I Think My Autism Diagnosis Was Covered Up

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 2:38 am

I have recently been looking up my school notes and also my medical notes especially when it comes to my diagnosis.

According to my medical notes I was diagnosed with Asperger at aged 4 in 1990 and that it was a top-priority.

According to my school record I was diagnosed with Asperger in 1998 when I was put into an Autistic Special Needs unit.

According to my mother she would have to face a board of pedatricians and psychologists who used to say that I would amount to nothing and she would ask what was wrong with me. They would either be silent or change subject very quickly.

Then in 1997 I started getting visits from psychologist at school to prepare me to go into the Autistic unit. They even took me through the diagnosis process.

I have only discovered about my diagnosis being 1990 recently and I think there has been a cover-up and think it needs to be investigated. I am originally from Jersey Channel Islands and that Island has a reputation when it comes to cover-ups. I really want to know the truth.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 3:16 am

Get a decent lawyer or investigative reporter.

They were pretty sloppy. They did not destroy your school or medical records so there is probably other things that were not destroyed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

qwerwe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2018, 6:07 am

Once ten years ago my mom told me they had considered put me in special ed in my six years. I asked her why and she told me because of my sight. But in my five years I've seen as well as now. I asked her who proposed it and she told me she don't remember.

At the end of the first grade I was with a psychologist. No one explained it to me before, nor did I know the outcome. I asked my mom what they had told her, but she didn't tell me. She recently mentioned the psychologist had told her that I should cope with primary school, but she shouldn't force me to study high school.

In the fifth grade we did some tests. Speed was important in these tests - for a certain time write as much as possible in a row. Results the teacher said our parents and my mom told me again nothing. I asked her. After a recent psychological examination I know speed tests I have below average. So the result probably was not good and my mom didn't want to tell me and she lied to me. But she scolded me when I didn't tell her when I had got a bad mark at school...

I would also like to know the truth. I just do not believe it can be found after 25 years what the psychologist said to my mother. In my medical records is nothing about it.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 3:28 pm

I was misdiagnosed as hyperactive, the label of the day in the 1970s. I think Asperger's is a better fit for me.