Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 2:17 am

About a month ago the Doctor prescribed me a Beta-Blocker (Bisoprolol) it was not Autism related it is because I have high-blood pressure. But I do have anxiety issues.

Although one thing I have noticed about since I have taken Bisoprolol my anxiety levels have dropped and I am starting to feel a bit more confident around people. It has caused other areas in my Autism to get worse. I am starting to feel more overwhelmed, it makes my head feel strange leading to sensory issues, I have started to get more urges to stim more than ever even including stims which I have not done for years, I want more downtime than before, I am becoming more and more fidgety especially with my arms and legs, I feel very hyperactive one minute but then get extremely low the next.

I am starting to think although some Beta-Blockers can reduce Autism or mask it a bit more I wonder if there are some Beta-Blockers that actually increases Autism, maybe it is something that needs to be researched.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 2:30 am

I took propranolol for a while for migraines. I believe it's in the same family and also is used for high blood pressure. It did seem to help the migraines and had the added benefit of sharply reducing essential tremor, but it caused too many respiratory side effects (coughing, shortness of breath) so I stopped it. I didn't notice any autism symptom changes; perhaps you could give that one a trial and see if it works better on average.

There Are Four Lights!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 7:15 am

https://www.anxieties.com/159/beta-bloc ... 7ybU7xKhhE
Beta blockers are also prescribed for social anxieties.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Oct 2018, 2:06 pm

Darmok wrote:
I took propranolol for a while for migraines. I believe it's in the same family and also is used for high blood pressure. It did seem to help the migraines and had the added benefit of sharply reducing essential tremor, but it caused too many respiratory side effects (coughing, shortness of breath) so I stopped it. I didn't notice any autism symptom changes; perhaps you could give that one a trial and see if it works better on average.
I'm on Propranolol for Essential Tremor & I haven't noticed any effects other than helping my tremors slightly & feeling a little lightheaded like my blood-pressure is lower. I heard that Propranolol is the #1 beta-blocker used for anxiety but it has no effect on mine. Buspar helps my anxiety thou but Buspar is specifically for anxiety.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 7:41 pm

Propranolol saved me. I was studying for a new career and was having public meltdowns. Generally now, I’m pretty good unless tired. Beta blockers did not help my sons anxiety though.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2018, 9:06 pm

Interesting to read people's reactions. I hope your autism symptoms stabilize. I tried a beta blocker for anxiety related to autism and PTSD and it didn't seem to make a difference in my case. Then a couple years later I was prescribed atenolol for my blood pressure so I'm on it consistently. However I don't notice much if any effect on my anxiety. The one thing that significantly reduced my anxiety was routine exercise. Unfortunately I've got arthritis which is making exercise painful.

OrdinaryCitizen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2018, 4:32 am

Beta blockers can cause an impotence in men

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 10:00 pm

EyeDash wrote:
Interesting to read people's reactions. I hope your autism symptoms stabilize. I tried a beta blocker for anxiety related to autism and PTSD and it didn't seem to make a difference in my case. Then a couple years later I was prescribed atenolol for my blood pressure so I'm on it consistently. However I don't notice much if any effect on my anxiety. The one thing that significantly reduced my anxiety was routine exercise. Unfortunately I've got arthritis which is making exercise painful.

We’re opposites! I need to exercise or my pain gets worse. I take it slow though and started with exercises meant for seniors (before I became a senior). Exercising in a pool is easier for people with arthritis. The water takes a lot of the weight off your joints.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 11:10 pm

Beta Blockers used to be prescribed (at least as late as the 1980s) for stage fright.

Today I learned of amazing research about cancer by NZ doctor Sween Tan which informed me that Beta Blockers can alter hormone levels too, if his theory about cancer is validated it may be a huge gamechanger. Will post a link, in case anyone's interested. Those of us who have had or still have cancer may find it particularly interesting:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... eat-cancer

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 7:08 pm

I am on bisoprolol 2.5-5mg and I find it just helps slow down my jittery heartbeat a bit. I am on it to treat tachycardia/prevent long QT syndrome. I can't tolerate higher doses as my bp is already low. Maybe if I could tolerate higher doses but it doesnt help my anxiety much at this dose.