Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 1:15 pm

Just how completely f****d up do you have to be in order to consider "social justice warrior" a disparaging epithet?

I'd love to have a "SJW" T-shirt, but only if it's printed in 'Antifa' colors!

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2018, 6:19 am

The wage gap is not a "myth", nor are many other ideas that are shot down because people think they have it cracked when they don't. The term "social justice warrior" dismisses beliefs that are legitimate concerns because conservatives and the apologetics can't stand seeing a world that thinks about anybody other than them.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2018, 6:39 am

League_Girl wrote:
SJWs are delusional and think they are right and so closed in their views. They don't like to hear different perspectives different than their own. Funny thing is, they are called leftists. They also call themselves feminists but feminism seems to become "Agree with me or you are a bigot" than to mean equal rights and it seems to become snowflake attitude and not seeing reality and expecting unrealistic expectations on people. Also many activists are SJW because they are like this too.
I really need a hard definition of what this means because I'm fairly allergic to garbage artificial terms like these. With that in mind, it would also be nice to see some sources cited here and there because I'm starting to get the impression that people are getting riled up over perceived and untrue beliefs.

As for activism in general, the idea of progressing forward with solutions to abhorrent problems is a necessity in a modern society that no longer has a voice left and allows idiocy to reign. People like to get their "facts" from sites that are often objectively false about 99% of the time and pseudointellectuals absolutely lap it up because they do little to no research themselves, from quote mining to sources that don't even claim what is being supported (but often anti SJWs and antifems either don't check or can't read, so what's the point?).

Ultimately, a movement of the blind leading the blind and the classical scenario of, "Yeah, but what if we're making the world a better place for no reason?"

Also, the irony behind, "Why are you all so thin skinned??", shouted the anti SJW angrily.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2018, 6:47 am

Piobaire wrote:
Just how completely f****d up do you have to be in order to consider "social justice warrior" a disparaging epithet?

I'd love to have a "SJW" T-shirt, but only if it's printed in 'Antifa' colors!
It's just the world that we live in now. A woman in a game? SJW conspiracy. A lesbian kiss in a game? Forced politics, I say. A female Doctor Who? What a mad world! A black character in Star Wars? 1984!

This is about as ridiculous as it gets, and can go even further oftentimes. Nobody with a level head should get frustrated at, say, African Americans fighting in WWI (as they actually did) but there you go. I know that sometimes there can be insanity as well but it's usually exaggerated by those with an agenda to stamp out those who hope to progress social justice and the left in general.

By the way, I'd like one that says, "Social Justice Mage". :D

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 10:12 am

Mythos wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
SJWs are delusional and think they are right and so closed in their views. They don't like to hear different perspectives different than their own. Funny thing is, they are called leftists. They also call themselves feminists but feminism seems to become "Agree with me or you are a bigot" than to mean equal rights and it seems to become snowflake attitude and not seeing reality and expecting unrealistic expectations on people. Also many activists are SJW because they are like this too.
I really need a hard definition of what this means because I'm fairly allergic to garbage artificial terms like these. With that in mind, it would also be nice to see some sources cited here and there because I'm starting to get the impression that people are getting riled up over perceived and untrue beliefs.

As for activism in general, the idea of progressing forward with solutions to abhorrent problems is a necessity in a modern society that no longer has a voice left and allows idiocy to reign. People like to get their "facts" from sites that are often objectively false about 99% of the time and pseudointellectuals absolutely lap it up because they do little to no research themselves, from quote mining to sources that don't even claim what is being supported (but often anti SJWs and antifems either don't check or can't read, so what's the point?).

Ultimately, a movement of the blind leading the blind and the classical scenario of, "Yeah, but what if we're making the world a better place for no reason?"

Also, the irony behind, "Why are you all so thin skinned??", shouted the anti SJW angrily.

Just look up fat activists and see their arguments. I have already posted a couple in the other SJW thread. I linked to Sofie Hagen's Twitter page where she whined about that obesity health ad and I posted a screen shot to someone's blog post for dumping her "toxic" friend just because she decided to lose weight so she said her friend was fatphobic.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 11:01 am

I came across Mobility Mary and I have been watching her videos now.

https://www.odometer.com/lifestyle/2452 ... n-youtube/

She could be a SJW because of how whiny she is. She has plenty of room to get around. She can just ride up to the True Value door and knock. Many people ignore her or get snarky because of her attitude. She can say excuse me or wait for people to move out of the way. She is known as "crazy lady" by viewers and people who have reposted her videos.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2018, 2:28 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Mythos wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Just look up fat activists and see their arguments. I have already posted a couple in the other SJW thread. I linked to Sofie Hagen's Twitter page where she whined about that obesity health ad and I posted a screen shot to someone's blog post for dumping her "toxic" friend just because she decided to lose weight so she said her friend was fatphobic.
Accepting that being overweight is healthy is not the best course for action, as many I'm sure would accept. With that in mind, fat activism as far as I can tell is the acceptance that some people are overweight, and will struggle to get over weight gain because of any number of reasons (not all of them just regarding overeating; stress, anxiety, depression, maybe more obscure factors such as agarophobia, could all lead to obesity).

From my understanding, being proud of oneself even if you have some flaws is typical human nature. Some people don't care about being overweight anymore because they have more focus in life. Health for some people is a massive thing, as it should be for those hoping to lead long lives without any of the struggles. For others, they're more interested in education, occupation, relationships, and general satisfaction.

In other senses, the idea of extra fat being unappealing is not entirely true either; some people do like a little extra weight, whilst a particular set don't like skin and bones types atop this (myself included). Perhaps some people don't like the focus being on extra fat being unhealthy whilst lacking it is also pretty deadly (albeit likely not as bad). Perhaps people who are anorexic or bulemic don't like focus being placed on organisations designed to fight extra weight whilst those who attempt to correct lack of it are undermined and trivialised.

Beyond this, fat activism being another component to an "SJW" agenda is questionable. I have to wonder, if this is part of it, couldn't thin activism be equally part of the SJW agenda? I mean, it's technically social justice in a sense. With that said, this is one minute sect of a large movement of progressivism designed to move forward the rights of women, minorities, the disabled and the poor or otherwise marginalised. Criticism of this one aspect, as small as it is, begins to be regarded as a large and influential point in the social justice movement. One or two crazies blogging on Tumblr does not undermine this gargantuan movement that strives to bring together the forgotten, ignored and trampled sects of a society gone mad.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2018, 3:37 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
As somebody who identifies as a liberal I can admit that is something that really annoys me about some of the radical liberals.

It is likely that many of the people you are referring to as "radical liberals" do not identify as "liberal" at all, but only as "leftist" or "progressive."

An example of a staunchly liberal organization, here in the U.S.A., is the ACLU. More "radical" leftists/progressives dislike the way that the ACLU and other liberals uphold free speech for everyone including even neo-Nazis.

Here in the U.S.A., popular right-wing news commentators have chosen to conflate "liberal" and "progressive"/"leftist," which are in fact distinct (though overlapping, at least in the U.S.A.) categories. Most likely their aim in conflating them is to taint liberalism via guilt-by-association with the most extreme leftists.

In most other parts of the world, if I'm not mistaken, "liberals" are considered to be moderately right-wing. In the U.K., the Liberal party is the middle-of-the-road party, between Labour (left-wing) and Conservative (right-wing).