[POLL] What happens when "Boys Will Be Boys"?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What happens when "Boys Will Be Boys"?
Harmless: Fidgeting, Horseplay, Joking Around... 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
Harmful: Bullying, Fighting, Insulting... 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
Dangerous: Grabbing, Groping, Raping... 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Deadly: Beating, Shooting, Stabbing... 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Other: ________________ (please explain). 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 37

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 7:55 pm

As the subject line says: What happens when "Boys Will Be Boys"?

Some say that this phrase is used to explain a boys natural tendency to be adventurous, hyper-active, and to engage in risky activities that have the potential to cause harm to themselves or others.

Others may claim that it is used to express the opinion that mischievous or childish behavior is typical of boys or young men and should not be a cause for surprise when it occurs.

Still others may claim that the phrase is merely a lame excuse for grabbing, groping, and raping women.

Even the concept of the so-called "Toxic Male" has been labelled as "Boys Will Be Boys".

What do you think?

(PLEASE don't turn this into a man-bashing or women-bashing thread, or I will ask the mods to shut it down.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:36 pm

I would hope it would be the first choice.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:38 pm

History would suggest all of the above; only to be clarified by anecdotal records.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:39 pm

Other: it means different things based on how it is used.

For example guys being very excited about video games and cars could be described as “boys being boys” which is harmless.

Then locker room and being overly focused on sex while looking down on women could also be called “boys being boys” and that would be harmful.

It really depends on the context.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:53 pm

i would hope that "boys will be boys" applies only to risk-seeking, hyperactive adventurous behavior that does not seek to willingly bring danger upon anyone else who doesn't want it. when it does, there's a problem.

it's not a justification for objectification or sexual harassment. sh***y behavior is sh***y behavior no matter who it comes from. i really wish this didn't need to be explained.

i also have problems with the phrase and associated mentality being used to justify excessive anger in situations where an equivalent display by a woman would tarnish her credibility and label
her as "unstable" or "psycho", implying that males are entitled to a wider range of outward displays of emotion while still maintaining their credibility, compared to women.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:40 pm

I think it's sexist because it implies that girls can't get away with certain behaviors but boys can. It wasn't that long ago that if a girl was even remotely active or adventuresome and didn't sit around all day hugging her doll while wearing a frilly dress she was not a "proper lady" and parents would wonder what they did wrong. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 10:43 pm

Trust me.....throughout history, there have always been strong, adventurous, brave women. Mothers couldn’t be shrinking violets in the old days.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 10:55 pm

Does it include transgender boys?

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 11:25 pm

I see it as a just another fallacy, "X will be X" instantiated against "boys." It's a mental off-switch the same as some uses of "it is the way it is." It can be used to excuse just about anything if its wielder tries hard enough.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 12:29 am

When literally boys will be boys all of the above will happen.

IRL growing up that expression was used to explain and as a reason not to punish bullying behavoirs that one would get arrested for as an adult.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 1:24 am

Really It's more like alpha males will be alpha males.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 8:50 pm

...All four listed CAN happen. :arrow:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 8:51 pm

[quote="ASS-P"]...All four listed CAN happen.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 8:55 pm

...All four listed CAN happen.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 8:58 am

To me, "Boys will be boys" when they engage in relatively harmless activities like fidgeting, horseplay, joking around, and generally being annoying little pests ... and by "boys", I mean male children less than 10 years old.

Back then, we would get in trouble for stupid stuff like making too much noise, cutting through the neighbors' yards, throwing water balloons, and forgetting to turn in overdue library books.

Besides, with three sisters, any word that got back to them that I was being mean to another girl meant that I could wake up in the middle of the night with my hand in a bowl of warm water... :oops:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 9:13 pm

It just depends. Depends on what they are doing are they together just being friends or are they breaking computers in computer class it just depends on what they are doing.