what happens if Kavanagh gets into supreme court?

Page 8 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 1:53 pm

There are going to be many more revelations and investigations with varying degrees of merit.

If the blue wave happens the Democrats will try to remove him via impeachment in the House and conviction in the Senate. They will fail because it is difficult to get 2/3rds of the Senate to vote to convict.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:01 pm

Could a communist or a Hugo Chavez/ Nicolas Maduro-type get elected governor of a state like North Dakota?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 6:18 am

People must not comprehend the fact that --- the Judge nominated by Obama , the Judge the democrats claim the Republicans denied -- voted in agreement on issues 93% of the time with Judge Kavanaugh while they sat on the same court of appeals.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/sep/5/kavanaugh-garland-voted-together-93-pct-time/

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 6:43 am

Shrapnel wrote:
People must not comprehend the fact that --- the Judge nominated by Obama , the Judge the democrats claim the Republicans denied -- voted in agreement on issues 93% of the time with Judge Kavanaugh while they sat on the same court of appeals.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/sep/5/kavanaugh-garland-voted-together-93-pct-time/

This is true. However I'll play the devil's advocate and say the left would probably counter that it's the other 7% of the time that may be of critical importance to them. Abortion, for example, is a sacrament to the left (sacrament: a thing of mysterious and sacred significance). 93% concurrence would be immaterial if abortion fell into the 7% area of disagreement.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2018, 12:27 pm

Shrapnel wrote:

Your point? He nominated a moderate conservative. The senile McTurtle blocked it anyways. If Obama was as partisan as Trump and the Repukes, he'd have nominate someone guaranteed to overturn the Citizens United decision.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 3:20 pm

Shrapnel wrote:

Maybe that remaining 7% is important.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:54 pm

I feel terrible about the remarks I made earlier in the thread.

I am very saddened, angry, and frustrated by the GOP’s hard right turn. Besides things like abortion, SSM, etc, I am worried that their policies are going to affect me personally. I am worried that they will try to enact an “abstinence and missionary only” sex policy. (Nearly every woman I’ve rejected romantically, I rejected because they said they were saving themselves for marriage). I am worried they will take my two favorite TV shows (The Simpsons and South Park) off the air and go back to days where you couldn’t even say the word “pregnant” on TV. To me, losing either of those shows would be like the death of a close family member. I am worried that art museums will be shut down in the name of “common decency”. I go to the Museum of Fine Arts almost *entirely* because of the naked statues.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
There are going to be many more revelations and investigations with varying degrees of merit.

If the blue wave happens the Democrats will try to remove him via impeachment in the House and conviction in the Senate. They will fail because it is difficult to get 2/3rds of the Senate to vote to convict.

There most definitely needs to be an actual investigation.

Quote:
Thee FBI investigation was extremely limited in scope and time; did not include interviews of Kavanaugh, Christine Blasey Ford, or approximately 40 others who say they tried to talk to the FBI but couldn’t get through; and did not look into the likelihood that Kavanaugh lied in his Senate testimony. Ford, whose report that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her in high school is central to determining Kavanaugh’s fitness for the Supreme Court, offered to speak with the FBI, but was rebuffed.

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/ ... ugh/221574

The public knowing about the shoddy investigation is going to taint the supreme court which would hinder the public's trust in the court system.

If he's innocent, he's innocent.

If he's found guilty, well it's up the GOP to decide what to do from there if they maintain the senate. However, if he is found guilty - while I demonize many on the right, I doubt that they'd be that far gone that they stand by a man who has been found guilty. Maybe they would. But, I'm optimistic enough to believe they at least have the common decency not to.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2018, 11:35 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
If he's found guilty, well it's up the GOP to decide what to do from there if they maintain the senate. However, if he is found guilty - while I demonize many on the right, I doubt that they'd be that far gone that they stand by a man who has been found guilty. Maybe they would. But, I'm optimistic enough to believe they at least have the common decency not to.

No matter how much corroborating material is uncovered, they will use mental gymnastics and conspiracy theories to explain it all away. I doubt there will ever be the kind hard evidence needed to pursue a criminal indictment. Either he did nothing wrong or it just doesn't matter. I've already heard plenty of conservatives admit that they don't care. If he did attempt to rape Dr. Ford, he was drunk and it was 36 years ago, so it doesn't matter.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 10:02 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I feel terrible about the remarks I made earlier in the thread.

I am very saddened, angry, and frustrated by the GOP’s hard right turn. Besides things like abortion, SSM, etc, I am worried that their policies are going to affect me personally. I am worried that they will try to enact an “abstinence and missionary only” sex policy. (Nearly every woman I’ve rejected romantically, I rejected because they said they were saving themselves for marriage). I am worried they will take my two favorite TV shows (The Simpsons and South Park) off the air and go back to days where you couldn’t even say the word “pregnant” on TV. To me, losing either of those shows would be like the death of a close family member. I am worried that art museums will be shut down in the name of “common decency”. I go to the Museum of Fine Arts almost *entirely* because of the naked statues.

One of my qualities is that I am fearless. It may account for the fact that I am married, have 2 children and 5 grandchildren. So if you are looking for the path forward then consider this:

Somatic Experiencing

Somatic refers to the somatic nervous system, the portion of the vertebrate nervous system, which regulates voluntary movements of the body. Somatic experiencing is the ability to sense emotional buildup and regulate it.

