Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 12:14 pm

Hi Jessica, and welcome aboard!

I have read quite a few. For a first resource I would recommend:
Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Understanding Life Experiences from Early Childhood to Old Age
by Sarah Hendrickx

'Written for professionals, women on the spectrum and their families, this is a cradle to grave overview of girls and women with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) at each stage of their lives. The book explores how women with ASD experience diagnosis, childhood, education, adolescence, employment, sexuality, pregnancy and motherhood, and aging'.

Isabella

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2018, 2:23 am

Hey Jessica! I only recently learned about it myself, about three months ago(weirdly enough, three months to the day before I made my WP account) and I had it slightly different than other folks. Like my "Everything makes sense" reaction was delayed really until I saw the posts here and read about the experiences of others and it made total sense after that. Like in the past week, I've learned more about it than in the rest of my life combined. But yeah good on you teaching kids with ASD though! I can only imagine how happy those kids are with a teacher that understands them.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 5:25 am

jessicaleigh514 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to come to terms with my new diagnosis, although I’m not surprised by it. I am 25 so I was diagnosed kind of late, relatively. Idk how to explain how I feel...but I feel weird

While it can give you a greater insight into yourself you also have to remember that you were exactly the same person the day before your diagnosis as you were the day after