I miss Slackware and Gentoo - what's your favourite distro?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

asperger101
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Oct 2018, 2:42 pm

Hi there!

I have started adventure with a Linux from an Ubuntu after I had switched to it from a Windows. I really hate a Microsoft and their products. Nextly, I migrated to a Linux Mint from the Ubuntu and finally to a Debian. Debian is a more stable distro than an Ubuntu. I tried also an Arch Linux and I liked it due of great wiki, community and (most important!) an AUR. Debian is just as good distribution as Arch Linux.

My approach to the Linux has changed when I met a Gentoo 8) :heart: operating system, very flexible, customizable and source-based distro. It has also a great wiki, big community and very good support as Arch Linux. It also provides overlays, an equivalent of AUR. I loved fun with i3, programming and nice hacking themes. Slackware is also very nice distro :heart: that I install on weak machines on which a manual compilation would takes ages. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a strong MSI laptop so I'm unable to use distcc. Slackware has also a very great community.

Currently, I'm going to try *BSD family (firstly FreeBSD, nextly NetBSD and OpenBSD).

Linux isn't the same as Windows, this is something more. Linux is love :heart: .

What's your favourite Linux distros?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 3:27 pm

I'm posting this on a *medium* i7 Fedora XPS 13. You just reminded me to finally run #dnf distro-sync. Fedora is the stable public beta of Red Hat Enterprise. I don't use it at work (yet); for this job I'd have to work out GPU passthrough for QEMU with virt-manager.

I'm also running Windows Shell for Linux on several PCs, a few are virtual.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

void1A4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2018, 6:01 am

Currently running NixOS on an x220. It's.. ok?

OpenBSD should be great for weak/old machines.

AQ38
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Oct 2018, 12:27 pm

I looooooooooove Slackware! I just put ConnochaetOS, a 32 bit free-as-in-freedom Slack fork, on my X60. I left in 2008 because people were always harassing me for "spending too much time" on computers. That didn't work out well--Ubuntu wasn't "easier", it was just more mainstream. Smartphones and Facebook took over the internet and I would have been better off happily editing my configuration files and ignoring it.

I tried Funtoo, but I mostly have old Thinkpads and that's just too much compiling for them. Debian without the non-free reps is on my big drive, and I'm still into microdistros like D* Small Linux (offline only), antiX, SliTaz, etc.

Hyperbola was great while it worked, but an update broke X and then I could never get anything Arch based to install correctly or understand why.

I'm using old Thinkpads and an Eee PC right now and probably just meandering in the general direction of some sort of ARM processor in the not too distant future.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2018, 4:39 pm

You generally cant go far wrong with Ubuntu but it also depends on your hardware. I like mint as a intro from windows but then theres the light weight distro like Rasbian which of course runs on my Raspberry Pi then I have Lubuntu on an old prehistoric laptop which runs great but I really like using the Rasbian as it encourages you to delve into the Linux command line and python too among other bunled goodies. Simple works for me, as long as it does the job theres no need for fancy effects.

AQ38

17 Oct 2018, 11:07 pm

I'm not sure what version of Debian came with my Beaglebone Black but I hope it's the way you describe Rasbian. When I ordered it, I was just going to make a freedombox but once it was an actual physical object that fits in my back pocket I kind of changed my mind and saw my first ARM processor and baby steps away from intel ME/ AMD PSP that feel doable.

It should be fun. I'm still waiting on the power supply and adaptor for the monitor. My other router project (piratebox for offline neighbourhood filesharing and social forum) was way too easy of a technical project and completely beyond my abilities as far as social skills.

I like command line better than GUI for most tasks but I don't code. It's just a mental block. I mean, I coded in the '80s before I had kids and I was good at it, but my dad's HP Minicomputer was "retro" even then so I don't know Python or Lisp or anything people actually use in 2018.

Yet.

I want that to change this year, even if it's just more "Hello, world!" like I did when I was playing with BASIC on windows.