Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 1:58 am

I had a small thread going the other day coz I lost my job on Tuesday. As I stated in that thread I know I deserved to be terminated for stuff I did a while back (even though I know I had my reasons). But talking to my girlfriend last night she made me realise that this was probably a long time coming.

Basically I was offered a great opportunity/transfer in the company (I went from paying a huge weekly rent by myself to living in a company house rent free) so I jumped at it. Then I was offered a transfer back to my original worksite but with a promotion to manager and, this time, a company house on site. So I took that opportunity as well.

The problem was that I signed a contract to indeed be a manager and receive a pay bump from wages to a salary. But these things never happened. Obviously I knew I was never transferred from wages to salary (which I complained about but was constantly given the run around), but I didn't know I'd essentially been tricked into thinking I was a manager. Only one guy (one level above me) considered me a manager but everyone in the company above him thought I was just an assistant manager. This is ridiculous because the site was divided into 3 areas and I was solely responsible for one third of the site for at least six months. Effectively, I was acting as the site manager that I signed up to be. I just didn't know that no one else felt that way. Luckily when I started to get worried/suspicious I took a picture of every page of that contract that I signed and what do you know, a little while after that it vanished from the office lol.

As for the wages, I was told by other people on site that because I lived in a company house I wasn't entitled to write down my weekend hours. It turned out that this was illegal and so when the company's national industrial relations manager found out about it I was back paid for a lot of weekends I worked without pay. I was kind of reluctant to take it at the time but at least three people I spoke to for advice told me I should take it because I earned it. In the end the company didn't even give me a choice and put it in my bank account along with my pay one week without getting me to sign an NDA as they originally said they would. So it felt like forced hush money with the very generous bonus of not making me sign an NDA.

Now my girlfriend seems to think that this would have put me on the radar and given recent events, the same national industrial relations manager would have seen my name involved in this latest drama and thought I'm being ungrateful or I'm too much of a liability. I understand that but I never really got to defend myself or explain that everything I was accused of, other people have not only done the exact same thing but also worse things. Not to mention that the back pay was not my fault either. If I'd been given what I'd signed up for in the contract or at least kept on wages but allowed to write down my weekend hours, none of that would have happened either.

Now I'm just packing and cleaning the company house preparing to move out. I had a new job lined up and all but confirmed too (because I wanted to leave anyway) but now I think that's been botched because the new job was at a smaller company with close ties to this one. And even if they haven't found out I'm such an idiot that I'll probably try to bring it up at some point and ruin the opportunity myself. Good times.