Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 4:04 pm

Just curious,

What's the logic of having people driving on the left side of the road?
There has to be something behind it right? Since like any other country (correct me if I'm wrong) have their cars' steering wheel on the left side, exporting cars to Britain must be more expensive... (that is, car makers have to make a different version just to compete in a smaller market, and that dedicated production costs extra)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 4:14 pm

it goes back to days of weaponry, and jousting, and most people being right-handed.

So, tradition.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 4:21 pm

Btw, Australians drive on the left too.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 4:39 pm

Raleigh wrote:
it goes back to days of weaponry, and jousting, and most people being right-handed.

So, tradition.

Well, I think "most people are right handed" would be an argument against that, because in most states you drive on the right lane and only sometimes have to deviate leftwards... that just might be an easier orientation for right handed people. Since Driving everywhere basically gives an edge to the right side it's more natural to drive on the lane of the hand which you hold your pencil with.

But yeah, I guess old habits die hard. If I was British I'd never get used to driving anywhere else :P

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2018, 9:09 pm

I think whatever system you learn with and drive everyday is likely to feel perfectly natural. I'm right handed. I drive on the left. It feels perfectly natural. Driving in mainland Europe felt a bit odd to start with but I soon adjusted and once back home driving on the left felt entirely natural again. Although a majority of the world's population drive on the right, Britain and Ireland are far from unique in driving on the left.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 10:56 pm

This article goes to great lengths to explain why.
Why do some countries drive on the left and others on the right?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 11:13 pm

Steering wheel on the right side of the car makes sense to me. In the U.S., both drivers are closest to the centerline when passing each other. If they each hit the the left front of each other when passing, both drivers are in the most peril of being injured I would think.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 11:17 pm

jimmy m wrote:
This article goes to great lengths to explain why.
Why do some countries drive on the left and others on the right?

Thanks.
That confirms what I meant about weapons and right-handedness - I dont think I explained it well.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 6:36 am

I haven't driven outside the UK as I think I would find it all too confusing and just wouldn't cope. My wife loves driving and is very competent so is happy to drive when we go to France or Spain. Reversing all the directions etc would be too much and would stop me thinking clearly.