Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 11:51 pm

IDK and I don't even know how I look, I mean sure I know how I look...I recognize myself in the mirror. But I don't know if I look attractive or not, I suppose my boyfriend thinks I do and people in my family sometimes tell me I am good looking. But I guess I am not even all that sure what that even is...like I see women my age who look more like what people expect an almost 30 year old woman to look like and I don't look like that. Not sure it means I am un-attractive or not per say but I do tend to feel out of place with women my own age. Like if anything I look younger so that has some attractive qualities I suppose but I don't think I have a good side profile of my face, like my chin is not very defined and my cheeks look weird from the side in my opinion. But then of course some family see side profile pictures of me and say it looks good, but I am sitting there thinking, uhh that doesn't look good.

I've also had people tell me I am ugly, one boy at school told me I had a gorilla face and I have had people confuse me for being male(though only when I have my hair shorter). So I have gotten mixed opinions of how I look to other people.

huimaa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2018, 3:15 am

^ I feel the same.
I've been mistaken to be a boy, even with longer hair. I like looking quite androgynous though, so maybe my clothing throws people off sometimes. I look young for my age too (25). EDS contributes to young looking skin. Sometimes my youthful and 'well' looking appearance is not nice, because people don't believe how dreadfully tired I am because I don't look like it (maybe my expression is tired but not otherwise.) I've been told that I look cute, and weird, and beautiful and ugly, all of it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 4:06 am

Misery wrote:
Wait, I'm curious: What does "eyes not synchronized" mean?

I've gotten a similar comment before (but without any explanation) and I've heard such a phrase also used for others on the spectrum, but yeah, I have no bloody clue what it means.

It's not something I'd personally be able to spot in others (since I dont really do eye contact) but... yeah, I've heard of it before.

It means the eyes are in two different positions instead of being aligned. I notice it photos and videos. I think maybe it's because autistic people tend to take in everything all around them, which is probably what leads to sensory overload.

Certain animals do this also. The chameleon is probably the most dramatic example:

https://youtu.be/KaNzChBiOLM

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2018, 6:21 am

Ok ladies post pics of yourselves and I'll give you a brutally honest, straightforward opinion... no lies, no butterflies, no smoke... Let's see it.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 6:30 am

I look much younger than my age. People have told me that I look nice, but I don't think so.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2018, 6:44 am

I've never been told I look off in any kind of way. Then again I also put a lot of daily effort into my physical appearance which could help with that, I look much younger than I am though but that's about it. People tell me i'm pretty and I don't have any problem finding dates but without any makeup or anything I think i'm quite average. :lol:

I don't think my friends with aspergers have anything "off" about their appearance either but they're all mildly on the spectrum like me and the aspie men I know are very into exercise and stay active and healthy which can improve how you look I guess. I know what you mean though as i've seen the look you're talking about on people less mildly on the spectrum but i've yet to see it on someone high functioning.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 6:53 am

Unfortunately I've been told that I look quite handsome and couldn't be any more normal-looking so when I say to people I'm Autistic they have an even harder time believing me and accepting me as such. Which is beyond frustrating. It's gotten to the point where I need to show them the actual diagnostic report from my psychologist in order to be taken seriously.

I have found no gain whatsoever with this handsome demeanor other than the fact that people accept me as normal in a first impression basis only and don't understand that I have several neurological disabilities. For someone who is classified as a-sexual, being handsome couldn't be any more of a useless trait. Of course, once they listen to me speak, then their minds start to run with questions like, What is this guy's problem?, Why is he so unusual?, Why does he talk endlessly about a single topic? etc etc.

Prejudice still runs deep in NTs and in order for people to accept you as mentally disabled, apparently, NTs think you have to look horribly disfigured as well.

:evil:

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 8:48 am

My eyes have a slightly vacant look and one of them gets a little bit lazy when I'm tired. I looked quite androgynous as a teen.

RESleight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2018, 9:29 am

superaliengirl wrote:
I don't think my friends with aspergers have anything "off" about their appearance either but they're all mildly on the spectrum like me and the aspie men I know are very into exercise and stay active and healthy which can improve how you look I guess. I know what you mean though as i've seen the look you're talking about on people less mildly on the spectrum but i've yet to see it on someone high functioning.

xatrix26 wrote:
Unfortunately I've been told that I look quite handsome and couldn't be any more normal-looking so when I say to people I'm Autistic they have an even harder time believing me and accepting me as such. Which is beyond frustrating. It's gotten to the point where I need to show them the actual diagnostic report from my psychologist in order to be taken seriously.

