Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 8:04 am

Would you support the idea of a jury deciding who can have guns?

It is pretty clear that we won't have privacy in the future. Why not use that fact to look for the next mass murders and take away their guns before it happens? Wouldn't a jury trial be a fairest way of deciding whether or not to take away that right?

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 9:34 am

Juries consist of the most brain-dead dodo-heads in existence. Juries don't know how to make decisions. They only follow whatever some punk-ass traitor wearing a black robe tells them to do. God help us if juries are left to decide who can and cannot have guns when these very juries are instructed by a bunch of black-robed criminals.

«If the government can select the jurors, it will, of course, select those whom it supposes will be favourable to its enactments. And an exclusion of any of the freemen from eligibility is a selection of those not excluded. It will be seen, from the statutes cited, that the most absolute authority over the jury box, that is, over the right of the people to sit in juries has been usurped by the government.»
Lysander Spoon, Trial by Jury, 1852, page 92.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 9:37 am

Slippery slope, I think. It might be one thing if a person was making obvious direct declarative statements about intending to do harm to people that way. But on the other hand, what if in the future it morphed from that to preeminent guilt based on a perceived association?

Say for example in the future ANTIFA as a group becomes violent and terroristic. Say there is a person who simply showed online support for ANTIFA. Say the Trump government decides to seize guns owned by people of a leftist persuasion who have done nothing other than declare online they are a leftist.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 10:47 am

No, because getting an impartial jury would be nearly impossible because the jury pool will have members that think nobody or everybody should have guns.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 12:08 pm

BTDT wrote:
Would you support the idea of a jury deciding who can have guns?

It is pretty clear that we won't have privacy in the future. Why not use that fact to look for the next mass murders and take away their guns before it happens? Wouldn't a jury trial be a fairest way of deciding whether or not to take away that right?

Should jury decide to strip your rights away? Like say a all republican jury votes on if abortions and drugs should be legal. Sounds good right?

Bunch of people who think I’m weird and so shouldn’t have guns cause I’m aspie and aspies are mass murders, isnt fair. We are a nation who protects the minority from the mob rule of the majority why do you want to change that?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 7:04 pm

If a jury doesn't decide, then what are the likely alternatives? A judge? Just a set of rules to automatically take guns away if someone meets a profile?

I think the POTUS will do something about these mass murders involving guns. And, as he adds more appointees to the Supreme Court, it is more likely that the Court will "rubber stamp"whatever he decides. Sure, he also needs the support of Congress, but that may not be all that hard, as they are also under pressure to do "something."

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 12:33 am

BTDT wrote:
If a jury doesn't decide, then what are the likely alternatives? A judge? Just a set of rules to automatically take guns away if someone meets a profile?

I think the POTUS will do something about these mass murders involving guns. And, as he adds more appointees to the Supreme Court, it is more likely that the Court will "rubber stamp"whatever he decides. Sure, he also needs the support of Congress, but that may not be all that hard, as they are also under pressure to do "something."

What exactly do you think he should do?

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 12:37 am

sly279 wrote:
We are a nation who protects the minority from the mob rule

Tell that to people who aren't white/straight/Christians and to women. :lol:

That's not this country at all, man.

It's one of the country's ideal - it's also one of the country's biggest lies.

TO ADD TO THIS: look at how we treat the poor.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 7:49 am

Personally, I think he shouldn't use profiling to take away guns. But, this is what POTUS does, he likes to pick on small communities like Muslims or transgenders in the military to for political gain. He does this to hide what they are really doing, like giving huge tax breaks to the rich. Or sometimes he just needs to pump up his ego. "Fair" never stands in the way of the rich getting richer.

Here is a story about the history of profiling.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180962469/
Unmasking the Mad Bomber
When James A. Brussel used psychiatry to think like a criminal, he pioneered the science of profiling

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 3:22 pm

I would say a judge or jury could adjudicate crimes like spousal abuse which would negate one's right to gun ownership. So yes.

I don't buy the slippery slope argument.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 6:20 pm

AspE wrote:
I would say a judge or jury could adjudicate crimes like spousal abuse which would negate one's right to gun ownership. So yes.

I don't buy the slippery slope argument.

Well we once had no gun laws then little by little each time saying this is all we want we got thousands of gun laws
And there’s your slippery slope

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:19 pm

Juries already have that power. Juries can put people in jail and people in jail aren't permitted to have guns.

Seriously, if you have a problem with juries having the power to take people's guns you should have a problem with juries being able to determine guilt, which results in a jail sentence because imprisonment puts a much bigger squeeze on your freedom than merely not possessing a gun.

Honestly I think laws that keep guns out of the hands of people who use them irresponsibly would actually help to prevent an outright ban on guns. When gun owners say they want anyone to be able to own a gun no matter what they've done, it doesn't make gun owners sound like a responsible group.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 2:00 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Juries already have that power. Juries can put people in jail and people in jail aren't permitted to have guns.

