Did you enjoy fire drills at school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Space50
Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2018, 6:31 pm

I liked getting out of class for a while, but hated the initial part of the drill with the loud scary fire alarm.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 9:47 pm

I actually liked them because they got us out of class for a while. Sometimes the teachers would even let us stay outside for a second recess. The only thing wrong was that was there was no actual fire, so the school wasn't going to burn to the ground so we wouldn't have to go back to it at all. :twisted:

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Oct 2018, 3:58 pm

Getting out of class was okay but fire drills were about as boring as school, so nah, there wasn't much to enjoy really.

http://turtleforum.freeforums.org/index.php

Wolves - second only to turtles <3

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 4:06 pm

Which part? The piercing noise that rattles the fillings right out of your teeth or standing outdoors in inclement weather without proper attire being overwhelmed by hundreds of different but simultaneous conversations around you? 8)

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 5:23 am

I liked em because I got to miss class. I HATED skewl

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 7:17 am

During drills in my school all the kids in the classroom filed out, but I was told to stay where I was and practice inhaling smoke. I'm beginning to think they didn't like me.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 7:43 am

^ Image

Fire drills were enjoyable ( except I always got told off for getting all my belongings together - f**k you teacher , my mum will kill me if I lose my school coat ) , get out of class , dick about on the school field

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 12:52 pm

Oh god no! I can’t handle loud noises. Like at all. And the combination of alarm and a huge crowd of students on all sides of me talking louder and louder in an attempt to be heard over the alarm was pretty terrible and liable to send me into a panic attack so....
Also when the alarm went off without notice it used to scare me really badly and everyone in class would make fun of me for it.
And I didn’t like getting out of class cause a lot of times we were in the middle of something and it was frustrating that it got messed up.
Tornado drills were also awful. Actually those might be worse cause of the weird position you had to sit in.

Ask me anything, I love answering!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 12:59 pm

I went to grade school in the 1970s and even though I hated fire drills for the reasons I gave in my previous post, I had no problem with the Cold War air raid or nuclear bomb drills. I don't recall if the fire alarm was sounded. I don't think it was. Instead, we didn't have to go outside. The school building was designated as a "Fallout Shelter" and we just had to go into a hallway, sit on the floor with our backs against the wall, with our knees up and put our hands over our head practicing waiting to die in that position from a nuclear attack. For some reason that didn't bother me as much as fire drills.

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 1:09 pm

The fire drills were alright, but I didn't care much for the disaster drills -- especially one time, that wasn't a drill at all. We knew a tornado warning had been issued! We were all crouched down in the hall against the wall with our hands over our heads. I remember thinking what I should do is run the hell out of there to my house, which was a block away, and take shelter in the basement!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 12:37 am

I enjoyed fire drills because I got to roll outside and enjoy the fresh air. :mrgreen:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 7:34 am

When I was 5 I used to cry whenever the fire drill went off at school. This wasn't because of the loud noise of the bell or anything. It was because I thought there was actually a fire, and it freaked me out. I grew out of it when I was 7, because I knew that fire drills were just practises. So it didn't bother me any more.

At high school kids used to set off the fire alarm, which was annoying because sometimes it would happen 2-3 times a week and the whole school had to keep trooping outside.

On antidepressants (50mg Sertraline) ~ Helps control emotional outbursts but not general anxiety.

brightonpete
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2018, 8:03 am

I rarely experienced them. Just once in a blue moon it seems. It was OK, but I did get a bit edgy with EVETONE gathered en masse outside. Crowds don't go well with me.