Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 4:45 pm

Is it weird to go to a sit down restaurant by yourself? I never have anyone to go with me, but then I end up being the only person in the whole restaurant with a table to myself. They always bring their friends and families to eat with them, so I feel weirdly conspicuous sitting there alone.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 4:55 pm

I've read a lot of places that it shouldn't/isn't weird but I always feel weird doing so. I keep doing because I like to eat out and I don't have friends to go with me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 4:58 pm

It doesn't bother me to eat inside a restaurant alone. I can take my time to decide what I really want, I don't have to make eye contact or conversation, and there isn't any argument about how to split the check.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 5:05 pm

to be honest, i often don't like when i go with other people too because it's stressful to choose where to go or what to eat.

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2018, 12:27 am

Maybe not super common, but not really weird. Lots of people travel for work, have odd work hours, multiple jobs, etc. There are tons of reasons why you wouldn't/can't/don't want to eat at home. Just cause you're not looking to have a social outing doesn't mean you should have to be damned to fast food or take out.

That said, I think it would feel more natural if you have brought something to be occupied with, whether it's a sketchbook, a computer, tablet, reading book, magazine, or newspaper. You would definitely seem AND feel less like the person who was stood up from a date and more like a person who is self sufficient and preoccupied but just likes nice food. Plus, you may find it more enjoyable as well! I love reading in a restaurant booth 8) :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 1:03 am

on the relatively rare occasions I have a few coins extra, jangling in my pocket, I will sometimes treat myself to a mickey-Ds or such, that is as close to restaurant as I generally get, lotsa other singleton types in there, no discomfort.

fromamegaverse
Raven
Raven

06 Oct 2018, 1:55 am

I do it. Those moments can be great as you can just focus on the food and appreciate what you paid for. Maybe try to get a table away from everyone to enjoy yourself in some more privacy. Or wear a shirt that says "taste-tester". :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 1:53 pm

There was some sad hit pop ballad on the radio when I was a child back in the Sixties sung by some male crooner that had the line ".... a table for one, it's a lonesome town alright...".

Heard it more than once during a few weeks in my childhood.

That's the only line I remember from the song. So it must have made an impression on my childhood self. While playing with toy cars on the floor and pondering the line I came to the conclusion that dining alone in a restaurant must be some kind of universal metaphor for loneliness among grown ups (shrug).

And that pretty much is the case. You can eat by yourself in a blue collar diner, or in a fast food place, or in a deli.

But in a fancy sit down restaurant its mildly uncool to get a "table for one".

Much later, as a college student, I was reading about Japanese culture and learned that the Japanese prefer to bath with other folks. And in fact in Japanese poetry and song "not having someone to bath with" is a common metaphor for loneliness. So I concluded that in Japan taking a bath is apparently like dining in a formal restaurant is for Americans. Lol!

Whatever.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 1:58 pm

I don't think it's weird nor something to be judged

I've seen people in a café, having a coffee on there own and using a laptop for work or calls and that isn't "suspicious" so to eat in a restaurant alone, shouldn't be judged either. Also just because someones eating alone, doesn't always mean they've been stood up or they're lonely or have "issues" maybe they just want to treat themselves to a meal and enjoy it in peace. I'd say go for it and enjoy!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 2:06 pm

Like this?

Hehe. Actually I don't mind going to a restaurant alone. I bring a hoity-toity magazine like Smithsonian to read, and nobody seems to care a whit.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 5:29 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
Is it weird to go to a sit down restaurant by yourself? I never have anyone to go with me, but then I end up being the only person in the whole restaurant with a table to myself. They always bring their friends and families to eat with them, so I feel weirdly conspicuous sitting there alone.

I have done it by myself so much that it doesn't bother me anymore. The one thing to do would be to be comfortable with who you are to the point that you aren't bothered by being alone.

You could try doing some guided meditations and positive affirmations associated with loneliness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CtfeDNbSAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaaM6FhgsNw

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 7:15 pm

Back when I still had money, I used to eat out alone all the time. I still do attend coffee shops alone almost daily. I never even noticed it was unusual until fairly recently.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 7:56 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
There was some sad hit pop ballad on the radio when I was a child back in the Sixties sung by some male crooner that had the line "... a table for one, it's a lonesome town alright..."
Title: Dear Heart
Sung by: Joanie Sommers
Lyrics:

Dear heart,
Wish you were here to warm this night.
My dear heart,
Seems like a year
Since you've been out of my sight.

A single room, a table for one;
It's a lonesome town all right !
But soon I'll kiss you hello
At our front door,
And dear heart I want you to know
I'll leave your arms nevermore.

Songwriters: Henry N. Mancini / Jay Livingston / Ray Evans
Dear Heart lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group, Spirit Music Group, Jay Livingston Music, Inc.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 8:56 pm

https://www.stlmag.com/dining/Party-of- ... olo-Diner/
Geoff Dill said that the Clayton location of Ruth’s Chris tends to have more regular single diners than the downtown location, where they have more business customers. Dill went on to attribute the fact that single diners make up 25% of the weekly customer base to his great staff, whose service ensures repeat visits.

I started eating out alone this summer. At one restaurant the owner always says hi to me, even if she is busy helping out in the kitchen. I'm sure everyone remembers me. I tip well, often 25% and round up to the next dollar.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 9:12 pm

Yeah, you won't ever hear "You tip too much" if you eat by yourself at a restaurant!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 11:54 pm