Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2018, 9:43 am

Good day everyone.

I am a very personable 63 year old who is definitely different from the crowd. Nothing has been diagnosed, but I scored a 24 on a test yesterday which most people have gone on further testing. At my age, I'll just leave it at that. I find professional relationships and just friends (of which I have very few) work OK for me, but not intimate. Of all the people I have come across in the military, the only ones I ever see now are a retired bunch from the local area who meet for coffee once a month.

I have always been shy of the spotlight, and cannot function when it is on me, with a crowd or even just one. Which is why I am still single. I often wonder what it would be like to be with someone, but nothing ever comes of it. I spent my entire career in the Canadian military. I had no issues when I was on parade, as I was a part of a mass of soldiers marching. But when it came time to call me out to receive an award or medal, and I just fell apart. I was lucky in that the trade I had worked 24/7, so it was mostly a solitary job. No one around most of the time, and just a few during the weekdays.

As I have aged sounds have gotten worse for me. I just bailed out as a volunteer for Hospice due to their training days they hold every so often. Usually held in small venues, the voices of everyone talking drives me around the bend. It all enters my brain as awful noise. The last one I was at, I was about to run out, as I couldn't stand it any longer. At the other end of the scale, when I sit on the toilet, every time i shift a little, the seat quietly rattles against the tank. I had to put velcro dots on to stop that!

My first post here was about driving. I like to drive, as it calms me down. But I much prefer lesser driven highways if possible than the 401 here in southern Ontario.

I am clumsy as an oaf, can't sing, dance, ski, walk a tightrope. None of that.It doesn't help that I was recently diagnosed with spino-cerebellar ataxia. I've had that all my life as well. I figured I had ADD of some sort as it takes a long time to get anything done. Something catches my attention and whatever I was working on is left for another time, like when I remember I was working on something.

I don't know if it is AS or not, but after reading up on it, I see parallels with my life.

It is surprising, that so far I have been able to type all this out in one sitting (oops, had to get up for a bit just now). I'll stop boring everyone, now you can get back to what you were doing!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 2:59 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 3:11 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Since you have worked a career for your entire life, that make you a successful Aspie. So stay around and spread your words of wisdom. The young ones seem to need a little direction at times.

Autumn78
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2018, 4:26 pm

Hello.
New to Wrong Planet. Struggling with my diagnosis so I am looking for some advice.
I'm 40. Live in Canada. An educator to people with special needs. I also have high functioning autism. New to a school and struggling with communications with a few colleagues. I am having a blast teaching the students. Just feeling disconnected.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 6:02 pm

Autumn78, welcome to WrongPlanet also. In what area are you seeking advice? If you are having a blast teaching students with special needs, that sounds like a good calling.

Autumn78
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2018, 6:38 pm

Hello,
It is not the students weighing me down, it is being misunderstood by some colleagues, despite proper and ongoing communication. I am also facing a colleague who relates every flaw to my autism.

I am finding that though I am trying to keep cofident in my role, the ongoing misunderstandings are causing a lot of anxiety.

I was dignosed with/ realized I have AS only a short time ago. I am trying my best to avoid social errors. I feel overwhelmed and shameful that I cannot control some quirks yet. Yet in my job I celebrate the differences in the students I teach.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 6:56 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet from a fellow Canadian!

I hope you stick around because these forums can be entertaining as well as therapeutic so the more you read the more you might find you understand about yourself and others with Autism.

Enjoy!

:D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2018, 6:29 am

The more I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think I have to wonder anymore. I'm pretty sure I am a (soon-to-be) card carrying member of the ASD club. That's why I am an idiot when it comes to social situations and why I have lived the life of a loner.

NOW I feel depressed! I don't know why. I am just viewing everything differently now.

The light has been turned on.

*sigh*

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 6:01 pm

Welcome brightonpete!

Enjoy the forum!