Haters can hate all they want

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 12:51 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Staying friends with an ex is very common. Why would people have a problem with it?

Context is located in a locked thread he started.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 6:35 pm

Someone mentioned going back to an ex. My position is, in a nutshell, "ain't gonna happen, BUD."

Something you need to understand about being "just friends" with an ex--Probably most of the time "let's be friends" is just a courtesy. It's a polite way of saying "g'bye! And don't let the door hit your @$$ on the way out," or "Don't go away mad."

It's also a problem because the person getting dumped often can't let go. I was "just friends" with my ex fiancée. It was really easy to just "hang out" and study. And then clothes would start coming off.

I consider myself still friends with two of my exes--one of whom my wife HATES, and the other a girl I dated while in grad school. But "friends" is relative, because there are a thousand miles between either one of those and me. I dunno if you can consider yourself friends with someone you almost never hear from. But I also believe that it's a bad idea to maintain relationships with anyone else of the opposite sex while in a committed relationship. Temptation is just too easy a trap. For the most part, "just friends" doesn't really work. Maybe you're the exception, but I think it's really just a nice phrase that means "get lost, creep."