Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jessicaleigh514
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2018, 4:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to come to terms with my new diagnosis, although I’m not surprised by it. I am 25 so I was diagnosed kind of late, relatively. Idk how to explain how I feel...but I feel weird.

I am a teacher for kids with ASD so I have been exposed to autism a lot for 2 years now. I am also going to grad school for Applied Behavior Analysis with an emphasis in autism. Autism is my life. But it’s weird for me to be the one with it.

Also, does anyone have any books they recommend for ASD/Aspie?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 4:38 pm

Welcome aboard, and welcome to the family!

There as many, many books out there.

A member named jimmy_m has written a book.

If I can't find the title, someone else surely will.

:D

jessicaleigh514
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2018, 4:40 pm

Thank you :) how did you cope when you learned of your diagnosis?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 4:57 pm

Ah! Here it is: The Aspie Code.

How did I cope? For a moment, I was shocked. Then everything fell into place, and I could visualize how my life had unfolded under Asperger's Syndrome, and it all suddenly made sense. After that, I was excited. I wanted to tell everyone "Hey! Guess What! I know why I was so awkward, clumsy, and just plain weird!", but then common sense took hold, and I could visualize how people would react knowing that my brain was wired differently than theirs when they had thought all along that I was just "eccentric". So I keep my "condition" to myself. No one knows except the people who diagnosed me.

Otherwise, I get along fine.

AltoClarinet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Oct 2018, 5:41 pm

Three books that have helped me:

The Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships by Sean Barron and Temple Grandin

Living Independently on the Autism Spectrum by Lynne Soraya

Life and Love: Positive Strategies for Autistic Adults by Zosia Zaks

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 5:55 pm

Welcome, Jessica.

I was diagnosed at 44, a few years ago, and it still feels a bit weird sometimes. I agree with what Fnord said; it has made sense of an awful lot of things, though it's taking quite a while to process four decades' worth of past experiences, and I'm still discovering plenty of new things even now. A few people who are close to me know my diagnosis; others, I'm a little more honest about particular traits with, and the majority I don't mention it to at all, unless something happens where it might be the simplest explanation to give.

I've never really gone in for reading books about autism; I've always done most of my research on-line by reading blogs and using forums like this one. I prefer it that way, as it means that I get to see autism from a huge number of different viewpoints, and I find it easier to focus on a specific aspect of being autistic. Whatever way you prefer to learn about it, try not to overdo it; I've found that there's vastly more to be learned than I ever imagined when I received my diagnosis, and I've overloaded myself with new information quite a few times!

I hope you'll enjoy it here as much as I do.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 6:09 pm

I was diagnosed when I was ten.
I recommend, not specifically for autism but for a lot of comorbidities and certain traits of autism;
The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children [Ross W. Greene PhD]

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 9:12 am

Yes, Jimmy m has written a pretty good book on the subject which I recently read - I'd recommend it, though if you stick around you'll end up reading it in its entirety anyway; he tends to quote from it in his posts.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 2:58 pm

jessicaleigh514 wrote:

What kind of books do you mean? Recommended for giving them to ASD kids or for best dealing with ASD or to learn about ASD?
Btw: Shouldn't you already know some of them if teaching ASD kids?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 3:07 pm

I found out I was ASD just about a year ago and for me it has been a wonderful blessing. At last, my world made sense. I also have a career working with people with developmental disabilities including ASD, some 20 years. So it was surprising to discover I am not so different from the people I help.
Welcome to the forum. It is the main source now of my "reading" in the world of ASD. There is a lot of wisdom here.

jessicaleigh514
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2018, 7:37 am

quite an extreme wrote:
jessicaleigh514 wrote:

What kind of books do you mean? Recommended for giving them to ASD kids or for best dealing with ASD or to learn about ASD?
Btw: Shouldn't you already know some of them if teaching ASD kids?

Yes I do know a lot about it since I teach it and I’m essentially getting my masters in it. But I would like suggestions for books with skills and coping skills and coming to terms with having ASD.

jessicaleigh514
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2018, 7:38 am

blazingstar wrote:
I found out I was ASD just about a year ago and for me it has been a wonderful blessing. At last, my world made sense. I also have a career working with people with developmental disabilities including ASD, some 20 years. So it was surprising to discover I am not so different from the people I help.
Welcome to the forum. It is the main source now of my "reading" in the world of ASD. There is a lot of wisdom here.

Thank you :) I hope I can find it to be a blessing as well. I think it will get better once I receive some treatment.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:06 am

jessicaleigh514 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to come to terms with my new diagnosis, although I’m not surprised by it. I am 25 so I was diagnosed kind of late, relatively. Idk how to explain how I feel...but I feel weird.

I am a teacher for kids with ASD so I have been exposed to autism a lot for 2 years now. I am also going to grad school for Applied Behavior Analysis with an emphasis in autism. Autism is my life. But it’s weird for me to be the one with it.

Please remain a teacher! Your students and future students need your insight to let them feel it is okay to be different.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 10:53 am

jessicaleigh514 wrote:
Thank you :) I hope I can find it to be a blessing as well. I think it will get better once I receive some treatment.

I have to ask: What made you get tested? You seem surprised you're autistic, though you're clearly familiar with it based upon the kids you work with. Did you take it upon yourself, or did another teacher or administrator suggest to you that you get tested?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 11:57 am

I had the everything now makes sense reaction. Also knowing that I was born this way and my problems were not all due to character flaws such as being weak or lazy helped my self esteem a lot.

It does help the kids knowing somebody like them is doing well.
As you learn more about autism you will learn more about both yourself and your students and what you share both the problems and the gifts. This will make you a better teacher.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 12:14 pm

Hi Jessica, and welcome aboard!

I have read quite a few. For a first resource I would recommend:
Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Understanding Life Experiences from Early Childhood to Old Age
by Sarah Hendrickx

'Written for professionals, women on the spectrum and their families, this is a cradle to grave overview of girls and women with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) at each stage of their lives. The book explores how women with ASD experience diagnosis, childhood, education, adolescence, employment, sexuality, pregnancy and motherhood, and aging'.

Isabella