Did any of your teachers/profs "have it in for you"?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 8:22 pm

I mean, had a grudge, vindictive, deliberately gave you poor grades when you *knew* the content & effort warranted otherwise, etc.? While I believe the majority of teachers & professors aren't like this, I know that teachers/profs are fallible too, giving higher grades to "dumb jocks" in the U.S to keep the athletics funding rolling in, and by the opposite token giving lower grades to unpopular kids.

I definitely had one high school English teacher "have it in for me", this was back in the early '90s before I knew or anyone knew that my HFA/ASD condition had a name...

Somehow, I don't think such teachers would be more sympathetic if you told them - they'd probably make some dismissive remark like "well it's time to take responsibility for your life, you can't say you have this condition forever"
:roll:
Which is really hyperbole or deflection.

Now I know that in Japan, there's a famous saying "the nail that stands up is quickly hammered down", and from what I read further on that, it means that someone who's a misfit will have their life prospects purposefully sabotaged by others in control like teachers especially. So it's a bit unsettling to think that nail-hammer mentality exists to some degree in the Western World, but I do believe it does. It comes down to institutional bias and the stigma of mental health aberrations, that the authorities of institutions opine that they're not getting paid enough to deal with the likes of you and that they don't want your type to get into any post of significance where you'll be a liability to others. 8O
The same reason that bullying is covertly tolerated by such teachers (not applicable for university profs, granted).

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 8:37 pm

Yes, from third grade until I graduated high school virtually all of them. I reported sexual abuse of an administrator, I was branded and ostracized from then on out. Once I moved onto college I had no problems, different system, no stigma, I was one of the best students there and was rewarded appropriately for it. Lesson: don't trust people in positions of power whether it come from professional position, social status, likability, etc, the only reason that person pursued power was to abuse it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 9:04 pm

The teacher who told me that I had "asked for it" every time I came back in from recess all bruised and bloody from getting held down and beat up by a gang of bullies, and who then refused to let me spend recess in the classroom, the library, or the principal's office so that I would not get beaten up.

The teacher who would purposely stand me up in front of the class and shame me because she thought that my use of "high-school words" meant that someone else had written my essays and book reports, and who then also declared that "The Hobbit" was too advanced for a person my age to understand.

The teacher who shouted and screamed at me for falling asleep in class because my parents kept me awake all night with one of their arguments, and who then complained to my parents that I was "Inattentive" and "Lacking in Initiative" for not being able to pay attention in class.

The teacher who declared that someone else must have drawn my art homework for me, and who then either gave away my art supplies or let the other kids steal them when I was home sick for a week.

The teacher who sent me to the principal's office every time someone vandalized the school, because she had had my older brother for a student, and he had once accidentally broken a mirror in the boy's lavatory.

The teacher who scolded me in front of the class for "hanging around" a liquor store after she had seen me buy a newspaper there for my father on a Saturday (what was she doing in a liquor store, anyway?).

These were all different teachers, so it's hard to pick just one. Those who are still alive are in their 90s.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 10:02 pm

To Fnord: wow, that's like institutional bias on steroids!! !

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 10:04 pm

Jayo wrote:
To Fnord: wow, that's like institutional bias on steroids!!
An apt description of the American public school system in the 1960s.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

huimaa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2018, 3:02 am

Yeah, well my PE teacher kind of hated my classes girls because one other girl ratted us out for smoking after PE. Never got good grades in PE after that, also I was kind of metalhead and this teacher was somewhat religious/conservative and I think she hated me because of that too... and I was always very good in sports.

Few other teachers have verbally bullied me (and others too) for strange behavior or such. Nothing too horrible.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 10:48 am

GACH!!

Don’t even mention PE!

The very worst kinds of torture are inflicted on the field, in the gym, and especially in the locker room!

(MustthinkhappythoughtsMustthinkhappythoughtsMustthinkhappythoughtsMustthinkhappythoughtsMustthinkhappythoughtsMustthinkhappythoughtsMustthinkhappythoughts...)

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 12:27 pm

Yeah I'm really good at English and have been since they introduced the Literacy Hour which meant actually teaching us about stories and how to write instead of how to do handwriting and copy answers into comprehension books that no kid would voluntarily read. I got a high SAT test score, level 8 at age 14.

I moved house and my teacher ignored all that, read autistic and put me into the dumb class where I got bullied.

I felt sorry for the genuinely special needs kids in that class cos most of them were just bone idle and liked to bully people or get into fights or say sexually inappropriate things.

