Blasey Ford, Yes or No; Kavanaugh, Yes or No?

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 8:49 pm

The Left is accustomed to having no consequences for their criminal actions, so I hope these people will be successful. "Punch back twice as hard," as a famous man once said.

Mississippi prof, who went to Georgetown Prep with Brett Kavanaugh, sues HuffPost

A Gulfport professor and advocate is suing the national news website HuffPost alleging defamation involving a September 2018 story on U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh's days at Georgetown Prep school.

Derrick Evans’ lawsuit was filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Gulfport against HuffPost and its former journalist, Ashley Feinberg.

The lawsuit said HuffPost and Feinberg repeatedly defamed Evans and friend Douglas Kennedy to a nationwide audience on multiple occasions in September 2018 by falsely asserting that they helped arrange the purchase and delivery of cocaine at Georgetown Prep that resulted in the April 1984 death of David Kennedy, Douglas’ brother and the son of the late U.S. attorney general and senator, Robert F. Kennedy.

“These statements were not only false and defamatory, but outrageously so, and were published by defendants with knowledge of their actual falsity or in reckless disregard of the truth for the apparent purpose of creating a salacious story designed to drive internet traffic to HuffPost’s website,” the lawsuit said.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/new ... 078341001/

There Are Four Lights!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 10:40 am

^ There should be a focus on the media in general in this regard to "clean it up"; meaning, any form of slander and defamation by the media should be met with law suits that would be truly punitive. It's obvious that it's common for the media to be outright reckless to push a narrative or agenda. That should stop.

I would say at least once per year I'll do a search/update on Blasey Ford because I want to know if that little girl voice is truly her own. Perhaps it is. However, perhaps it isn't (I suspected right off that it was a fake voice). Maybe ten years from now there will be a candid Youtube vid where she's talking normally. That's the kind of thing I'm interested in checking up on.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Aug 2019, 3:37 pm

Magna wrote:
^ There should be a focus on the media in general in this regard to "clean it up"; meaning, any form of slander and defamation by the media should be met with law suits that would be truly punitive. It's obvious that it's common for the media to be outright reckless to push a narrative or agenda. That should stop.

Believe me, that's a terrible idea. It sounds attractive on the surface but in practice it is really chilling for freedom of speech, while also not really making the issue any better. People need to be able to speak out against other people who have told lies, about people who have abused positions of power, about corporations doing shady business.

There's obviously a balance to be struck but you do NOT want to go down the British route. At the very least, judges should be empowered to consider the public interest, and both judges and publishers should always consider the potential good against the potential harm.

In the UK, newspapers can be sued for reporting the truth. They probably won't be ruled against, but they might have to pay legal costs. This has had a chilling effect, particularly for scientists reporting on the effectiveness of medical treatments.

Keep the government out of the news as much as possible. The freedom of the press is essential to the freedom of the people. Not to say that defamation isn't a real issue, because it is, but clamp down on it too hard and you start to look like China.