Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 12:43 am

salowevision wrote:
I've read and heard multiple perspectives on this but my take on the relationship between aspergers and masculinity is that they are inversely correlated in males. Think about every male aspie you've ever met, seen, heard of, etc. My experience; they've all been mild mannered, introverted and often have distinctly feminine physical characteristics. Plus with all the anxiety disorders associated with the autism spectrum; the idea of someone having both aspergers and high testosterone is completely laughable.

I was reading some studies and articles regarding ASD and hormone profile and I happened upon a forum where someone claimed to have aspergers and went into detail of his profound masculinity; It reminded me of one of those tweens who comment on youtube claiming to be a navy seal er something :lol:

Try not to take offense to this; I think the most important part of living with a disorder is to understand and accept it.

What's your take? Have you met any aspies who are also burly men?

Yes, I have.
Six foot four and built like Gerard Butler.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 3:19 am

I'm an aspie and decidedly un-feminine.

And being "mild-mannered and introverted" does not make you feminine. Do not mistake kindness for weakness.

Also, the derogatory tone in your posts makes it hard to take you seriously, especially when you finish with "try not to take offense at this".

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 6:36 am

I'm not sure what my testosterone level is but I have always believed that Aspie males usually have excessive testosterone, perhaps to ridiculous levels. Now, the question is, what that person chooses to do with that sort of a situation? Do they embrace it, thus appearing much more masculine? Or do they do their best to hide it thus seeming more feminine?

I have known men and even myself who actually fear the level of testosterone they may have for fear of it getting out of control or causing damage, hurting someone, etc etc.

I have always sought to control the intense amount of anger that I seem to feel on a daily basis thus exhibiting an excess of testosterone in the process. But when it comes to intellectual matters then I am somewhere in between and the only time I exhibit more feminine traits is when I am talking to women only because I desire to fit in with the group.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2018, 3:38 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:

And being "mild-mannered and introverted" does not make you feminine. Do not mistake kindness for weakness.

Also, the derogatory tone in your posts makes it hard to take you seriously, especially when you finish with "try not to take offense at this".

Being mild mannered and introverted are absolutely signs of having low testosterone. They are also not at all an indicator that a person is kind. And I say 'try not to take offense to this' because everyone on this forum is in a constant state of being triggered and takes offense to everything everyone says; very much like yourself (another sign of low testosterone)

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2018, 3:43 pm

People on the spectrum produce high amounts of cortisol; and a very specific type of cortisol in particular. Cortisol KILLS testosterone. To claim that you're on the spectrum but you're also very masculine is nothing short of oxymoronic.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 3:58 pm

I'm not particularly offended; like I said, you're not coming across as someone worth taking seriously.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 4:22 pm

Seeing as I consider life to be more than just a hormonal battle, this doesn't really phase me.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Oct 2018, 4:04 am

I'm not very masculine mentally but I think I have high testosterone. I had a real high sex drive & started losing my hair in my mid 20s & started growing facial hair in 7th grade. I take meds that lower/block testosterone to lower my sex drive & to help with male-pattern baldness.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 2:36 pm

KathyKitty wrote:
salowevision wrote:
KathyKitty wrote:
Actually, yes I have. Homeland Security agent, body builder. I think he worked out twice a day to boost his pheromone field and it worked. He couldn't really talk to women, so he just put the moves on them (all the time and very successfully.) Some believe exercise & active sex life can build T. Who knows? It seemed to work for him. But with all that going on, I doubt he ever had much time or inclination to thoughtfully post to a social forum, and I think sex was the only intimacy he could manage without difficulty. Verbally he was, well... you know. So in the end, well, he was probably also fairly psychologically isolated.

That's the thing though; you can manipulate your hormones to a certain extent through lifestyle, exercise, diet, etc. but it only goes so far without a direct chemical intervention. I'd be super curious to see a picture of this guy but I realize that's not appropriate lol

Like I've always been into diet and exercise and it definitely helps me function better and feel more masculine/confident but no matter how hard I work to suppress them, the anxiety and other feminine traits will always be there.

He was what some might call "too muscular," but sorry, I don't have a photo. I'm of the belief that what we call feminine and masculine traits are cultural add-ons that wouldn't apply to those with big-picture brains. A better physical gauge of T might be baldness. Maybe you are noticing you are more brain-dominant than body-dominant or something like that. But not being an insensitive brute or muscular jock or even a little domineering doesn't mean you're not masculine, IMO.

