Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 8:12 pm

When I was still a kid in school I entered many art poster contests for things like dental health awareness. When I was 13 I not only won first prize - a red boom box - but I got my picture taken and put in the paper.

But what kind of contests are there now that let me show off my art? And unless they're cash prizes, the prizes are probably lame. :(

I've recently won some small things like a free doughnut or coffee in Tim Horton's Roll Up The Rim contests.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 3:00 am

When I was respectively 9 and 17, I entered art poster contests, too. For the first one I got a commendation and a diploma, the latter one gave me the third prize and - in result - a book on trees and shrubs :)

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 4:29 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
er.

But what kind of contests are there now that let me show off my art? And unless they're cash prizes, the prizes are probably lame. :(

I enter also many writing contests, in one of them I won the collection of ALL short stories by Vonnegut :D This one -> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/341 ... te-stories In Polish, of course :)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 11:24 am

There's a fan or 'geek" con coming to the city I live in a week from today. :D I read that they're having an art contest. But the theme they've picked is doing stuff to make the world a better place, like being tolerant of different people, anti bullying, or anti-hate or whatever.

I was thinking of making a cartoon that advocates autistic people. Maybe different and diverse characters wearing shirts that say "#redinstead" or the infinity symbol.

Even if I don't win anything, it'll be a good opportunity to show off my art. :)

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 2:48 am

Redpaws wrote:
I won 2nd price at a bingo once when I was a kid.

Despite the numerous times I have entered contests, I have never won anything.

Because you have to wait - I got my first winning - a set of cosmetics plus a kiddie computer game after three months that passed since I started to enter contests 14 years ago. Now I win statistically one or two things a week.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 3:44 pm

I don't think I'm going to enter that contest I mentioned earlier.

The highest age group for entries is 17 and over. They might as well be telling me, "Oh you've made some art, Grandma? How nice, did the grandkiddies help you, or did you take time off from knitting sweaters for your cats to make it yourself?" :roll:

Also the deadline is in only two more days. They've probably looked at a ton of entries already.

There's always next year. I guess.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 3:19 pm

Irulan wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
er.

I enter also many writing contests, in one of them I won the collection of ALL short stories by Vonnegut :D This one -> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/341 ... te-stories In Polish, of course :)

Writing contests can offer those important experiences - esp. if your work won in the top prize categories.

P.S. I enjoy Kurt Vonnegut's works esp. Timequake. Here on WP, there is an 'Art, Writing, and Music Forum' - Any specific recommendations for reputable writing contest programs?

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 3:31 pm

I won a Halloween colouring competition with Brittany ferries, a BBC competition to design a spaceship for a Dr Who online game, a National Trust treasure hunt thing where you had to find all the apples in the garden of a manor house, a poetry competition, and 2nd place in a wildlife journalism competition. I won two fancy dress competitions, one for a Bo Peep costume and one for a mermaid costume. Oh and I've won a fair few sims 3 competitions and challenges back in the day.

Some of these wins were a very long time ago, and none of them are recent. I don't enter much these days.
I get very obsessive if I enter competitions and can't stop thinking about if I've won.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 4:30 pm

Irulan wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
er.

I'm SO jealous, he's my fav fiction author!

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 2:55 am

Unfortunately, all the writing contests I participated in, were in Polish :) And as for Vonnegut, I won his stories with my short - very short - story on the inventor of the elixir of immortality who lives like two billion years in the future - still immortal - and is very unhappy, knowing now that mortality was a real blessing for humankind. I also won once with my short children's book on a portal for young parents - I won cosmetics :)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 7:38 am

I wanted to start a worst WP member contest, but the mods said no. I'm very disappointed because I'm sure I would win.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 9:51 am

martianprincess wrote:
Irulan wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
er.

I'm SO jealous, he's my fav fiction author!

Once I also won almost a complete set of Ursula LeGuin's novels (for example one volume; a really thick one, a real door stopper, was the complete edition of ALL her Earthsea novels and short stories) but this time not in a writing contest - just because I wrote in it that H.P. Lovecraft was the best fantasy author that ever lived (well, maybe he was not into fantasy that much - but for his The Dreamlands stories - but into weird fiction - but I won the books :D

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 9:57 am

EzraS wrote:
I wanted to start a worst WP member contest, but the mods said no. I'm very disappointed because I'm sure I would win.

I think I'd be the toughest opponent in that contest, could be a draw.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2019, 2:41 pm

I won another thing in a writing contest - I entered my Harry Potter first movie review and I won a special prize - a book by Ursula Le Guin that is an edition of several books by her gathered in one THICK volume :D

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 4:50 pm

Tomorrow, I will enter some writing contest again - I will enter my short - very short - Angel of Death story, to be more precise :D

Besides, I have won a myriad of things since I posted in this thread for the last time :D

Is there anyone else on this board who shares my hobby? :D

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 2:12 pm

As of this very year, I have already won 154 things in various online contests :D The best thing I have won so far in 2021 is a beautiful, totally fabulous crystal chandalier :D I'm so proud of it :D Besides, I won a beautiful Tarot cards deck, a candle with a silver necklace in, a piece of macrame and MANY other useful items :D