Seriously, if you have a problem with juries having the power to take people's guns you should have a problem with juries being able to determine guilt, which results in a jail sentence because imprisonment puts a much bigger squeeze on your freedom than merely not possessing a gun.

Honestly I think laws that keep guns out of the hands of people who use them irresponsibly would actually help to prevent an outright ban on guns. When gun owners say they want anyone to be able to own a gun no matter what they've done, it doesn't make gun owners sound like a responsible group.

Deciding if someone is guilty of a crime based on evidence is whole lot different then deciding if someone guilty of no crime should have their rights taken away by which the bill of rights says no.

People who misuse guns ie commit crimes already lose them, what we are talking about is trying to predict who might commit crimes before they every do and might never do.
Aspies are dangerous and shouldn’t have guns, really where’s the evidence? What studies show aspies are more dangerous the nts? Studies actually show aspies are more often a victim then nts.

Look here on this forum how people on the left call and see people on the right, should they be able to strip the rights rights away cause they disagree with them? Would you be fine with republicans stripping the lefts rights away cause they disagree?
Some say if you want to own a gun that makes you crazy, that’s not science that’s just a hateful opinion cause the disagree with owning guns.

That’s a strawman, Gun owners don’t say that, in fact quite a few are fine with making it so no one born different mentally can own guns. Much like the anti gunners they fear what they don’t know, they fear different. It’s irrational. No one wants murders to own guns, or violent criminals, we just want them kept locked up if they’re so dangerous. If they released that’s the government saying they aren’t dangerous anymore, if they actually aren’t dangerous then why shouldn’t they get their rights back?
Should bro nazis be able to own guns? Absolutely, they haven’t committed a crime, being a new nazi isn’t a crime.until they take some illegal action they can own guns and be horrible person. Being horrible person isn’t illegal. Rights are for everyone not just those we agree with. So antifa can own guns, gays can own guns, immigrants who become citizens can own guns. It’s the anti gun people who want to make rights for the elite or special classes, they want to section rights off to those they like only. No thanks.
A right you need government permission for isn’t a right. A right denied isn’t a right.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 2:03 am

Should they decide who has a baby?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 2:06 am

sly279 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Deciding if someone is guilty of a crime based on evidence is whole lot different then deciding if someone guilty of no crime should have their rights taken away by which the bill of rights says no.

People who misuse guns ie commit crimes already lose them, what we are talking about is trying to predict who might commit crimes before they every do and might never do.
Aspies are dangerous and shouldn’t have guns, really where’s the evidence? What studies show aspies are more dangerous the nts? Studies actually show aspies are more often a victim then nts.

Look here on this forum how people on the left call and see people on the right, should they be able to strip the rights rights away cause they disagree with them? Would you be fine with republicans stripping the lefts rights away cause they disagree?
Some say if you want to own a gun that makes you crazy, that’s not science that’s just a hateful opinion cause the disagree with owning guns.

That’s a strawman, Gun owners don’t say that, in fact quite a few are fine with making it so no one born different mentally can own guns. Much like the anti gunners they fear what they don’t know, they fear different. It’s irrational. No one wants murders to own guns, or violent criminals, we just want them kept locked up if they’re so dangerous. If they released that’s the government saying they aren’t dangerous anymore, if they actually aren’t dangerous then why shouldn’t they get their rights back?
Should bro nazis be able to own guns? Absolutely, they haven’t committed a crime, being a new nazi isn’t a crime.until they take some illegal action they can own guns and be horrible person. Being horrible person isn’t illegal. Rights are for everyone not just those we agree with. So antifa can own guns, gays can own guns, immigrants who become citizens can own guns. It’s the anti gun people who want to make rights for the elite or special classes, they want to section rights off to those they like only. No thanks.
A right you need government permission for isn’t a right. A right denied isn’t a right.

Placing limits on gun ownership is 'stripping you of all your rights as an american.' I just really don't understand that mentality as its not really true. I mean I guess if you think all our rights come down to gun ownership alone you might have a case...but aside from that there is reason to not allow guns in every environment and event. And your argument is nazis should have guns because being a horrible person is not illegal? Well hate crime is illegal you douche.

But continue I'd like to hear more about why neo-nazis should have guns, simply because being a bad person is not illegal.

Also what you think because some domestic abuser got time in jail they should then just be able to own any gun they please? Like come on if someone gets jailed for domestic abuse or other abuse, they probably should not be allowed guns even after they get out. I mean its pretty true that most child molesters that get out go on to molest other children, so why would people in for gun violence be any different.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 3:01 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Should they decide who has a baby?

Why not why not let them decide everyonethimg. Born autistic? Let a jury decide if you live. And they have to have rechecking as yiu age to decide if you deserve to continue living, want to smoke weed? Let the jury decide if your anxiety is enough or not, what do you or doctors know. We should just have Salem witch trials for everything. We should be like that Star Trek society that votes on everything and if you get too many negative votes you get executed. Doesn’t that sound swell everything, I’m sure we aspies will do well in a societynruled by social media, us lacking social skills and all.