I'm high functioning as well and have the youthful Elven look about me, too. I can in a manner relate to what is mentioned here. I exercise quite a bit and like to stay in shape, but I believe it's mostly genetic for me. I've always looked really young, as does the rest of my immediate family.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 9:36 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
Also I don't know about you guys but I also have a huge permanent callous on my finger from biting myself whenever I get too anxious or stressed out. I knew another boy with autism who had the same things on his hands. Do any of you guys have that too?

I hope not. It's the behaviours of a toddler who doesn't even dares to whine because someone would hurt him even more again then. It looks strange if an adult shows such behaviour. It makes people stare on you and not accept you as being normal even if you are otherwise. You are an adult now and have to be strong. You have to be it in a way that nobody ever dares to hurt you. Stop this behaviour and get over your fears and become a man. :mrgreen:
And add something to this thread viewtopic.php?t=368901 afterwards.

VictoriaGoose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2018, 9:43 am

I look young but have 'aged' in recent years, probably due to stress. I've never had anybody be offensive to me about how I look but I did lose two jobs because people claimed I was looking at them weirdly, which was just me and my autism being our usual selves :oops: I'm only twenty one but I look more mid twenties now and I have a awful feeling my hair is going to start turning grey. I don't particularly like my appearence but I try not to pay it too much attention or thought.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 9:51 am

I wish I looked as good as many people here do.....

But I like to think I "make up for it" in other ways.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 10:08 am

I think as long as someone has a normal face, they have nothing to complain about. I know of those with facial birth defects who would be perfectly happy to have the normal face of those who think they're not attractive enough.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 10:58 am

superaliengirl wrote:
People tell me i'm pretty and I don't have any problem finding dates but without any makeup or anything I think i'm quite average. :lol:

I think there isn't such thing as an average looking woman. If you think there is find me picture in the internet please. :twisted:
But more intelligent women know usually better to how to dress and to style and among us AS people are some of the most intelligent people on this planet. :wink:

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 7:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
IDK and I don't even know how I look, I mean sure I know how I look...I recognize myself in the mirror. But I don't know if I look attractive or not, I suppose my boyfriend thinks I do and people in my family sometimes tell me I am good looking. But I guess I am not even all that sure what that even is...like I see women my age who look more like what people expect an almost 30 year old woman to look like and I don't look like that. Not sure it means I am un-attractive or not per say but I do tend to feel out of place with women my own age. Like if anything I look younger so that has some attractive qualities I suppose but I don't think I have a good side profile of my face, like my chin is not very defined and my cheeks look weird from the side in my opinion. But then of course some family see side profile pictures of me and say it looks good, but I am sitting there thinking, uhh that doesn't look good.

I've also had people tell me I am ugly, one boy at school told me I had a gorilla face and I have had people confuse me for being male(though only when I have my hair shorter). So I have gotten mixed opinions of how I look to other people.

Sweetleaf, you are good looking. I remember your photo from when you had dreadlocks. I think you had a knit cap on at one time, but I could be wrong about that! Your newer hair style sounds good too. I’d like an undercut but my hair is too fine. My hair is mostly white to the front. About ten years ago I started adding blue, pink or purple to it. It is fun and liberating to be different and unique. There are no age restrictions to appearance. (I don’t like my chin either. It’s not defined enough. I find longer hair helps frame it.)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 4:29 am

quite an extreme wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Also I don't know about you guys but I also have a huge permanent callous on my finger from biting myself whenever I get too anxious or stressed out. I knew another boy with autism who had the same things on his hands. Do any of you guys have that too?

I hope not. It's the behaviours of a toddler who doesn't even dares to whine because someone would hurt him even more again then. It looks strange if an adult shows such behaviour. It makes people stare on you and not accept you as being normal even if you are otherwise. You are an adult now and have to be strong. You have to be it in a way that nobody ever dares to hurt you. Stop this behaviour and get over your fears and become a man. :mrgreen:.

Nobody gets over all their fears (it wouldn't be healthy for them if they did). Most of them learn to hide them

better than we do with proper grown up manly behavours like alcoholism, drug addiction, bullying, self-abuse,

and violence ect.

Sorry about your callouses TW1ZTY, but I think you should look on them as war wounds in your fight against

anxiety. That's how I'm trying to see my OCD now that I know it's my way of coping with stress and anxiety

rather than a mental illness.