Just got directly invited to a part by a female coworker!

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 10:55 pm

Mr.Robot wrote:
It is a normal Halloween party initiated by some Best Buy employees from another store.

Thank you for all of your messages. I don't think she is in any way interested in me, I was just not sure why she would invite me.

She respects you and thinks highly of you, enough to not only spend time with you outside of work, but to initiate doing so on her own accord. That's never a bad thing. And this looks like a social get-together, rather than a company event. So you have a little bit of leeway with lighthearted flirting and such. But if in doubt, don't do it. Remember: once the party is over and done, you still have to work with this girl.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 11:05 pm

Accept and have a good time. 8)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 11:10 pm

Mr.Robot wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
What kind of party is this? Is it a department outing after work, with a simple meal, a group activity like bowling, and maybe drinks? Or is it a private party at a coworker's home, with drinks, music, and hanging out? (Events during the day fall under the work scope, and usually paid time.)

If it's the former, do not, under any circumstances, view her actions as romantic interest. She was nice enough to invite you and socialize with you; don't abuse the privilege. Plus, department outings fall under the HR scope, and HR always takes the woman's side. If it's the latter, you have a little bit more leeway. But given the black-and-white aspie thinking, I'm sure you're looking for a blanket rule. So I'll give you one: don't react to this woman's invitation any differently than if a male coworker invited you. In other words, show up, bring a dish or a six-pack, fit in the best you can, limit your drinking, and have a fun night.

It is a normal Halloween party initiated by some Best Buy employees from another store.

Thank you for all of your messages. I don't think she is in any way interested in me, I was just not sure why she would invite me.

You work at a Best Buy?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 12:48 am

It’s a company party? I wouldn’t bother showing up, since most company parties are primarily ass-kissing events.

I’m of the old school, show up for work at your appointed time, work as hard as you can, keep a low profile, be professional at all times, go home at the appointed time, AND ABSOLUTELY DO NOT SOCIALIZE WITH YOUR COWORKERS!! !! !

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:18 am

sly279 wrote:

You work at a Best Buy?[/quote]

Correct, sir

@CockneyRebel I already accepted. As soon as she asked me I immediately said "yes". This is the first time I am getting invited to such a social gathering. I would be insane to say "no" to it.

When she asked me, I felt like the most popular kid in the world :mrgreen:

Aspie1: She is a very flirty person and she started flirting with me the first time I entered the store for my first interview. When I told her that I was married she immediately stopped this behavior. Now that I am single again she invites me to that party.

I am just so confused when it comes to human behavior. I don't want to overanalyze, yet my mind is constantly doing so... It gets annoying pretty quickly

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:22 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
Reading too much into things seems to be a common theme around here. She invited you to this party because she thinks you should be there. That doesn't mean she wants to sleep with you.

True but he should go to the party anyway.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 1:18 am

You should learn the work rules:

I hope you didn't do anything stupid.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 2:35 am

Btw what happened to the OP?

I hope he didn’t do anything stupid.