Finally I got moved up. Whenever I did anything which was A* quality, she treated me really nicely. She called us her high flyers. Whenever I did anything which was C quality like my spoken assignments, she treated me badly and ignored me or told me off.

She just liked kids who were clever and didn't have special needs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 1:27 pm

Jayo wrote:
Did any of your teachers/profs "have it in for you"?
Yes, all of them. Especially those who had taught my brothers before me.

But that was then, and most of those teachers are no2w either dead or in their dotages.

Sucks to be them.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 2:49 pm

I used to tell people I was my auntie's niece rather than telling them I was my mum's daughter. They loved my auntie and hated mum.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 5:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jayo wrote:
To Fnord: wow, that's like institutional bias on steroids!!
An apt description of the American public school system in the 1960s.

I wish I could tell you the teachers got better.....but Id probably be lying. There's some seriously terrible teachers these days! (My gov teacher used to show us his mug shot lol)
I had a ton of teachers who hated me in elementary and middle school. Unfortunately, they all loved my older brothers and I could never measure up. Some I think-especially when I was really young-suspected me of being....different and they couldnt stand me.
I could handle most of it, but honestly the most annoying one, was simply the teacher who was not only sexist, but racist too and hated me on the fact that I was an Asian female. I was his personal punching bag all year.
By high school I tried my best to be invisible, and although I didnt have any teachers who liked me, I also didnt have any that hated me so that was good.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 10:49 am

Incredible. That is very unprofessional behavior by the teacher. They must have some kind of mental problem.

Teachers are much older, independent adults with career, family and responsibilities in well respected position.

And they want to pick on much younger underage person? It’s a bully. The powerful preying on the powerless.

It’s pathetic. Their behavior should be documented secretly and exposed to the school authorities and parents.

They are emotionally like a child, not an adult. The true teacher would be noble, compassionate, and altruistic.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 8:45 pm

French teacher acted in a way, that seemed to me, like she hated me

But I can't prove it

And she did not do anything illegal

The schoolteachers do not have to be perfect, or treat all students the same.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2019, 2:24 pm

I don’t know what one does about this in grade school. I wish I did because my son is starting school this year.

However, in college I can say that someone like me, with sharp social skills, can use this weakness in professors to game the system. I would scope out the professors ahead of time and avoid the ones I knew would be irritated by me (when possible). If I couldn’t find anything out about the person beforehand, I would stay quiet during the first few classes, find out what kind of student they were looking for, and then deliver that.

I usually had a 95-100. Sometimes I got 110 in a class if there was a curve with extra credit. This really was from social cheating. Just paying attention to what was scored, what the teacher cared about, etc, and then doing that.

I had no respect for teachers like that who I was gaming. I always ended up learning from the out of class material and not from the class.

I actually learned from the few professors who did not provide their own opinions and gave no hint of the “correct” answers before they graded. Those were always old professors. That kind would sometimes also give you a good grade and flat out tell you they disagreed with you at the same time.

Lizbeth Ann
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2019, 2:40 pm

TUF wrote:
Yeah I'm really good at English and have been since they introduced the Literacy Hour which meant actually teaching us about stories and how to write instead of how to do handwriting and copy answers into comprehension books that no kid would voluntarily read. I got a high SAT test score, level 8 at age 14.

I moved house and my teacher ignored all that, read autistic and put me into the dumb class where I got bullied.

I felt sorry for the genuinely special needs kids in that class cos most of them were just bone idle and liked to bully people or get into fights or say sexually inappropriate things.

Finally I got moved up. Whenever I did anything which was A* quality, she treated me really nicely. She called us her high flyers. Whenever I did anything which was C quality like my spoken assignments, she treated me badly and ignored me or told me off.

She just liked kids who were clever and didn't have special needs.

TUF that’s stinks that was the story of my life. I wasnt placed in “special ed “I don’t know what you mean by dumb class. Although I was place one level above special ed which is where the misfits went (for example in my science class there were students who would throw staples in to the fish bowl and named the fish staples the poor thing eventually died.)
Back to my point that year I was diagnosed with some disability and then I was moved into college level classes. However, it was tough and I knew nothing about my autism. I had this biology teacher ask me why I was attending her class if I had a disability. Apparently you can’t have a disability and be smart.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 9:24 pm

During my middle school years, two teachers had a huge grudge not only against me, but also against other misfits. One teacher was from Russia (she was my school's foreign language teacher) and the other was my school's math teacher who enjoyed being a d-bag.