Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

StarThrower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2018, 12:50 pm

This is not another thread about who you believe or why but about the process . Am I the only one who is outraged by the fact that we pay the salaries ( and lifetime benefits ) of all of those senators on the judiciary committee only to hear them make specious arguments that they know will end in a stalemate . Instead of working together to find a qualified candidate , they cling to arguments that can neither be proved or disproved but are certain to divide the electorate with emotional responses to them . Honestly , I feel that had Trump nominated George Washington for that seat , the response from the Left would have been equally Circus like . Is this really in the interest of ' We the People ' ? Partisan bickering has cost us all dearly as , at the end of the day , little changes and the corporate money continues to flow freely into the accounts of those entrusted by ' US ' to regulate ' THEM ' . Did anyone else notice that not a single question was raised about whether Justice Kavanaugh believed in corporate personhood ?

I have often wondered if Congress required all votes to have a 2/3 majority to pass , wouldn't that force the Congressmen to draft more responsible , less partisan legislation that some on the other side of the aisle could vote for? Wouldn't that serve the the taxpayers better or is everyone OK with votes going down along party lines , then being decided by a few holdouts like Collins , Flake and Manchin .

For the record , I am not a Democrat , I am not a Republican , I am a Centrist who hates seeing this country torn apart by the current climate of fear and hate . What I am hoping for in this thread is to find common ground that benefits us as Americans , NOT more of the endless , hostile , divisive partisan rancor that has become the norm .

I'll start by asking a question about something that affects ALL of us regardless of your party affiliation . How does everyone feel about the effects of Corporate money in Washington and what can be done about it ?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 1:27 pm

We are outliers viewed as dated enablers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 1:38 pm

Oh grow up. This is war. The Republicans since Reagan have largely given up bi-partisanship.

Last edited by AspE on 08 Oct 2018, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 2:01 pm

It's a scourge. It should be eliminated entirely. Unless you're extremely wealthy, you need corporate money to campaign, and those corporations expect a return on the investment they made in you. The regular people vote, but the corporations are able to buy something of much greater value than your vote and undercut you. This should not be allowed. This is why Trump was able to use the fact he wasn't bought and paid for as such a huge advantage with voters, especially when Clinton was the most bought and paid for candidate in history. It was Trump's biggest selling point imo, and I think he knew it was too.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 2:13 pm

That's a joke, right? Huge amounts of corporate money supported rump.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 2:14 pm

Democrats need to fall in line with Trump and ....

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 2:17 pm

AspE wrote:
That's a joke, right? Huge amounts of corporate money supported rump.

Only if you mean the money from his own corporation. But that doesn't count, because the point is outside influences didn't have a hold on Trump.