The ability to effectively contain and process extreme emotional states is one of the linchpins both of effective, truly dynamical trauma therapy and of living a vital, robust life. We can be driven nearly insane by rage, paralyzed by fear and drowned by sorrow. Once triggered, such violent emotions can take over our existence. Rather than feeling our emotions, we become them; we are swallowed up by these emotions. The key to not being swept away by intense emotional stress is to catch them before they ignite and inflame us. They must be defused, slowly and in an orderly fashion. Otherwise the stress when released will replicate the original trauma, producing a never-ending trauma feedback loop.

It is like the ability in real time to catch an emotion (such as rage) just right before it is about to be released - to catch it like a butterfly and then open your hands very slowly and let it calmly and peacefully fly away. I can sense this time sequence. During the brief millisecond before rage is transformed into action, I consciously insert my mind into the sequence and logically let it control and direct the release. This is the essence of emotional self-regulation. We can only capture and transform this emotional energy if we can consciously restrain and resist being triggered into the expressive phase.

When I look back at my life, I understand that this process (somatic experiencing) is something that I have been doing almost my entire life automatically. So let me describe it in my own terms. At its core, it is the ability to pause. It is the ability to sense the build up of emotions, such as rage, and then insert a pause and then I consciously insert my mind, my intellect, and decision processing in order to determine what comes next. I would describe it by the term “self-control”. I separate myself from my body for an instant of time, in a flash. It is almost like I am hovering over my body and looking down. I look at the situation from a thousand different angles, different perspectives and then arrive at a course of action to direct the expenditure of this emotional energy. [I often describe myself as fearless. In analyzing this trait, I now understand that I have learned the technique to harness the strong emotion called “fear”]

The thin sliver of brain tissue that makes us conscious is found in the prefrontal cortex, the forward part of our frontal lobes. In particular there are two loci. The one toward the side is called the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. This part makes conscious our relationship to the outside world. The second part, located toward the middle, is called the medial prefrontal cortex. This is the only part of the cerebral cortex that apparently can modify the response of the limbic or emotional brain – particularly the amygdala, which is responsible for intense survival emotions. The medial prefrontal cortex (particularly the insular cingulated cortex) receives direct input from muscles, joints and visceral organs and registers them into consciousness. Through awareness of these interoceptive sensations (i.e. through the process of tracking bodily sensations), we are able to access and modify our emotional responses and attain our core sense of self.

If you are interested, you might explore the book by Peter A. Levine called "In an Unspoken Voice".

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:09 pm

Thanks for the advice.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 12:30 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

You're Welcome.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:19 am

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:
Thee FBI investigation was extremely limited in scope and time; did not include interviews of Kavanaugh, Christine Blasey Ford, or approximately 40 others who say they tried to talk to the FBI but couldn’t get through; and did not look into the likelihood that Kavanaugh lied in his Senate testimony. Ford, whose report that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her in high school is central to determining Kavanaugh’s fitness for the Supreme Court, offered to speak with the FBI, but was rebuffed.

The public knowing about the shoddy investigation is going to taint the supreme court which would hinder the public's trust in the court system.

The GOP isn't capable of common decency. Anything that is common decency is instantly labeled "political correctness".

Yet it is precisely the GOP's lack of common decency that might well doom Trump. For that to happen, there has to be a true blue wave, not just of the House, but of the Senate. I'm reasonably confident about the former, but certainly not the latter.

But if both houses do in fact leave the hands of the GOP, watch for the political long knives to be out for Trump for having lost for the GOP its commanding lead in government. If Trump had played his cards right, he might currently be basking in the dawn of a genuinely anticipated retention of both houses of Congress.

But he's shot off his motor mouth and twitted his tweets too many times.

While the GOP has to back Trump 100% on these things, the situation will change dramatically if he loses both houses in a blue wave. Even though conviction would remain very unlikely (the Senate needs 67 votes to convict on impeachment) there are many other ways for the GOP to cooperate in making life very difficult for Trump. And if they blame Trump for their losses, it's likely they will.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 3:46 am

thoughtbeast wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:

The GOP isn't capable of common decency. Anything that is common decency is instantly labeled "political correctness".

Yet it is precisely the GOP's lack of common decency that might well doom Trump. For that to happen, there has to be a true blue wave, not just of the House, but of the Senate. I'm reasonably confident about the former, but certainly not the latter.

But if both houses do in fact leave the hands of the GOP, watch for the political long knives to be out for Trump for having lost for the GOP its commanding lead in government. If Trump had played his cards right, he might currently be basking in the dawn of a genuinely anticipated retention of both houses of Congress.

While the GOP has to back Trump 100% on these things, the situation will change dramatically if he loses both houses in a blue wave. Even though conviction would remain very unlikely (the Senate needs 67 votes to convict on impeachment) there are many other ways for the GOP to cooperate in making life very difficult for Trump. And if they blame Trump for their losses, it's likely they will.

I would think a true blue wave would mean the republicans base has shrunk to the most hard core right meaning that the remaining republicans must pander to them or be primaried out.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 8:39 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
thoughtbeast wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:

I would think a true blue wave would mean the republicans base has shrunk to the most hard core right meaning that the remaining republicans must pander to them or be primaried out.

I think that would be more likely the case if Trump keeps both houses of Congress. It is precisely because Congressionals want to keep their positions that they back Trump 100% - now. But should they lose both houses of Congress, the remaining ones are more likely to be the less extreme among them - and therefore the more willing to punish Trump.

Anyone hear of Michele Bachmann lately?

My point exactly.