Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 4:45 pm

^ Oh yeah, I forgot about her.

The group of kids in Village of the damned (although not entirely human) is another example.

The Grady twins from The Shining, although ghosts and not psychic, also had the creep factor.

Charlie from Firestarter was another kid with ESP powers, but not creepy as far as I remember, only scary when she lost control.

Other classic movies to add to my list of faves:

Pet Sematary
Village of the damned

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:25 pm

Nobody's mentioned Hellraiser yet? 8O My favorite is the second one, called Hellbound (and that also happens to be what my current avatar is from). I'm just completely fascinated by the Cenobites - they've been a special interest of mine for several years now.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:50 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I haven't watched it that many times, so although familiar with the movie, I don't know the dialogue by heart...

Gosh no, me neither. I don't have the dialogue memorized, just the general outline of the story.

When I was little, I tried memorizing lines to movies, and would recite them as I watched them...twice I got caught -- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Back to the Future (II maybe?) -- and was told that that kind of language wasn't appropriate. So that habit got killed awfully quick =)

Skilpadde wrote:
I know of the novels, but I haven't read them.

I just finished the first one this year, it's pretty good. Some of the characters and their genders get swapped around, so it takes a little time to get used to. I'm excited to read Loop, because, as I said before, it never got a film =/ A friend spoiled a little bit of it for me, so I kind of have an idea of what's going on in Sadako 3D, but I'd really like to read it for myself.

Speaking of Sadako, I should see if Sadako 2 is in English yet...

Skilpadde wrote:
Sadako's Korean name is Park Eun-suh, by the way.

Well my guess would've been way off, I thought her name started with a T. It's been a while, and I think I only watched it two or three times. I remember liking some of the sets a lot.

Skilpadde wrote:
But Aidan seemed to have a connection to Samara that he surely couldn't have had unless he too had some psychic powers.

Oh. Honestly I don't remember, I think I've only seen the movie twice. Once in the theatre, and I think I might've watched it on DVD once (maybe as a refresher before watching Two?).
Saw the second one in the theatre too, and really wasn't impressed.

I thought the new one was kind of alright, though. Rings, I think it's called?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 7:55 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
^ Oh yeah, I forgot about her.

The group of kids in Village of the damned (although not entirely human) is another example.

The Grady twins from The Shining, although ghosts and not psychic, also had the creep factor.

Charlie from Firestarter was another kid with ESP powers, but not creepy as far as I remember, only scary when she lost control.

Other classic movies to add to my list of faves:

Pet Sematary
Village of the damned

Oh yeah Village of the Damned was good. Am I the only one who actually felt sympathetic towards the children? They were emotionless and killed without mercy but they only killed people when they felt threatened. They were just trying to protect their own species.

And I guess Carlie from Firestarter would be another example of a girl inspired by Carrie. Being a girl with dangerous powers that are contributed to emotional factors.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:52 am

I think what makes children with powers scary (especially destructive powers like telekinesis and pyrokinesis) is the fact that children are much weaker compared to adults but emotionally they are very unstable and unable to fully understand the consequences of their actions. If a child was given god-like powers and they were angered or had their feelings hurt they might destroy the people around them without giving a second thought.

A great example of this is the little boy Anthony from The Twilight Zone episode "It's A Good Life".

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 9:51 am

redrobin62 wrote:
^I've seen, and like, every movie listed above. So, to them, I'll add these foreign films:

Misbegotten
Cannibal
Melancholie der Engel
Audition
The Last House On the Left

I'll have to check those films out! :D Except for The Last House On The Left, I already watched that one. xD

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:01 am

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
^I've seen, and like, every movie listed above. So, to them, I'll add these foreign films:

Misbegotten
Cannibal
Melancholie der Engel
Audition

I'll have to check those films out! :D Except for The Last House On The Left, I already watched that one. xD

I actually liked the remake of Last House on the Left better than I did the original. It felt more realistic.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:14 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

Misbegotten
Cannibal
Melancholie der Engel
Audition

I actually liked the remake of Last House on the Left better than I did the original. It felt more realistic.

Huh, how interesting...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 1:19 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

Misbegotten
Cannibal
Melancholie der Engel
Audition

I concur.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:26 pm

I've only seen the remake of Village of the Damned, and I don't remember it very well. I'll have to rewatch it.

I also have a two-pack DVD that has the original Village + Children. It's probably still shrink wrapped. :roll:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 9:03 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I've only seen the remake of Village of the Damned, and I don't remember it very well. I'll have to rewatch it.

I also have a two-pack DVD that has the original Village + Children. It's probably still shrink wrapped. :roll:

I've only seen the remake too. I heard a lot of people think the original was better but personally I still liked the remake. If I ever get to watch the original I might understand why people liked it more.

I heard that the only real difference between the two movies is that in the original all the kids were bad but in the remake at least one of them wasn't and he was able to develop emotions of his own. Also in the original the leader of the children was a boy but in the remake the leader was a girl.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Oct 2018, 4:43 am

I mostly like the old classics like :arrow:
the original Night Of The Living Dead
the older Friday The 13th movies
the 1st 3 Child 's Play 1s,
the Pet Sematary 1s.
Death Bed The Bed That Eats is really good too. It was made in the 70s but wasn't released till this century so I don't know if it counts in this list or not.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 10:09 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:

Lol, yep, it was shrink-wrapped. Watched all three movies last week!

"Children" was not very good =) Had some neat concepts, but on the whole, not that great. Then again, I've never been a fan of sequels that retcon important elements from the previous films.

TW1ZTY wrote:
I've only seen the remake too. I heard a lot of people think the original was better but personally I still liked the remake. If I ever get to watch the original I might understand why people liked it more.

Eh, I don't know, they're both pretty good. I kind of like the "stare" special effect in the original better, it's really creepy looking. The remake uses a bit of early CGI which didn't date very well (lots of lens flares!), but other than that it was good.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 1:26 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:

Lol, yep, it was shrink-wrapped. Watched all three movies last week!

"Children" was not very good =) Had some neat concepts, but on the whole, not that great. Then again, I've never been a fan of sequels that retcon important elements from the previous films.

TW1ZTY wrote:

Eh, I don't know, they're both pretty good. I kind of like the "stare" special effect in the original better, it's really creepy looking. The remake uses a bit of early CGI which didn't date very well (lots of lens flares!), but other than that it was good.

I know in the remake I liked the concept of one of the children actually being able to learn emotions and feel empathy for others.

In the original I think that all the children were bad.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 5:19 pm

I don't think you can really call them "bad"; most of what they did was out of self-defense, to protect themselves from those who wanted to cause them harm for being "different" and difficult to understand.

But yeah, the original film didn't have a "learning to feel emotions" child. I don't know if that was something they invented for the remake, or if it was taken from the book.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2018, 6:11 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I don't think you can really call them "bad"; most of what they did was out of self-defense, to protect themselves from those who wanted to cause them harm for being "different" and difficult to understand.

But yeah, the original film didn't have a "learning to feel emotions" child. I don't know if that was something they invented for the remake, or if it was taken from the book.

Yeah you're right they only acted in self defense but the things they did were very brutal and extreme which is what made them so dangerous to the world.

They hurt/killed people who didn't even mean to hurt them like the eyedoctor who accidently put the wrong drops in the one girl's eye and the one girl's mother who accidently fed her soup that was too hot.