What US Territory Could Become The 51st State?

Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What US Territory Could Become The 51st State?
Puerto Rico 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
Guam 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
US Virgin Islands 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
American Samoa 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Northern Mariana Islands 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 6:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I demand statehood for Jarvis Island!

But only after I move there and become its one and only resident! Lol!

Then I can be its governor, US Rep, and senator, and elector in the electorial college.

Jarvis island is an uninhabited coral atoll island in the south pacific of less than two square miles now run by the US game and fisheries adm.. Fun fact: it, and American Samoa are the only two U.S. territories in the Southern Hemisphere (ie the only two pieces of real estate we have that are south of the equator).

Haha good idea! And I think I want to be the first person to turn Antarctica into an actual country. :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 7:06 pm

Anyone else remember how Newt Gingrich had talked about establishing a moon colony that might become the 51st state? He had been the Republican front runner against Obama till he had spouted that gem of lunacy.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 7:08 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Anyone else remember how Newt Gingrich had talked about establishing a moon colony that might become the 51st state? He had been the Republican front runner against Obama till he had spouted that gem of lunacy.

I don't know if this true or not but didn't Trump also say something about the U.S. having a military force stationed in space? :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 7:12 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I don't know if this true or not but didn't Trump also say something about the U.S. having a military force stationed in space? :lol:

Most certainly that's true. It's his Space Force scheme. The main difference between Trump's lunacy and Gingrich's is that Trump's fan club are all for it.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 7:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Most certainly that's true. It's his Space Force scheme. The main difference between Trump's lunacy and Gingrich's is that Trump's fan club are all for it.

Yup that sounds like them. I am convinced that his supporters really are like a cult. :|

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 7:56 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Yup that sounds like them. I am convinced that his supporters really are like a cult. :|

Again, you are correct. There was one of them here on WP before Trump's election who accused me of being jealous of his wealth. I pointed out that he was hardly a self made man. Also, while Trump has best selling books out, he isn't a real writer as he had a ghost writer do the work, while I actually had written my own book.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 8:29 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Again, you are correct. There was one of them here on WP before Trump's election who accused me of being jealous of his wealth. I pointed out that he was hardly a self made man. Also, while Trump has best selling books out, he isn't a real writer as he had a ghost writer do the work, while I actually had written my own book.

Yeah from what I understand most of Trump's wealth he already inherited from his family and he even ran some of his own companies into bankruptcy. He's really not the expert business man everybody thinks he is.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 11:22 pm

We'll never have a 51st state, USA is too lazy and stubborn to have to add an extra star to every... single... flag.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 1:22 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
We'll never have a 51st state, USA is too lazy and stubborn to have to add an extra star to every... single... flag.

Plus, all the territories that might someday be states are full of brown people, which is why the right will oppose it.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 5:06 am

I wonder what would happen if all 50 states disbanded? I guess it would be like what happened to the Soviet Union. Some states would still manage to do OK on their own and some would be completely ruined.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 5:48 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
I wonder what would happen if all 50 states disbanded? I guess it would be like what happened to the Soviet Union. Some states would still manage to do OK on their own and some would be completely ruined.

The breakup of the Soviet Union was analogous to the breakup of the British, and French, colonial empires after the second world war. Not really analogous to US states seceding from the Union.

The Russian Republic (the ruling part that lies west of the Ural Mountians in Europe: aka "Russia Proper") can be likened to England. The part of the Russian Republic that lies east of the Urals in Asia( aka "Siberia") can be likened to Australia (a storehouse for raw materials and a convenient dumping ground for convicts).

The Ukraine and Belarus can be likened to Ireland, and Scotland.

The Baltic states don't have a clear analog in the old British Empire.

The former Soviet Republics of the Caucasus and Central Asia (Azerbijan, Armenia, Georgia, Kazahkistan, Uzbekistan, etc) can be likened to Britain's African and Asian former colonies (Kenya, India, etc).

So decolonization of the USSR was an expected thing. Not sci fi like each American state breaking away from Washington.