I know I may get some flack for this, but I've got to ask:

KathyKitty, are you sure he actually had Asperger's, or did he just say that to get in your pants? "You have Asperger's, KathyKitty? What a coincidence, I have Asperger's too" and then he 'put the moves' on you.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 2:43 pm

salowevision wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Being mild mannered and introverted are absolutely signs of having low testosterone. They are also not at all an indicator that a person is kind. And I say 'try not to take offense to this' because everyone on this forum is in a constant state of being triggered and takes offense to everything everyone says; very much like yourself (another sign of low testosterone)

Salowevision, I actually laughed out loud at that last sentence, well said and well observed.

To get back to the original question, it's hard to say for sure about testosterone levels in male Aspies, because a "healthy" testosterone range is broad enough that I think most male Aspies would clock in as having a "healthy" dose of testosterone, without really saying how we stack up to the average NT male. Also, as men age, they naturally lose testosterone. But I've never really heard of male NTs becoming more Aspie-like as they age. Though it's true they slow down a bit and do seem a bit more socially 'out of touch,' but then again, other factors of aging play a role.

I do agree with your original premise for the most part. If you put a bunch of Aspie males in a room together, varied as we may be, NO ONE would confuse us for the All-Star football team. That said, I don't think injecting large amounts of testosterone into our bloodstream would rewire our brains. We'd still be autistic, still just as socially clueless, but more angry, aggressive, and balder. That's just speculation, though.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 2:50 pm

Noca wrote:
I'm neither masculine or feminine, somewhere inbetween. I have been on testosterone replacement in the past and have never had any difference in terms of my autism. My current T levels are around 340 ng/dL, quite a bit below normal for being 32 yrs old, but still in the healthy range.

My level, as of Oct. 8, is 426 ng/dL which is good, but my "percentage free" level in 1.5% while normal is 1.6 - 2.9 %. I guess that is okay. :|

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 3:04 pm

salowevision wrote:
I've read and heard multiple perspectives on this but my take on the relationship between aspergers and masculinity is that they are inversely correlated in males. Think about every male aspie you've ever met, seen, heard of, etc. My experience; they've all been mild mannered, introverted and often have distinctly feminine physical characteristics. Plus with all the anxiety disorders associated with the autism spectrum; the idea of someone having both aspergers and high testosterone is completely laughable.

I was reading some studies and articles regarding ASD and hormone profile and I happened upon a forum where someone claimed to have aspergers and went into detail of his profound masculinity; It reminded me of one of those tweens who comment on youtube claiming to be a navy seal er something :lol:

Try not to take offense to this; I think the most important part of living with a disorder is to understand and accept it.

Androgen exposure plays a role in brain development and the greatest influence of androgen on the brain happens at two points in human development. 1. During fetal development. 2. During puberty.

Some studies have found that the brains of females on the spectrum are more similar to the brains of NT males while the brains of males on the spectrum are less sexually differentiated. This likely would have happened in utero.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 3:15 pm

Chronos wrote:
Androgen exposure plays a role in brain development and the greatest influence of androgen on the brain happens at two points in human development. 1. During fetal development. 2. During puberty.

Some studies have found that the brains of females on the spectrum are more similar to the brains of NT males while the brains of males on the spectrum are less sexually differentiated. This likely would have happened in utero.

Interesting, but what does "the brains of males on the spectrum are less sexually differentiated" mean exactly? That the mind of a male with AS could just as easily be comperable to an AS female/NT male or an NT female? In my experience, the mind of a man with Asperger's is utterly different from NT males as well as very different from any given female, NT or AS.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 12:59 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Interesting, but what does "the brains of males on the spectrum are less sexually differentiated" mean exactly? That the mind of a male with AS could just as easily be comperable to an AS female/NT male or an NT female? In my experience, the mind of a man with Asperger's is utterly different from NT males as well as very different from any given female, NT or AS.

It means their brains are more feminine than the average male and more masculine than the average female.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 10:12 pm

My son has severe ASD and is very hairy and hyper, does that denote more testosterone?

I have ASD and I look manlier than most women

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 10:18 pm

Chronos wrote:
salowevision wrote:

Yes I remember that study with brain scans
They said ASD women are like NT men (but diminished in social area) and ASD men are their own distinct category

Maybe why ASD women can blend in better than ASD men ,
we can just stick to the men and be accepted by them

(although they get quite put off when they realize u are a socially deficient woman, like it is against nature )