what happens if Kavanagh gets into supreme court?

Page 1 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

enz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 8:08 pm

I'm from NZ and don't understand your political system that well

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 8:16 pm

I don't think much will change. What people are most concerned about is that the Supreme Court might overturn Roe vs Wade (the case that legalized abortion nationwide).

I don't see that happening. The conservative-liberal ratio has been 5:4 since 1991, and it has never been overturned. It survived Antonin Scalia's tenure (he was one of the more conservative justices), and has survived Neil Gorsuch's tenure so far. More than likely, Chief Justice John Roberts will become the swing voter (long associated with Anthony Kennedy, the justice Kavanaugh would replace if confirmed), and Roberts has no interest in revisiting RvW.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 8:35 pm

I was convinced until earlier this week that the opposition was about the abortion issue with all other issues tertiary at best.

I get it now and I understand the left's desperation. Out of the three branches of government (Executive, Legislative and Judicial) "the left" has relied upon the judicial to advance it's varied agendas. The judicial branch, is the teacher in the schoolyard. The left runs to the principal (Supreme Court) to settle disputes, many of which could/should be worked out at the state level. The judicial branch is therefore more valuable to "the left" than either of the two branches and a solidly "conservative" and young court would be devastating for "the left's" agendas.

Does that make more sense?

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 8:39 pm

enz wrote:
I'm from NZ and don't understand your political system that well

It'll allow the right to wreck even more damage and spread their increasingly white supremacist agenda elsewhere.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 8:40 pm

Magna wrote:
I was convinced until earlier this week that the opposition was about the abortion issue with all other issues tertiary at best.

I get it now and I understand the left's desperation. Out of the three branches of government (Executive, Legislative and Judicial) "the left" has relied upon the judicial to advance it's varied agendas. The judicial branch, is the teacher in the schoolyard. The left runs to the principal (Supreme Court) to settle disputes, many of which could/should be worked out at the state level. The judicial branch is therefore more valuable to "the left" than either of the two branches and a solidly "conservative" and young court would be devastating for "the left's" agendas.

Are you saying a biased judicial system would be a good thing? No checks and balances?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 8:47 pm

When was the judicial system unbiased? Local, state and federal judicial systems have leaned left for the most part for a long time now.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 8:49 pm

Magna wrote:
When was the judicial system unbiased? Local, state and federal judicial systems have leaned left for the most part for a long time now.

Are you sure you are ready for the consequences?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 1:44 am

The water cooler will have to be filled more often. They'll have to buy more kleenex for tear dabbing. More wall space will be needed and a large curio added to display all of kavanaugh's trophies. And a brewery will be installed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 9:56 am

If Kavanaugh becomes a Justice of the Supreme Court, he is there for the duration of his life (or until he retires).

I am not actually sure if he would advocate overturning Roe Versus Wade. Should he actually advocate it, I strongly feel the whole Court wouldn't follow suit.

I don't believe Kavanaugh would be an objective Justice. I believe he's too politicized.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 10:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If Kavanaugh becomes a Justice of the Supreme Court, he is there for the duration of his life (or until he retires).

I am not actually sure if he would advocate overturning Roe Versus Wade. Should he actually advocate it, I strongly feel the whole Court wouldn't follow suit.

I don't believe Kavanaugh would be an objective Justice. I believe he's too politicized.

Did he ever show signs of being politicized before the "job interview"?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 10:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I know what you're saying, Kortie, but I think we're past the age of justices not leaning one way or the other politically. Many would argue, for example, that the "Notorious RBG" is also "too politicized".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 10:06 am

I would agree it's possible that RBG is too "politicized."

But even she follows common sense, and doesn't let politics affect common sense.

In the history of the Supreme Court, I have actually seen many "conservatives" move towards the center owing to the impetus of judicial "common sense."

John Paul Stevens, that notorious liberal, was a Nixon appointee.....

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 10:10 am

Roe vs. Wade will be overturned. Campaign finance restrictions, already devastated by Citizen's United, will be eliminating, handing elections over to big money. Climate change and environmental protections will be gone. He will side with Trump on unprecedented Presidential power, like the power to pardon himself and avoid investigations. There will be a Muslim ban. LGBT rights will be overturned. Religious institutions will get government funding, will be active politically, and will still get tax breaks, so... theocracy. And no one will trust the Supreme Court again as a fair arbiter of the law.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 10:14 am

Kavanaugh might advocate these things (he might not)...but do you believe Clarence Thomas would vote with him if he does?

Clarence Thomas is the "arch-conservative" of the Court. Even he is not that nutty!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 11:29 am

Hopeful a balance between republicans and democrats will be restored thus protecting the constitution and our rights.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 11:31 am

Magna wrote:

Yes they use it to make laws and destroy the constitution exactly why the left shouldn’t have a majority in the court.