I want to drop out of an Ivy League

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

mickeytm28
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2018, 4:54 pm

I'm attending a """prestigious""" university (I use the quotations because I think the idea that Ivy Leagues are the "best schools"/"end all be all" is ridiculous) and started over a month ago. Since then, my (already poor) mental health has gone severely downhill and it has been effecting my performance in school (not handing work in on time, over slept a few times, etc.) to put it briefly. I do have psychiatrists and psychologists who I work with. I know it has been every long but there's nothing keeping me here: everything is scary, hard, and unfamiliar, I am not enjoying myself and I have no friends even though I have been trying so hard for these things to not happen.
Fall break starts on Friday (and ends on October 9th) so I get to go home for a little bit. But, when I go home, I don't want to leave. I don't know if this meaning transferring to another school or earning my genealogy certificate online or taking a leave of absence but I know I just can't stay at this school.
Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thank you for reading.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 6:34 pm

If you were to do a confidential survey of your classmates, I bet a large percentage would be feeling exactly the same way you do. "What am I doing here? I don't belong here. I don't fit in."

This is quite common at top schools in particular because everyone they admit is used to being successful in high school, and now they are at a place where most of them are average (because everyone around them is smart too).

I'd advise you to stick with it. Many freshmen overload themselves, trying to do and join too many things, so back off a bit on your schedule, find one good social group to belong to (not five), and consider making the library your main hangout. Sit in the main reference area for a couple of weeks and pretty soon you'll be recognizing people, they'll recognize you, and you'll have some new academic friends and supporters.

There Are Four Lights!

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 8:50 pm

Save your $$$. You can get plenty of FREE diplomas/certificates from FREE on-line courses even from MIT.

mickeytm28 wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thank you for reading.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 9:33 pm

I had a great time as an Ivy League undergraduate.

I think I was a club president, but I'm not really sure after all these decades. But, I was one of the few who enjoyed being the student activities representative for the club... and my fellow students knew that...

I was in a freshman dorm for all four years. I'd do it again as that is the best opportunity to learn social skills.

entropical
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2018, 3:28 pm

I also attend a "prestigious" university -- freshman year was rough! College is hard to adjust to even if you don't experience the various challenges that come with neurodiversity.
As for dropping out - is the career you want to follow dependent on a degree? What made you want to go to college in the first place/why do you value education? Thinking about this might help you decide. For me, although college is really hard, I really value what I'm studying, so I've stayed in school.
Some things that might help w/ mental health are creating a routine for yourself and sticking to it - taking note of the issues that tend to come up for you and seeing if you can mitigate them preemptively. Self-care is of key importance: making time to do things you enjoy, exercise, eating healthy, setting personal goals, etc. Sometimes, you might not be able to keep up with every reading or assignment, and that's okay.
As for making friends - being in a space/group where you see the same people regularly is generally where friends are found. Study in common spaces in your dorm/library, go to clubs/events you have an interest in.

tldr: college is hard but often worth it! you can do it!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:18 pm

Plenty of Bachelor degree holders are unemployed or underemployed

Retail, restaurant, sales

Especially in social sciences and humanities

College ain't all it's cracked out to be

A different School might be a better or worse fit

Taking time off could give you perspective. Or it could make you not want to go back.

College is not for everyone

College is worth some effort, but it is not a mystery, magic , or panacea

mickeytm28
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Dec 2018, 4:19 pm

Thank you all so very much for your helpful responses. I made the decision to leave a little while ago and I am in the process of transferring. I am hoping round 2 goes much better! Thanks again for your help.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 6:49 pm

Best of luck!

mickeytm28
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Dec 2018, 7:03 pm

BTDT wrote:
Best of luck!

Thank you! :D