Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 11:40 am

I think Jeff Bezos is a person that stands out in my mind as having a real chance of winning a presidential election against Trump. If not in 2020 and Trump is reelected for another four year term, then in 2024 against who would ever run as a republican at that point.

I believe, like most mega or giga corp CEOs today, he's left/democrat, etc. (that's actually enough there for a whole separate thread. Think about that. Democrats and the left have always been anti-corporate and now a solid number of the most influential corps on the planet are run by them. Crazy times......).

He's implemented a $15/hour minimum wage for Amazon employees (although from what I've seen there's some scary stuff in regard to employee working environments). If the country mandated $15/hour minimum federally, that would gut a lot of small business in the U.S. in a very damaging way, but that could also be another thread topic all its own.

He's far richer than Trump and clearly he has proven experience running one of the largest companies. He's at the top in being a successful executive.

He'd be the first cueball bald president and I think the country wouldn't have any issue with that whereas in the past for whatever reasons, voters haven't seemed to have voted for bald men in the highest political positions.

Having a run of the mill democratic senator or congressperson go against Trump in 2020, one that plays to the fringes, I think would stand a good chance since the vast majority of the U.S. is not "fringe".

Thoughts on Bezos?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 12:09 pm

"Amazon is also slashing some performance bonuses and its restricted stock unit program. In total, workers say losing the benefits may amount to thousands of dollars in lost pay annually"
https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-mini ... earn-less/

So, the $15 minimum wage, may hurt employees.

He's a ruthless businessman.

He seems to be anti-union.

He would be good for America, but the Democrat party would hate him.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 12:19 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
"Amazon is also slashing some performance bonuses and its restricted stock unit program. In total, workers say losing the benefits may amount to thousands of dollars in lost pay annually"
https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-mini ... earn-less/

So, the $15 minimum wage, may hurt employees.

He's a ruthless businessman.

He seems to be anti-union.

He would be good for America, but the Democrat party would hate him.

I'm not so sure they'd hate him. Democrats stick with their own better than any other party. I think throwing Franken under the bus was an anomaly. They're sticking by Ellison like glue.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 3:14 pm

He would be horrible. He makes too much money.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 4:26 pm

Amazon is an immensely amoral corporation; workers are literally treated like robots in Victorian workhouse conditions. They're almost all on temporary contracts and minimum wage. Many are collapsing due to the extremity of the conditions in Amazon warehouses and not even being given medical attention. Amazon is bringing the sweatshop out of China and into America and Britain. Bezos is literally the last person on Earth I'd want to see as US president.

I was lying awake in bed last night thinking how each US president in my lifetime has been worse than the last; Trump is worse than Obama, who was worse than Boy Bush, who was worse than Clinton, who was worse than Dad Bush. This would be the ultimate conclusion of my theory.

I just can't understand how in a country of over 300 million people, some of the most talented and humane men on the planet - the choice always ends up being between one corporate fascist or the other. Admittedly the problem is present in Europe too, but it's not nearly AS bad.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 4:38 pm

Maximum wage?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 4:41 pm

Jeff Bezos did not raise the minimum out of compassion.

Bernie Sanders and Ro Khanna successfully shamed him into doing it.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 4:54 pm

From a mega corp perspective, I think a strategy may be at play with the whole $15/hour minimum wage thing that's not being talked about but will kill many small businesses. I know I've seen articles where businesses in San Francisco had to fold because of $15 minimum wage. I had to chuckle because from what I read San Franciscans were complaining that their level of restaurant choices had gone down and they weren't sure why. Actually it was more than a chuckle.

If small business America goes out of business, big business' competition is....eliminated. Bye bye mom and pop shops and greasy spoons, hello big business masquerading as ethical small businesses. It's common sense. Force the little guy out of business.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:11 pm

Magna wrote:
From a mega corp perspective, I think a strategy may be at play with the whole $15/hour minimum wage thing that's not being talked about but will kill many small businesses. I know I've seen articles where businesses in San Francisco had to fold because of $15 minimum wage. I had to chuckle because from what I read San Franciscans were complaining that their level of restaurant choices had gone down and they weren't sure why. Actually it was more than a chuckle.

If small business America goes out of business, big business' competition is....eliminated. Bye bye mom and pop shops and greasy spoons, hello big business masquerading as ethical small businesses. It's common sense. Force the little guy out of business.

Yes. You've realised a very important point here that few others do - superficially, regulations, taxes and so forth ought to be anathema to big business, and to an extent they are, but ultimately they come down to a protection racket issued by the government to keep away competition. Whenever you hear of billionaires supporting the "liberal" agenda, as so many of them do, it's for this reason.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 9:01 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
Magna wrote:

Yes. You've realised a very important point here that few others do - superficially, regulations, taxes and so forth ought to be anathema to big business, and to an extent they are, but ultimately they come down to a protection racket issued by the government to keep away competition. Whenever you hear of billionaires supporting the "liberal" agenda, as so many of them do, it's for this reason.

"Throw the baby out with the bathwater."
"Bite off your nose to spite your face."

The sad thing is for small business that would be hurt or destroyed by a $15/hour minimum wage, the "worker" doesn't/won't care. Even to their own detriment.

I forget which airline it was about 10-15 years ago. It may have been a small regional airline. Before it died there was a contract/labor dispute that went something like this:

Union/workers: "Give us more money."
Airline: "The budget can't support it. We can't do that."
Union/workers: "Yeah, right. Give us more money."
Airline: "Seriously. We're not lying. That kind of pay hike would be unsustainable. "
Union/workers: "Do it."

Airline folded. Workers......out of work. No job. Not only no pay raise, no job.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 10:13 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
I just can't understand how in a country of over 300 million people, some of the most talented and humane men on the planet - the choice always ends up being between one corporate fascist or the other. Admittedly the problem is present in Europe too, but it's not nearly AS bad.

It's self-selection and increasingly hostile environment to honesty based on that. Decentralizing power and solving more problems with innovative technology than with government would be a big step in a better direction, if not taking more prestige off of government at least making fraud slimmer pickings.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 1:14 am

Why do you think he would win against Trump?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 9:18 am

Dylanperr wrote:
Why do you think he would win against Trump?

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/c9833da6 ... 1f890a4b60Image

he's basically why trump got elected - there's a guy earning 250 million dollars a day, paying no taxes, while the country can't get its roads fixed and privatizes education.

it took me a while to understand why back in 2016, there were people in the news, declaring they supported bernie, but now that it's hillary, they'd vote trump. If the choice were Bezos v. Trump, hell, I'd go with trump, just to see stuff burn.