Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 12:23 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet...

Merboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2018, 7:54 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet Friend_of_Sankt_Veit!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 8:17 pm

supercreativname wrote:
i live in Germany and here most People speak two languages: german and english. It has become perfectly normal for People to read books in the english original (instead of the german Translation) and to view Shows/films in english (especially in the age of Netflix.) Also, some People in my age - early 20s- just start inserting english phrases into german conversations. I was brought up bilingually (my mother is from England), so all the Things cool People like to do now, i have been doing since childhood (i mean, watching Thomas the Tankengine in english etc.). and i don't really see what all the fuss is about.
Sadly, all this is only true for english-language stuff... Try reading a French book or something in public, and you get very weird Looks... so being fluent in english is fine, knowing any other language is weird (german doesn't count of course).
So I guess I Kind of get what you're saying :D

How fortunate you are! In my country people read books in one language, people watch TV in one language, we do everything in my language. We only make a token effort to be bilingual. We had some very brief classes on languages such as Italian and Indonesian but an hour per week for a few weeks isn't enough to learn much. I'll have to teach myself haha