Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 2:38 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I'll give you an example of the race card being played too much. During the Obama administration, I listened to many call those who simply disagreed with a particular Obama policy "racist." Would you agree that is a good example? Am I not allowed to have an opinion on that?

Which policy?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 2:40 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
As a gay man I'd consider being denied the right to same sex marriage in a supposedly free country a form of homophobia. I also consider it homophobic when gay men and gay women are gathered in a community and stoned to death or burned alive at the stake (something that actually happens in some parts of the world).

Edit: Also being denied the right to donate plasma if I have ever had sex with another man regardless if I actually have HIV or not.

As a Caucasian/Polynesian mix I find it racist when people refer to my real father as an "island n*****" or me a "white island n*****".

And as someone with Aspergers I find it offensive whenever somebody asks me if I want an a**burger. :roll:

My late sister was gay, so I know how badly she suffered for her sexual preference throughout her life. Sadly, she passed away in 2010 at the age of 63. It till saddens me that she didn't live long enough to see the advances the gay community has made.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 2:42 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
But just because racists are complaining about the overuse of the race card doesn't mean that it's not the case.

As said, context is key.

Look how many people say Trump being labeled a racist is excessive.

In this case it's usually white people telling a vast majority of black people that they are wrong to view Trump as a racist; or put simply whites acting like they know best what is racist against blacks than black people do.

Now imagine you're black, you keep on getting attacked and told by white people that you're wrong to think of it as racism. You'd likely, like many minorities, become easily skeptical when people say some of the same lingo and phrases.

I'm not black, but as a hispanic bisexual immigrant - I know exactly where they're coming from similar attitudes towards the minority groups I'm in. I'd have people saying my actions are like beastiality and that I'm going to hell repeatedly, then once those same people are called out for homophobia they'd act like they were the victim. Then, depending on the setting many straights would chime in and agree that it is too far to call someone homophobic for saying liking the same sex is like someone wanting to have sex with a dog. Minorities go through similar experiences repeatedly and for years without end.

Although different from "it's being tossed around too much," it also reminds me of straight people who believe that homophobia no longer exists. People on the left thinking this. It's like they're living in some alternate universe.

Last edited by Spooky_Mulder on 05 Oct 2018, 2:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 2:44 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I'll give you an example of the race card being played too much. During the Obama administration, I listened to many call those who simply disagreed with a particular Obama policy "racist." Would you agree that is a good example? Am I not allowed to have an opinion on that?

Depending on the context that is a good example. As you are aware of though, many who didn't like Obama also continuously refuted where he was born, depicted him as a savage or a monkey, had lynching effigies, and multiple other things as well - all while saying that it isn't racism yet is in good fun. These are also typically the people who complained about the term "racist" getting thrown around too much; this is why minorities are always skeptical regarding one with those views.

Yeah, calling a person of color a "savage" or a "monkey" are perfect examples of blatant racism. I wouldn't go as far as to say all "birthers" were racists, though, even though I believe they were f'ing crazy. Some just merely hated liberals. I get your point. But just because racists are complaining about the overuse of the race card doesn't mean that it's not the case.

I can understand and respect somebody not liking Obama because they oppose his political beliefs. But the fact is a lot of people hated him simply because of his skin color. I still remember his election when I was in high school and a lot of redneck white kids were joking about how they wanted to see him get shot on TV while he was giving his speech. If that isn't true racism then I don't know what is...

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 2:50 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
But just because racists are complaining about the overuse of the race card doesn't mean that it's not the case.

As said, context is key.

Look how many people say Trump being labeled a racist is excessive.

In this case it's usually white people telling a vast majority of black people that they are wrong to view Trump as a racist; or put simply whites acting like they know best what is racist against blacks than black people do.

Now imagine you're black, you keep on getting attacked and told by white people that you're wrong to think of it as racism. You'd likely, like many minorities become, become easily skeptical when people say the same lingo and phrases.

I'm not black, but as a hispanic bisexual immigrant - I know exactly where they're coming from similar attitudes towards the minority groups I'm in. I'd have people saying my actions are like beastiality and that I'm going to hell repeatedly, then once those same people are called out for homophobia they'd act like they were the victim.

Although different from "it's being tossed around too much," it also reminds me of straight people who believe that homophobia no longer exists. People on the left thinking this. It's like they're living in some alternate universe.

In the case of Trump, I do believe many of his comments are blatantly racist. And anyone who suggests that racism and homophobia no longer exist are idiots.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 2:52 pm

AspE wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Which policy?

It's been awhile, but one of them was the use of drones to kill enemy combatants.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 2:58 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Depending on the context that is a good example. As you are aware of though, many who didn't like Obama also continuously refuted where he was born, depicted him as a savage or a monkey, had lynching effigies, and multiple other things as well - all while saying that it isn't racism yet is in good fun. These are also typically the people who complained about the term "racist" getting thrown around too much; this is why minorities are always skeptical regarding one with those views.

Yeah, calling a person of color a "savage" or a "monkey" are perfect examples of blatant racism. I wouldn't go as far as to say all "birthers" were racists, though, even though I believe they were f'ing crazy. Some just merely hated liberals. I get your point. But just because racists are complaining about the overuse of the race card doesn't mean that it's not the case.

I can understand and respect somebody not liking Obama because they oppose his political beliefs. But the fact is a lot of people hated him simply because of his skin color. I still remember his election when I was in high school and a lot of redneck white kids were joking about how they wanted to see him get shot on TV while he was giving his speech. If that isn't true racism then I don't know what is...

Yeah, there were plenty of folks who were pretty open about their racism. No argument here. I voted for Obama in 2008, but voted for a third party candidate in 2012. His continuation of the Bush policies of interventionism largely swayed my decision.

Oscar Meyer Lansky