But if that sci fi scenario were to happen then, yes for most US states it would be a disaster.

California would do fine, and would probably become world power unto itself.

But landlocked states like Nebraska would have no access to the sea except through hundreds of miles of what would then be foreign countries. Iowans wouldn't be able to get their soybeans to their market in China without river barges and trains going through a half of a dozen states-now foreign countries just to get to the sea port. And the same in reverse with imported goods from China. And each state would have to have its own defense department. And would have to guard its borders from its neighbors (the neighboring states now foreign countries). It would take a lot of adjustment to say the least.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 7:50 am

naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

The breakup of the Soviet Union was analogous to the breakup of the British, and French, colonial empires after the second world war. Not really analogous to US states seceding from the Union.

The Russian Republic (the ruling part that lies west of the Ural Mountians in Europe: aka "Russia Proper") can be likened to England. The part of the Russian Republic that lies east of the Urals in Asia( aka "Siberia") can be likened to Australia (a storehouse for raw materials and a convenient dumping ground for convicts).

The former Soviet Republics of the Caucasus and Central Asia (Azerbijan, Armenia, Georgia, Kazahkistan, Uzbekistan, etc) can be likened to Britain's African and Asian former colonies (Kenya, India, etc).

So decolonization of the USSR was an expected thing. Not sci fi like each American state breaking away from Washington.

But if that sci fi scenario were to happen then, yes for most US states it would be a disaster.

But landlocked states like Nebraska would have no access to the sea except through hundreds of miles of what would then be foreign countries. Iowans wouldn't be able to get their soybeans to their market in China without river barges and trains going through a half of a dozen states-now foreign countries just to get to the sea port. And the same in reverse with imported goods from China. And each state would have to have its own defense department. And would have to guard its borders from its neighbors (the neighboring states now foreign countries). It would take a lot of adjustment to say the least.

Yeah it would take a lot of adjusting to get used to, but I like to think that the states-turned-countries wouldn't be attacking each other in wars all the time. I mean Americans have traveled, settled, and intermarried between the states for so many years they would probably all still think of each other as allies even after breaking up and maybe they would still learn to compromise despite no longer being united.

It's not like any of these states hold any real grudges against each other. Not even the Northern and Southern states.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 12:33 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

NASA has plans to colonize the moon and Mars, Marx colonization is moving forward, will people on mars have rights? Or will it become its own nation eventually like the sci-fi snow.

The spaceforce is t stationed in space. It just means all the military who controls satellites and military space assets will be its own branch. In post ww2 they made the airforce and people were super against it then. Yet it’s still her and could you imagine the whole airforce being part of the army today? Well back then it was normal and people didn’t see why it needed to be it’s own branch. Air power had become the important military power back then, today it’s all satilights and software, makes sense those become its own branch like the airforce did back then. Trump calls it soaceforce and we might agree that’s a stupid name, but the reality of the various satellites and tech parts of the military becoming one branch with as single goal is a good ideal. Other nations habe such branches of the military, China is hugely funding such branches to attack us digitally, we need to counter that and having all parts unified under one branch is way to go, our branches don’t work together well as it’s competition to them, so we have bunch of digital assets who don’t work or communicate well together that under the spaceforce will all be one branch improving preformance and allowing specific funding. Cyber war is the future of wars.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 12:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Should the airforce be merged back into the army?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 12:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

California wouldn’t be fine, if they were they wouldn’t be so worried about having federal aid cut off. You just have leftist bias. And they get their water from other states and north California(which would split off in a secon along with all the other conservative areas) I support welfare but welfare relies on the federal funds in both California,Washington and Oregon.
If the USA fell States as we know it and their borders would cease to exist, each state would be split by republicans vs democrat areas and any side trying to keep the states current shape would need to fight civil wars to do so.its likely new nations would for, and it’s be a very strange looking map.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 1:37 pm

sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Should the airforce be merged back into the army?

Isn't it at the National Guard level?