Planet has until 2030 to stem catastrophic climate change

Page 1 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 4:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is "climate change," for sure.

The question is: is it caused by manmade agents, or by normal climactic variation?

There is a second question! If there is climate change, how much?
Will it be insignificant? Enough to cause human extinction? Or somewhere in between?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 1:18 am

I think it's probably like the terrorist threat levels in W's time. When he got reelected they went away. If we end up with a dem president and the dems get house majority, probably climate change will suddenly become less of a danger.

And not because they really did anything about it, but because the scare tactic won't be needed any longer. At least until they need to use it again.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 7:55 am

EzraS wrote:
I think it's probably like the terrorist threat levels in W's time. When he got reelected they went away. If we end up with a dem president and the dems get house majority, probably climate change will suddenly become less of a danger.

And not because they really did anything about it, but because the scare tactic won't be needed any longer. At least until they need to use it again.

Yep, bugaboos have been used politically for centuries. "Crossing the Rubicon" and all that. The trick is knowing what they are and where they reside.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:35 am

They're wrong.

Nibiru is supposed to collide with Earth and destroy it in 1982 1986 1990 1994 1998 2004 2008 2012 2016 2020.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:44 am

Fnord wrote:
They're wrong.

Nibiru is supposed to collide with Earth and destroy it in 1982 1986 1990 1994 1998 2004 2008 2012 2016 2020.

Whenever I read "Nibiru," I think "Naboombu" from Bedknobs and Broomsticks! Oh, well. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:59 am

Fnord wrote:
They're wrong.

And I bet cheeto satan isn't doing a damn thing about it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 8:41 am

EzraS wrote:

Dead Wrong.

Ice is melting, the ocean is acidifying, forests are dying, animal species are going extinct right before our eyes (it’s said we’ve lost 60% of species in mere decades), bees are dying off, other flying insects are down 70% since the 1970’s, and reports are coming in from various scientists all over the world that biodiversity is changing big time even in relatively remote areas.

The UN’s report about 2C warning is a pipe dream. We’re on pace for 4C+ if we don’t change everything asap. This isn’t some distant future s**t, either, this is stuff we are all going to witness over the coming decades & there will be extreme heat, droughts, and literally 2 Billion+ climate refugees attempting to migrate to still inhabitable climates.

We are Beyond f****d & our best hope now is damage control. But, people are stupid and won’t change fast enough, and world leaders know this.. and thus the fastest way to limit the damage done by humans is to dramatically reduce the number of humans asap. THAT is the real reason for global divisiveness - Left/Right, white/POC, Christian/Muslim etc etc any excuse to get populations to blindly hate one another enough to kill. The power’s that be don’t truly care who wins any war or battle so long as enough people die that there’s ample clean air/water/food supply for them and their heirs. IMO, all of this pre WW3 nonsense is about one thing and one thing only: Depopulation.

I wish I was wrong, but I really don’t think so.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 10:18 am

goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Dead Wrong.

Ice is melting, the ocean is acidifying, forests are dying, animal species are going extinct right before our eyes (it’s said we’ve lost 60% of species in mere decades), bees are dying off, other flying insects are down 70% since the 1970’s, and reports are coming in from various scientists all over the world that biodiversity is changing big time even in relatively remote areas.

The UN’s report about 2C warning is a pipe dream. We’re on pace for 4C+ if we don’t change everything asap. This isn’t some distant future s**t, either, this is stuff we are all going to witness over the coming decades & there will be extreme heat, droughts, and literally 2 Billion+ climate refugees attempting to migrate to still inhabitable climates.

We are Beyond f****d & our best hope now is damage control. But, people are stupid and won’t change fast enough, and world leaders know this.. and thus the fastest way to limit the damage done by humans is to dramatically reduce the number of humans asap. THAT is the real reason for global divisiveness - Left/Right, white/POC, Christian/Muslim etc etc any excuse to get populations to blindly hate one another enough to kill. The power’s that be don’t truly care who wins any war or battle so long as enough people die that there’s ample clean air/water/food supply for them and their heirs. IMO, all of this pre WW3 nonsense is about one thing and one thing only: Depopulation.

So what if anything can I personally do about it?

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 11:29 am

James Hanson; runaway Greenhouse Effect

We're about to discover that Malthus was right.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 1:40 pm

As always, I am strongly in favor of Global Warming.

The real danger to mankind is the onset of the next period of glaciation in the current ice age. When that happens, people will be starving to death all over the place as the Earth loses it's capacity to support so much life. A warm planet is a happy and productive planet.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 3:00 pm

EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Dead Wrong.

Ice is melting, the ocean is acidifying, forests are dying, the air is full of greenhouse gas emissions, animal species are going extinct right before our eyes (it’s said we’ve lost 60% of species in mere decades), bees are dying off, other flying insects are down 70% since the 1970’s, and reports are coming in from various scientists all over the world that biodiversity is changing big time even in relatively remote areas.

1) Minimize your own environmental impact. (Waste nothing, not material items, food, water, energy/electricity, anything.)

2) Vote with your dollars when you do need things and only buy things that are from environmentally conscious sustainable source local companies as much as possible.

3) Vote for politicians and lawmakers who will shape public policy to bring our society and economy into harmony with nature.

Last edited by goldfish21 on 31 Oct 2018, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 6:14 pm

kokopelli wrote:
As always, I am strongly in favor of Global Warming.

The real danger to mankind is the onset of the next period of glaciation in the current ice age. When that happens, people will be starving to death all over the place as the Earth loses it's capacity to support so much life. A warm planet is a happy and productive planet.

Also dead wrong. The Earth supports as much life as it can in its' natural state. Placing excess thermal energy in a finely balanced system that already keeps us alive is mass suicide. Stop prognosticating about something you obviously can't measure.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 6:42 pm

Where’s Klaatu when you need him.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 7:05 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

1) Minimize your own environmental impact. (Waste nothing, not material items, food, water, anything.)

2) Vote with your dollars when you do need things and only buy things that are from environmentally conscious sustainable source local companies as much as possible.

3) Vote for politicians and lawmakers who will shape public policy to bring our society and economy into harmony with nature.

I knew it would come down to me needing to vote for democrats to save the earth.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 7:12 pm

I only ever vote democrat because they monopolized the green party vote.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 7:13 pm

Many conservatives in the past have supported environmental conservation, it's in the name. They just don't anymore because they're serving corrupt interests the same way you say the democrats are, although they're funded by larger polluters for the most part.