :lol:

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 8:35 pm

^ I think there are more scientists who understand and appreciate art (in the broad sense) than there are artists who understand and appreciate science. But then I'm a mad scientist. :D

This is a famous essay on this very subject that you should look up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two_Cultures

There Are Four Lights!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Sep 2018, 3:23 am

You should have asked her what about Leonardo da Vinci. He was a great artist & scientist & he wouldn't be referred to as a mad scientist. He was just ahead of his time. He was mad in that Futureama ep but that's just a cartoon.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 12:13 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
"You're either good at art or science, never both unless you're a mad scientist".

Yet I find myself looking towards science now and then when attempting to improve my art. Especially anatomy for drawing character designs. When writing I often have to look up small technical details to make sure that a scene actually works.

Also, my family seems to consist of individuals that excel in both art and science. I know a good portion of friends that do as well.

To a certain extent, I understand where that teacher was coming from. When dealing with realistic styles, sometimes it can be tempting to include too much detail (often in an unflattering way) which can ruin the piece. However, having a technical knowledge of certain things can come in handy when creating art.

If my friend didn't know so much about the inner workings of old planes, he wouldn't be able to draw them so accurately and picturesque.

Not too long ago I saw a film where two parents raised this kid who was destined to be a scientist, and pressured him to become an artist instead in order to see how much influence nature has over nurture. The problem with this premise is that it works under the assumption that the two are automatically incompatible. That a proper scientist is therefore incapable of being creative. However, this is simply not the case. Some scientists struggle with this, others don't.

Is it more common/ likely for scientific types to have difficulty with comprehending impractical thinking, unorthodox solutions, and art? Where did this stereotype/cliché come from? Am I surrounded by genius mad scientists? :lol:

That quote should only worry you if you see being a mad scientist as a bad thing. :mrgreen:

(and yes, I am taking it as a compliment. muhahaha...)

lylamorris
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2018, 5:20 am

Well, I agree with your thoughts. Nowadays parents are more focusing on percentage and results instead to make your kid more creative and beautiful person. I understand that schools, college, courses are really important to your child can survive in this cruel world, but what if your kid is a beautiful person and always help and motivate others. It is also important. But there are many https://www.lylamorris.com/6-little-bit-of-techniques-to-stimulate-creativity-in-your-childs-life/ that you can read here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 1:26 pm

What the teacher said is a bunch of hooey.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 2:10 pm

Darmok wrote:
... This is a famous essay on this very subject that you should look up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two_Cultures
Excellent essay. One small portion stands out for me.
Quote:
"A good many times I have been present at gatherings of people who, by the standards of the traditional culture, are thought highly educated and who have with considerable gusto been expressing their incredulity at the illiteracy of scientists. Once or twice I have been provoked and have asked the company how many of them could describe the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The response was cold: it was also negative. Yet I was asking something which is the scientific equivalent of: "Have you read a work of Shakespeare's?" I now believe that if I had asked an even simpler question -- such as, "What do you mean by mass, or acceleration?", which is the scientific equivalent of saying, "Can you read?" -- not more than one in ten of the highly educated would have felt that I was speaking the same language. So the great edifice of modern physics goes up, and the majority of the cleverest people in the western world have about as much insight into it as their Neolithic ancestors would have had.
While just about any scientist can perform an analysis of Picasso's Blue Period or discuss the dynamic character interactions of a Verdi opera, very few artists (in my experience) seem to know (or even care) that all carbon-based food is "organic", thus making Perrier Sparkling Water, Himalayan Pink Salt, and forged-gold eating utensils something other than "organic" -- in spite of what the artistes may claim.

This is why it's so easy to slap a "Certified Organic" label on a bag of greasy potato crisps and charge ten times the going rate -- the Artsy-Fartsy crowd will take one look at the label and buy the crisps for their (not) superior quality.

It's easy to fool the ignorant.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 7:12 pm

You should have asked that teacher if she had ever heard of a certain guy named "Leonardo Da Vinci".

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 12:28 pm

I will admit that there are some forms of art (modern forms) that I do have a hard time perceiving as "art". Still do not understand how randomly splattering paint on a canvas can be called art. But, I can for the most part appreciate art for what it is. It can be an outlet to express creativity. For the record, there is art in the substructure of particles and light. So you could say it exists in everything.

As other have mentioned before, artists tend to not like science topics as it involves using the other side of their brain than what they are dominant in. I had to teach a Chemistry 101 course once, basically a real basic "Chemistry for Poets and Artists" class. The ones that struggled the most (artists) were those with a closed mind that did not want to learn the material. They did not want to have to think analytically if they could avoid it. The only time that they kinda warmed up to it was when I discussed order within crystal structures and showed examples of how atoms pack together.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 1:37 pm

I've always been a scientist and an artist.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 1:38 pm

I have an MSEE degree and I play the violin.